Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My Barn Door Mount Project (with photos)

Doc

Here's a few photo's of my barn door mount. Still not completely finished ,it still needs a clockface setting up so I can turn the screw 1/4 turn every 15 seconds and the screw cutting down to the correct length.

Also it needs a riser of some sort designing so I can place the ball head camera mount higher up.

The screw I decided on was a 1/4"UNC 20tpi thread and this made the hinge to middle of screw radius 11.43" .To get this as perfect as I could, I made the screw and tilting mechanism on a slliding plate so just by undoing a few bolts I can achieve that perfect 11.43".

The whole screw pivots top and bottom so to avoid tangent error. I can vouch that it is very smooth both up and down and no binding of the threads have accured in practice.

The finder is from my TAL 100r and has the crosshairs so polar aligning shouldn't be to bad as the whole lot is mounted on the TAL EQ mount.

Plus I have the wixey to get the latitude spot on. Going to invest in a few small bubble levels as well.

The only negative I can say is that the piano hinge has a little play in it. Will this effect the final image I can't say as yet.

Remember this is only Mark 1 version I have plans for a bearing and shaft hinge for the Mark 2 version.

If it works Ok my next step is to add a 1 RPM motor and bracket to it.

Hope you enjoy the photo's and comment and advice really welcome.

img0663.jpg

img0662.jpg

img0664.jpg

img0667.jpg

img0660.jpg

img0656.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers Rob but I wouldn't call myself an engineer. Maybe a Jack of all trades and a master of none.

Peter good idea about those hinges. I was told piano hinges are the way to go but I think there's to much play.

It's definetly a cheap mans astrotrac have onlly spent maybe £10 so far.

Doc, you have got a lot further than me, my design is still on paper but following a similar design to yours, even to using 1/4" UNC thread which I have in stainless steel.

If you are interested my motor drive was to be a solid rubber drive wheel onto a metal disk, the rubber drive to have a slight taper, by a simple screw device its position can be altered on the disk to give variations in speed, as I understand this is needed to cater for the use of lenses of varying focal length. Thought this may give you some idea for a drive unit. Lovely job so far, looking forward to an update.

John.

• 1 month later...

Very good Mick. Look forward to the results. Might be worth getting some form or QR plate adapter to make fitting the camera easier. I invested in a few Manfrotto 323 adapters for that reason... I got fed up with all the different fittings, from the camera tripod, to the monopod, the satcatcher and piggy back.

Thats a good idea John.

Like most things this at the moment another unfinished project. I seem to have a knack of doing this, starting something and not finishing it.

• 2 months later...

If you are interested my motor drive was to be a solid rubber drive wheel onto a metal disk, the rubber drive to have a slight taper, by a simple screw device its position can be altered on the disk to give variations in speed, as I understand this is needed to cater for the use of lenses of varying focal length. Thought this may give you some idea for a drive unit. Lovely job so far, looking forward to an update.

John.

The taper will allow you to fine tune the drive rate but once you have it sorted it shouldn't need changing for the focal length of the lens...

The focal length has no effect onthe rate that the "stars" move across the sky only on how visible any tracking errors are...

Adjust it out with a longer focal length lens fitted and you'll be ready for anything...

Peter...

• 9 months later...

Lovely piece of work.

I hope to build a Barn Door for my camera since I do not have a telescope. Where did you source the hexagonal bolt which connects to the main screw? Also, the brackets on the upper pivot - did you make these yourself?

Cheers,

Austin

I never got round to use this, the hexagonal nut is just a bog standard extention nut you can buy at any B&Q. The brackets I found in work lying in the workshop so borrowed them.

It was dead easy to make the only important measurement is the one from your screw to the hinge this must be pretty exact, I overcome this by slotting the part the brackets sit on so this can be moved to get the required exact measurement.

I was going to fit a 1 rpm motor onto the screw so it would move the required pitch which would equate to the motion of the Earth but never got round to it.

It now has a broom handle extention in the middle and top of this is a camera ball and socket arrangement and the camera looks well cool sitting on top of this.

• 9 months later...

I want to build a barn door I have made my own design that does not use hinges

anyway I am a bit confused about the alignment some pictures I have seen have a scope fitted but they dont seem to be by the hinge so ime not sure how they align this

Archived