NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Beaut of a Perseid

I had 3 cameras whirring away last night.  As is so often the case, a lot of the best meteors I saw fell just out of frame or between exposures!  Of the 1700 images I waded through this morning, this stunner at 00:55 on the night of 12/13 August was my favourite, from the edge of the Cambridgeshire Fens.  

275366563_20210812PerseidFireballoverFerryLagoon.thumb.jpg.2ee910dbbb235a63fc69c200a7062534.jpg

To remove some of the noise from the sky, I stacked 32 13 second exposures, taken on a Canon 6D with Samyang 24mm lens at f/2.8 and ISO 3200.  Stacked in Sequator, edited in Lightroom and Photoshop.  Enjoy! 📷

Edited by FenlandPaul
  • Like 34

That's fabulous. Well done. I also saw a very bright one at 12.55, although from my perspective it passed between Jupiter and Saturn, a little further to the left of yours. I presume that's due to our differing locations and the view against the background stars.

Glad someone caught it, as I hadn't set up the camera; too much cloud here for most of the night.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ShrewView said:

That's fabulous. Well done. I also saw a very bright one at 12.55, although from my perspective it passed between Jupiter and Saturn, a little further to the left of yours. I presume that's due to our differing locations and the view against the background stars.

Glad someone caught it, as I hadn't set up the camera; too much cloud here for most of the night.

Thankyou!  That's sounds plausible given you're over in the West, but I don't pretend to be a triangulation expert!  It was caught in Oxfordshire as well here, and in that image it's a little to the left of the centre line of the Milky Way.  So from where you are it may well have been between Jupiter and Saturn!

• Thanks 1

• FenlandPaul changed the title to Beaut of a Perseid

I caught one that from a visual point of view I had not seem anything like it before. It lit up the sky and actual hurt my eyes (I was in a bortle 4 sky).

I quickly looked at my tab that was controlling the asiair and I had got the fire ball as an image. Just need to get back home from camping to process them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chefgage said:

I caught one that from a visual point of view I had not seem anything like it before. It lit up the sky and actual hurt my eyes (I was in a bortle 4 sky).

I quickly looked at my tab that was controlling the asiair and I had got the fire ball as an image. Just need to get back home from camping to process them.

Fantastic - look forward to seeing that! 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tommohawk said:

Nice result! I had my camera set up and ready to go last night but was too tired and turned in at midnight!

My loss!

Things were very slow initially and I felt the same (especially as I’d not brought a comfy chair with me so was getting neck ache!). Glad I stuck with it - tiredness today was worth it. ☺️

33 minutes ago, Trevor N said:

That’s a good shot. I managed one very faint trail. It’s like fishing and you’ve reeled in a beauty !

Even during a big shower the hit rate is quite slim. I took around 1700 images in total from 3 cameras, and from that haul there are just 3 photogenic meteors (25 in total, most very faint). 

• 2 weeks later...

That is a lovely image.

I think this must be the same meteor (23:56),  from my garden in the Waveney Valley just outside Diss. 

Didn't have such a beautiful background, but pleased to get Andromeda in the shot.

Perseid.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bonamy said:

That is a lovely image.

I think this must be the same meteor (23:56),  from my garden in the Waveney Valley just outside Diss. 

Didn't have such a beautiful background, but pleased to get Andromeda in the shot.

Perseid.jpg

That’s a lovely shot - great capture! But I think it must be a different meteor to the one I caught as it’s in (almost) the opposite direction to the one above, which wouldn’t make sense from your Norfolk location. Great pic, though - you can really see the green colour!