Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Seeking HEQ5 Pro advice

First post, and hopefully not the equivalent of a 'what's the best oil' on a car forum...

I'm a full time professional photographer but new to astrophotography. I bought a Move-Shoot-Move rotator to dip my toe in the water but really found it a faff, so didn't use it very much.

I'm looking to buy a good tracking mount that I can use initially with a DSLR for imaging, and with a view to adding a telescope in dues course.

I don't have oodles of cash to spend and after some keyboard research I've settle on the Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro. From the research I've undertaken this looks like a good compromise for me. A capable mount to start with and something I can progress with.

Before I buy one (amazingly it is one of the few/only mounts I can currently find in stock in the UK) I thought I'd ask whether I'm about to make a 'bad' purchase?

TIA.

• Like 1

I've recently bought one second hand mainly for ap but also for visual. Only used it last week for aiming at the moon so not polar aligned but so far I'm really pleased with it. You may want to consider a Rowan belt upgrade before you buy - not essential but check it out! 

1 hour ago, YellowHound said:

it is one of the few/only mounts I can currently find in stock in the UK

Your other option, of course, is to look out for a second hand one from this site.

21 hours ago, YellowHound said:

First post, and hopefully not the equivalent of a 'what's the best oil' on a car forum...

I'm a full time professional photographer but new to astrophotography. I bought a Move-Shoot-Move rotator to dip my toe in the water but really found it a faff, so didn't use it very much.

I'm looking to buy a good tracking mount that I can use initially with a DSLR for imaging, and with a view to adding a telescope in dues course.

I don't have oodles of cash to spend and after some keyboard research I've settle on the Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro. From the research I've undertaken this looks like a good compromise for me. A capable mount to start with and something I can progress with.

Before I buy one (amazingly it is one of the few/only mounts I can currently find in stock in the UK) I thought I'd ask whether I'm about to make a 'bad' purchase?

TIA.

Hi from another professional photographer who's also into astro 😃 The HEQ5 Pro is a solid choice, good for DSLR work (overkill, really) and also suitable for light to middle-weight telescopes. The mount I use is very similar in specifications.

Edited by Lee_P

Great choice as a starting mount. I suspect you will need to tweak it a bit from new to remove excess backlash - I did with both my SW mounts. Providing you keep the loading reasonable it is very capable performs for the money.

8 hours ago, YellowHound said:

TIA.

It's a capable mount for sure. Certainly plenty capable for a camera and lens, and would happily carry a small (maybe also medium) refracter.  You've also got the option to add the Rowan belt upgrade at a later date to get better performance out of it if/when you decide to get a scope.

The only thing l would say though, is Skywatcher mounts do tend to be a bit on the heavy side - no problem if you're only going to be using at home, but if you're planning on travelling out and about, you might want to consider something lighter (e.g. iOptron) (and l say this as a Skywatcher mount owner)

Thank you to everyone that has replied - much appreciated.

I have to admit that the more I think about this the more I wonder whether I'm making the right choice.

My first aim is imaging, rather than observing. And I'm more likely to be capturing what I'd call astrophotography landscapes.

Big downside of the HEQ5 Pro is the weight.

So I've been challenging myself to look more at mounts that primarily fulfil my photography objectives.

Which has led me to the iOptron Skyguider Pro with iPolar at £579. But then if I add the Williams Optics wedge which seems to be recommended as an 'essential' upgrade, along with a spare battery and two camera cables I'm up at £817. Very close to the price of the HEQ5 Pro.

My head is tending toward this as a better option. It's not a tracking mount you'd rush to add a telescope to (?) but given I'm going to be driving/trekking to locations, and the types of images I want it may well be much better suited to my needs.

Thoughts/guidance much appreciated.....

48 minutes ago, YellowHound said:

I have to admit that the more I think about this the more I wonder whether I'm making the right choice.

My first aim is imaging, rather than observing. And I'm more likely to be capturing what I'd call astrophotography landscapes.

So I've been challenging myself to look more at mounts that primarily fulfil my photography objectives.

Which has led me to the iOptron Skyguider Pro with iPolar at £579. But then if I add the Williams Optics wedge which seems to be recommended as an 'essential' upgrade, along with a spare battery and two camera cables I'm up at £817. Very close to the price of the HEQ5 Pro.

My head is tending toward this as a better option. It's not a tracking mount you'd rush to add a telescope to (?) but given I'm going to be driving/trekking to locations, and the types of images I want it may well be much better suited to my needs.

I too have a S.W. HEQ5 pro mount witch I use for astrophotography, never has it let me down.

HEQ5 mount is great for astrophotography but I wouldn't carry it around with me (10kgs plus 2x5kg counterweights - if required) plus a power pack!

The sky watcher star adventurer or I-optron equivalent would be a good choice to consider though.

Very portable, tracks celestial objects for long exposure photography and powered by batteries (Li-ion rechargeables).

If you're gonna trek I'd use one of those!

1 hour ago, YellowHound said:

Do you use at home or take it 'on location'.

Interested in just how transportable it is.

Mostly at home have taken it to stargazing parties before. As others said for going for a one nighter it is a bit on the heavy side

I've just upgraded from a Skyguider Pro to a HEQ5 but the only reason why I changed was that I wanted more accurate tracking with longer focal lengths using narrowband filters so long exposures.

Before I very recently took an interest in going deeper in space and needing bigger, heavier equipment I shot wide field astro landscapes for just under 10 years. You really need to be mobile and what ever equipment you use has to be fairly light weight and portable, the HEQ5 is just way to heavy and bulky + you only really need Ra tracking not Ra and Dec that the HEQ5 delivers. My local beach is at the bottom of a 100ft cliff and there is no way I'd even consider carrying my HEQ5 down there and back! 😂

I've used the Move Shoot Move and for any thing under 50mm I would say its the best tracker. The trick with the MSM is you really need an accurate way to polar align, many people struggle with using a ball head connected the tracker then another ball head on top of that. You really need a geared head underneath the tracker something like a Manfrotto 410jr or the Benro geared head and 5 minute exposures @24mm is a breeze.

If you do need more precision for longer FL something like the Skywatcher Star Adventurer of Ioptron Skyguider Pro would be more suitable (BTW I'm selling my Skyguider  Pro with W/O wedge and extras soon).

14 minutes ago, Mike73 said:

I've just upgraded from a Skyguider Pro to a HEQ5 but the only reason why I changed was that I wanted more accurate tracking with longer focal lengths using narrowband filters so long exposures.

Before I very recently took an interest in going deeper in space and needing bigger, heavier equipment I shot wide field astro landscapes for just under 10 years. You really need to be mobile and what ever equipment you use has to be fairly light weight and portable, the HEQ5 is just way to heavy and bulky + you only really need Ra tracking not Ra and Dec that the HEQ5 delivers. My local beach is at the bottom of a 100ft cliff and there is no way I'd even consider carrying my HEQ5 down there and back! 😂

I've used the Move Shoot Move and for any thing under 50mm I would say its the best tracker. The trick with the MSM is you really need an accurate way to polar align, many people struggle with using a ball head connected the tracker then another ball head on top of that. You really need a geared head underneath the tracker something like a Manfrotto 410jr or the Benro geared head and 5 minute exposures @24mm is a breeze.

If you do need more precision for longer FL something like the Skywatcher Star Adventurer of Ioptron Skyguider Pro would be more suitable (BTW I'm selling my Skyguider  Pro with W/O wedge and extras soon).

Thanks Mike - good advice!

It was the polar alignment that I struggled with when using the MSM. 

Am I wasting my money on the iPolar? Having struggled with the MSM I'm tempted to go all-in on polar alignment on my next purchase.

Oh, and is the Williams Optics mount really a big/essential upgrade?

Edited by YellowHound

4 hours ago, YellowHound said:

If those are your thoughts then have you considered the EQ-M 35 PRO? There are two for sale on ABS.

2 hours ago, YellowHound said:

Thanks Mike - good advice!

It was the polar alignment that I struggled with when using the MSM. 

Am I wasting my money on the iPolar? Having struggled with the MSM I'm tempted to go all-in on polar alignment on my next purchase.

Oh, and is the Williams Optics mount really a big/essential upgrade?

Best using the laser with the MSM not the polar align reticule that they sell. I was sceptical with their claims of 5 minute exposures just with the laser but as long as you use either a well levelled wedge or a geared head it was completely possible but most of the time I shot 800iso @ f/2 for 2 minutes maybe a little longer if I went somewhere really dark.

If you do chose MSM then drop them an email first asking where they are shipping from. It will probably be China so expect a 20 day minimum wait for delivery, I haven't heard of anyone receiving anything from their Euro warehouse this year?! 20 days will really take you up to the end of Milky Way season.

I dont know much about ipolar but personally I dont think polar alignment for wide angle lenses is critical enough to need one, just sounds like extra expense and weight in your bag you dont need.

The WO wedge became really handy when I needed accurate polar alignment, its also just smoother and easier to use than the standard Skyguider wedge. So you dont really need it but it makes life easier when you are fumbling around in the dark. If you are interested in the Skyguider Pro then watch Peter Zelinkas reviews on YouTube, I completely agree with his pro's and con's on the Skyguider.

Just now, Mike73 said:

Best using the laser with the MSM not the polar align reticule that they sell. I was sceptical with their claims of 5 minute exposures just with the laser but as long as you use either a well levelled wedge or a geared head it was completely possible but most of the time I shot 800iso @ f/2 for 2 minutes maybe a little longer if I went somewhere really dark.

If you do chose MSM then drop them an email first asking where they are shipping from. It will probably be China so expect a 20 day minimum wait for delivery, I haven't heard of anyone receiving anything from their Euro warehouse this year?! 20 days will really take you up to the end of Milky Way season.

I dont know much about ipolar but personally I dont think polar alignment for wide angle lenses is critical enough to need one, just sounds like extra expense and weight in your bag you dont need.

The WO wedge became really handy when I needed accurate polar alignment, its also just smoother and easier to use than the standard Skyguider wedge. So you dont really need it but it makes life easier when you are fumbling around in the dark. If you are interested in the Skyguider Pro then watch Peter Zelinkas reviews on YouTube, I completely agree with his pro's and con's on the Skyguider.

Thanks Mike.

Having just sold my MSM I won't be buying another.

I have been looking at a lot of the info posted by Peter Zelinkas this afternoon. He doesn't rate the iPolar at all. His reasoning seems sound so I feel comfortable dropping that from my 'buy' list.

I'm heading up to the Lakes at the end of this month so am thinking of having a set up to take with me.

15 hours ago, YellowHound said:

Thanks Mike.

Having just sold my MSM I won't be buying another.

I have been looking at a lot of the info posted by Peter Zelinkas this afternoon. He doesn't rate the iPolar at all. His reasoning seems sound so I feel comfortable dropping that from my 'buy' list.

I'm heading up to the Lakes at the end of this month so am thinking of having a set up to take with me.

Personally, having always struggled with a manual PA,  I found the iPolar an absolute joy to use, It's so good in fact it's over far too quickly. 

PA (perfect according to the simple software) took less than 2 minutes and after a couple of goes I had "perfect" PA in under a minute.

However, I do find the ASIAIR I'm now using (with my AZ GTi and WO wedge on 3/8" SS tripod) pretty darn simple too and It does everything from controlling my mount to image capture and guiding.

You might say it's a near perfect widefield travel setup, just what you need and it might just be for sale very soon 😉.

If you read through any similar posts you will get some conflicting opinions as to what would suit.  Having started with an EQ5 and then found it wasn't up to the job with the scope I opted for and then moved up to an HEQ5 I would strongly recommend it.  It's borderline grab and go... you wouldn't want to trek far with that over your shoulder, but it is still transportable.  It has excellent tracking abilities for the class of mount, and I would recommend either getting the belt drive upgrade or buying one with it already fitted.

With any imaging rig the mount is more important than the rig it carries.  It's no good having the best camera / lens or camera and scope if the mount isn't stable.  The HEQ5 is rock solid.  Mine is housed in an observatory, manages an explorer 200P with a finder/guider scope and a canon D400 DSLR...  I did have an ST80 guidescope, but that combo was really pushing the load capacity and stability to its limit, but still gave decent images as being inside the observatory it was fairly shielded from the wind.

For imaging, go computer controlled.  Use an EQDIR lead, EQMOD, and for £12 get shapcap which has an excellent and easy Polar Alignment tool.  There are stacks of free planetarium software and imaging applications that support anything form webcams, DSLRs, through to SBIG cameras.... It's also worth getting some nice 8 x 40 or 10 x 50 binoculars.... so that you can sit back and look at the sky whilst the computer is running an imagine session as there is little or no input from the user once its running :)