Slow-mo knobs v’s cables

bond19

Looking to fit a Slo-mo controls to my alt-az mount. Which one is the better option?

Knobs or cables?

I’m guessing cables will allow you to track with less vibrations? But what are the advantages of installing knobs?

I’ve always preferred cables myself as I find them more comfortable ie you don’t have to reach as far to turn them which makes observing easier. I suspect you are also right that they cause less vibration on the mount than knobs. Is this for the Scopetech zero?

Yes Stu. But I’m not sure which set to choose from? 

These seem shorter and stiffer: https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-slow-motion-cable-set.html

These look longer and more flexible: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-mounts/flexible-slow-motion-control-cables-for-sky-watchercelestron-mounts.html

8 minutes ago, bond19 said:

Yes Stu. But I’m not sure which set to choose from? 

These seem shorter and stiffer: https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-slow-motion-cable-set.html

These look longer and more flexible: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-mounts/flexible-slow-motion-control-cables-for-sky-watchercelestron-mounts.html

If you’ll pardon the expression, I’ve always preferred long and flexible rather than short and stiff….. 😱🤣

I may have a spare set somewhere I could let you have but need to check.

• Haha 3

Cables all the way for me for same reasons as @Stu, long & flexible which reduces vibration to a minimum, much more comfortable and easier to use than having to grapple in the dark to find the knobs 😩

Must admit I've become a bit OCD about this and made my own, I find the only ones available nowadays are too short & stiff if you see what I mean 🤣

Couple of pics below, home made ones on my Tak FC-100DL & skywatcher ones on Tak FS-60.

IMG_2126.jpeg

IMG_2127.jpeg

• Like 1

I used the longer flexible ones with my AZ5 and ScopeTech Zero. However, with the latter mount, when using shorter OTAs like my Tak FOA 60Q, I could do with a shorter alt control.

Following @Stu’s comment above, I thought we were back to discussing Stu’s knob. But I’ve only seen that device used in the context of AZ100 mounts:

🤣

1 hour ago, jock1958 said:

Cables all the way for me for same reasons as @Stu, long & flexible which reduces vibration to a minimum, much more comfortable and easier to use than having to grapple in the dark to find the knobs 😩

Must admit I've become a bit OCD about this and made my own, I find the only ones available nowadays are too short & stiff if you see what I mean 🤣

Couple of pics below, home made ones on my Tak FC-100DL & skywatcher ones on Tak FS-60.

IMG_2126.jpeg

IMG_2127.jpeg

They look great, how did you make them?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stu said:

If you’ll pardon the expression, I’ve always preferred long and flexible rather than short and stiff….. 😱🤣

I may have a spare set somewhere I could let you have but need to check.

After all that talk about short & stiff I needed to go for a long lie down and I’ve only just seen this😳😳😳 (😂). In the interim I already scuttled off and purchased some slo-mo controls from FLO.

Very kind of you to offer though.

Edited by bond19
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stu said:

They look great, how did you make them?

Stu my DIY solution after a lot of trial & error is 6mm diameter strimmer drive cable cut down to suit off eBay, made the end connectors from stainless steel tube (I/D 6mm) tapped the grub screw holes to m4 and slo-mo control knobs off my Skytee 2.

I also used some black heat shrink and electrical tubing around the drive cable to add a bit more rigidity and improve the looks.

One word of warning though: it is extremely difficult getting hold of bi-directionally wound drive cable with the required flexibility at a reasonable price, the strimmer drive cable is wound for predominantly clockwise rotation but works really well anti-clockwise providing the worm drives on your mount are smooth in operation. 

End result is I sit comfortably with my ultra flexible slo-mo's in my lap, vibration has been virtually eliminated and they are much, much easier to use. 

IMG_0589.jpeg

Edited by jock1958
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I quite like control knobs tight to the mount as they don't get in the way, and are easy to find in the dark. My refractor is quite short so there's  little need for long drive cables. However, with longer scopes longer drive cables can be advantageous. The trouble is that the cables on offer from most astro suppliers are not very flexible and stick out pointlessly, which kind of defeats the point. You can cut a not so flexible cable in half, inserting the cables into either end of an aluminium tube to give a long flexi cable that hangs down rather then out at rightangles. (First image).

Below are some pic's, a) of my long flexi/rods attached to a GP and which were perfect for observing through a long Newtonian; b) of my rerfactor on  a Takahashi Teegul mount, and c) the short controls on my GP when using my refractor. Really its whatever works best for you.

IMG_7312.JPG

2021-06-13 20.53.23.jpg

IMG_5970.JPG

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 4

Basically, the answer depends on three  things. 

How long your arms are, where the slow motions have to be attached  to the mount ,and how long your scope is 😊.

You have to be able to reach them, and grasp then when you can't see what your doing if observing at night.

Choose the shortest which meets these requirement.  Too long and they will get in the way and possibly cause telescope shake.  Too short and you won't reach them.

Over the years I have acquired a veritable  assortment of them, just the knobs, long and short floppy ones and ones with rods instead of cables.  They have all been used at some time or other.

Edited by paulastro
typos