Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Two cameras, one software package.

centroid

As I am now over seven years out of date with astro software, having left the hobby in 2014, are any of the current software packages capable of running two ASCOM cameras (one imaging, and one guiding) from a single application.

Back in the day, I used Maxim DL 4, to control a two SX camera simultaneously, but it seems that much of the software now, is single camera operable, and some folk are either using two instances of the same program, or capturing with one program., and guiding with another, such as PHD.

Any thoughts?

Edited by centroid
typo

1 minute ago, vlaiv said:

I believe NINA can work for two cameras.

You start two instances and then sync them for dithers, filter change / refocusing and meridian flip

https://nighttime-imaging.eu/

It looks like the OP is referring to using an imaging camera and a guiding camera, rather than two imaging cameras.

@centroid Typically you just run one instance of the capture software, and in that run the main camera, and run the guiding via PHD, which in turn talks to the capture software.  I have never used Maxim so cant help you there.  I am not aware of any issue with using PHD separately?  In fact in SGPro (one I use most), it shows the PHD guiding trace graph within it's window.

If you want to run two imaging cameras simultaneously then that is different, but usually involves running two instances of the same software.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

It looks like the OP is referring to using an imaging camera and a guiding camera, rather than two imaging cameras.

You are quite right. I did not read carefully first part of the post.

50 minutes ago, centroid said:

some folk are either using two instances of the same program, or capturing with one program., and guiding with another, such as PHD.

That is sort of norm nowadays.

You run one capture application and one guide application (MetaGuide, PHD / PHD2 - I use PHD2).

Two can usually talk to each other and imaging app will trigger dither in guiding app.

Things do seem to have gone backwards, instead of forward, which is unusual with software development.

Pre 2014, I could run both an imaging camera, and a guide camera (both SX) in a single application. In my case, Maxim DL 4, or Astroart 5.

Unfortunately, when I gave up imaging, I had no thoughts of returning to it, and along with all the gear, I got rid of the now quite aged software.

I recently discovered among some old discs, that I still had a copy of AA5.

The only problem is, that where it would work simultaneously with an SX Lodestar, and a variety of SX imaging cameras, each with its own unique driver, my current cameras are both ASCOM. It will work fine with either of them, but not together.

Running two separate software applications, or two instances of one, seems a retrograde step. As I said, things have gone backwards.

Edited by centroid
typo

3 minutes ago, centroid said:

Running two separate software applications, or two instances of one, seems a retrograde step. As I said, things have gone backwards.

I see it as flexibility for user, and allows developers just to focus on areas they are proficient in be it capture, guiding or whatever.   Gone are the days of paying $500 for a copy of maxim, imaging software can now be downloaded for free (or a very low amount eg 18 euro for APT).   

As previously mentioned, PHD2 is seamlessly integrated into all of the popular image capture packages.

Open PHD2, connect your guide camera and mount then connect to PHD2 in your image capture software. The guide graph and relevant data is displayed in a window in your main imaging software.

I'll give it a go with  Sharpcap/PHD2, and AA5/PHD2, and see how it goes.

Just awaiting the arrival of a T2 to 1.25" eyepiece adapter to enable me to attach the 1.25" nosepiece guide cam, to the OVL OAG.

Dispatched from FLO, and should be here tomorrow.

Pity we can't order clear skies 🙂

Edited by centroid

Its also a question of modern computing power. My little i5 NUC runs windows 10, PHD2, Two versions of Sharpcap (v3.2 and 4.0), The Pulsar dome control software, C de Ciel and EQmod and still lets me control remotely using Windows remote desktop.

If there was an APP for it to make the coffee it would probably run that as well.

• Like 2

I never had that problem as I was already running PHD2 with APT when I moved to CCD from DSLR and started running AstroArt 5 for capture. I did try guiding with AA5 as I recall (SX Trius 694 / QHY5 II) but found it less easy than letting PHD2 do the guiding. PHD2 will also do your drift alignment too. Since getting my first ASA mount and Maxim I have never had to guide.

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 1

AA7 and now AA8 work fine with two ASCOM cameras and will also talk to PHD for dithering.   AA has improved it's guiding too.

I think AA6 might do it but I am not sure as at that time I was using native drivers and different brand cameras.

Edited by CCD-Freak
  • Like 2

AA8 was released on the 15th so it is "hot of the press" (^8

Looks like a bunch of new capabilities have been added and revised.   AA just keeps getting better.  I sing it praises on this side of the pond but I often get ignored.

• Like 1

Yeah,

Astroart punches well above its weight.

A highly capable and versatile software package. Does everything from preprocessing, guiding, plate solving to final image processing.

Now includes an animation feature. I use it for the solar images from the MiniSHG.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 22/09/2021 at 12:15, centroid said:

As I am now over seven years out of date with astro software, having left the hobby in 2014, are any of the current software packages capable of running two ASCOM cameras (one imaging, and one guiding) from a single application.

Back in the day, I used Maxim DL 4, to control a two SX camera simultaneously, but it seems that much of the software now, is single camera operable, and some folk are either using two instances of the same program, or capturing with one program., and guiding with another, such as PHD.

Any thoughts?

AA5 & the latest release AA8 are both capable of running 2x Ascom cameras for guider/imaging in a single instance without issue... for AA5 downloads are still available Camera Interface 5 & the Ascom plug-in Version 2.20 can be found here;

www.msb-astroart.com

add to find 1st;   /aasupp.htm

add to find 2nd;  /ccd_en.htm

Peter

Thank you Peter, I will take a look.

I did like AA5 for capture, but its weak point was guiding, hence back in the day, I invested in Maxim, which was superb at every thing it did, however its price is way OTT.

If AA8 is now more comprensive than 5, I might invest in an upgrade, about £120 I think.

I note that a functional demo is available for download, without the ability to 'save'.

While I do have Sharpcap, Altair Capture, and PHD2, I do like everything in one package. Its just what I was used to.

Processing wise, I have PixInsight, and CS6.

AA 6 and 7 added much improvement in the auto-guiding module.  AA7 introduced full frame auto-guiding which works quite well. 

I am going to the Okie-Tex Star Party  ( http://www.okie-tex.com/ ) next week and I will be checking out AA8 under the stars.  I will be interested to see if any changes to auto-guiding have been implemented.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CCD-Freak said:

AA 6 and 7 added much improvement in the auto-guiding module.  AA7 introduced full frame auto-guiding which works quite well. 

I am going to the Okie-Tex Star Party  ( http://www.okie-tex.com/ ) next week and I will be checking out AA8 under the stars.  I will be interested to see if any changes to auto-guiding have been implemented.

I look forward to reading your assessment 👍