NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Did i over process the milky way image i took last weekend from Wales?

Hi, 

I went to Wales with a mate last weekend and took this image from our campsite. I looked at lots of other AP'ers images online for reference and this is my  result. The hill is blurry because, stupidly, i didnt take a short exposure shot in order to extract it.

I tend to over process my images at first then revise them a few weeks, so i thought i would get some opinions from you fine folk I have also provided a link to my stacked image in case anyone is interested. 

I posted one named version 5 on CN forum and was told the blue was not natural and realistic, and was given a link to Clarkvision's website explaining and showing what is more real. So i worked on the colours and got version 6.

Personally, i prefer the bluer version (5) even though it may not be that realistic.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Details:

Canon 4000D unmodified

Star Adventurer 2i

50mm f/2.8

ISO 800

69 x 80sec

Stacked in either DSS or Sequator, i cant remember, but i tried both

Processed in Photoshop

Link to stacked, unprocessed file

https://we.tl/t-JuCC7lay0v

MW_CADAIRIDRIS_05.jpg

MW_CADAIRIDRIS_06.JPG

• Like 3

agreed - about first one being best, and clarkvision being mince.

never listen to someone telling you it's wrong because it's 'not realistic' - if it was realistic you'd not see the milky way at all!! what does that even mean ??

I've only been doing this 6 months, but I don't think I've read a single comment from someone on here telling someone their image is 'not realistic'...

To me, one of the great things about this AP business, is though you are taking the a picture of the same things 1000s of people have taken before - how you shoot it, and more importantly, how you process it is all down to you and how you want it to look - no one else. That's where the creativity lies.

stu

p.s. great pic - I've still never managed to get a good MW shot!

• Like 1

The Clarkvision website, when I last visited it,  struck me as being full of nonsense. I would not advise using it. 

I'm not going to pick a favourite because I think you went in the right direction from the first one but went too far.  Most experienced imagers would jump on the green cast left of the Milky Way in the first one. It needs a slight correction but not as far as the second one takes it. Other than that I don't see the images (either of them) as over-processed.

Olly

• Like 1

Wow, thank you to all the new replies. To be honest, im very glad to hear most of you prefer the first one as i do as well.  The way i figured it, the sky would still reveal some blue tone, so to say that there should be none did strike me as a bit odd.

😄

5 hours ago, tomato said:

I prefer the first image and I have to say your composition with the terrain is great, I love the way the star clouds tower over it, almost like thunder clouds.👍

Thats very kind of you. I used to just take images with the sky until a member on this site told me (when Neowise was in the sky) to try to take widefield images with ground objects as they are much more visually pleasing. And he was right!

Thanks

7 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

The Clarkvision website, when I last visited it,  struck me as being full of nonsense. I would not advise using it. 

I'm not going to pick a favourite because I think you went in the right direction from the first one but went too far.  Most experienced imagers would jump on the green cast left of the Milky Way in the first one. It needs a slight correction but not as far as the second one takes it. Other than that I don't see the images (either of them) as over-processed.

Olly

Very interesting reply. As i said above, i did find that information i linked to to be a bit at odds with what i had learned so far, but then im very much a newbie to this. 

Of course, there is no reason at all why these images should be realistic anyway. 

Thanks for replying

8 hours ago, powerlord said:

agreed - about first one being best, and clarkvision being mince.

never listen to someone telling you it's wrong because it's 'not realistic' - if it was realistic you'd not see the milky way at all!! what does that even mean ??

I've only been doing this 6 months, but I don't think I've read a single comment from someone on here telling someone their image is 'not realistic'...

To me, one of the great things about this AP business, is though you are taking the a picture of the same things 1000s of people have taken before - how you shoot it, and more importantly, how you process it is all down to you and how you want it to look - no one else. That's where the creativity lies.

stu

p.s. great pic - I've still never managed to get a good MW shot!

Quoted for agreement. And thank you for your opinion and advice

I should have mentioned it earlier but do you know the Photoshop plug-in Hasta La Vista Green? It is very similar to Pixinsight's SCNR green and is excellent for precisely the kind of green cast we see in your first image. It's available  (voluntary contribution) from Rogelio Bernal Andreo's website Deep Sky Colors.

On a very sad note, we might spare a thought for Rogelio who lost his wife, recently, to a sudden cerebral accident. His website is a source of high quality information as well as remarkable images.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
Typo
  • Sad 2