NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Morpheus first use

Dantooine

I’d just like to say I’ve managed to actually get a first try of my Morpheus eyepieces and it’s been a while. I got the 14, 9 and 4.5mm.
This is very un scientific but I have to say they seem very good in use and very comfortable. I’ve used and owned many tv eyepieces and have to admit that the 76 degrees seems better than most 82 degree eyepieces that I’ve tried.

They seem quite similar to the Delos in my opinion and definitely don’t seem lacking to my eyes. 

that’s all folks 😁

• Like 12

I only have the 6.5mm but I agree that the main attributes of it are how really comfortable it is to use and how sharp and detailed the views are through it. 

After locating my target with the Baader zoom I usually then put in the Morpheus for a closer more detailed look. 

• Like 2

I have the 9mm and the 17.5mm and have to agree with all the posts above.

Sharp on axis and sharp almost to the edge of the field of view and comfortable on the eye.

They are now my general go to  eyepieces.

John

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fraunhoffer said:

Often thought about Morpheus.

Question: if they go on a 2" diagonal, does the sticking out 1 1/4 nose bit hit the diagonal mirror ?

I have a 2” Maxbright Baader diagonal and I have no problem with the nose hitting the mirror.

In fact I often use them in 2” mode with my 48mm Brandon as the focus positions are similar, within a few mm.

I did very carefully check the clearance of them in the diagonal on the kitchen table before I used them in the telescope.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JAC51 said:

I have a 2” Maxbright Baader diagonal and I have no problem with the nose hitting the mirror.

In fact I often use them in 2” mode with my 48mm Brandon as the focus positions are similar, within a few mm.

I did very carefully check the clearance of them in the diagonal on the kitchen table before I used them in the telescope.

Ah, thank you. That's helpful.

I recently received a 9mm and it performs very well in my TV-60 (which is an F6). It does show some marginal chromatic aberration with the brightest stars when viewed close to the edge, but this doesn't bother me much. On axis and most of the field, the eyepiece is quite sharp, certainly on par with the naglers and possibly a tad more. 

It performs well in my F4 dobson + PC2 on axis. It just delivers a slightly but noticeable less vibrant image than the docter (which is a legendary eyepiece though).

According to the data provided by Ernest on CN, a few Morpheus are in line or better than Pentax XW, but slightly behind than Delos. I don't own either of these two eyepiece types, but would be very interested in knowing how they compare in a fast telescope..

Last night I used the Morpheus on a few targets, including Jupiter and Saturn, with my dob. I honestly think that the vast majority of users would be very pleased with the views it delivers.

• Like 1

At f/6, the 9mm Morpheus is all but indistinguishable from the 10mm Delos as far as aberrations.  The Delos is maybe a hair contrastier and more pinpoint, but it is ever so slight and might just be me wanting to justify the higher price.  The 14mm Morpheus has detectable field curvature and chromatic aberration at the edge at f/6 with my fixed focus eyes.  Younger eyes probably won't see it.  My 14mm Pentax XL has much more field curvature, but refocuses to pinpoint perfection at the edge, unlike the Morpheus which has a bit of residual astigmatism at the edge.  20+ years ago, my 14mm Pentax looked flat field to my accommodating eyes.  When it came time to choose one to keep in the A-team case, those extra 13 degrees (I've measured the Morpheus at 78 degrees AFOV vs 65 for the XL) of field more than make up for this slight issue.

• Like 2

The 17.5mm is my favourite eyepiece ever, I think. That said I only own one TeleVue, a 41mm Panoptic which is obviously quite a specific use case. I keep thinking about perhaps picking up another Morpheus in a shorter focal length like the 9mm or 6.5mm but currently have a full EP case... 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Louis D said:

At f/6, the 9mm Morpheus is all but indistinguishable from the 10mm Delos as far as aberrations.  The Delos is maybe a hair contrastier and more pinpoint, but it is ever so slight and might just be me wanting to justify the higher price.  The 14mm Morpheus has detectable field curvature and chromatic aberration at the edge at f/6 with my fixed focus eyes.  Younger eyes probably won't see it.  My 14mm Pentax XL has much more field curvature, but refocuses to pinpoint perfection at the edge, unlike the Morpheus which has a bit of residual astigmatism at the edge.  20+ years ago, my 14mm Pentax looked flat field to my accommodating eyes.  When it came time to choose one to keep in the A-team case, those extra 13 degrees (I've measured the Morpheus at 78 degrees AFOV vs 65 for the XL) of field more than make up for this slight issue.

Hmm.

My 12.5" is coma corrected, so operating at f/5.75 (1826mm FL), and the Paracorr is known to have a slight field-flattening characteristic.  I'm 70, and my eyes are pretty much fixed focus at this point, and I see no field curvature at all in the 14 Morpheus.

That could simply mean the FC matches my scope, but if you do the calculations, my scope's field is essentially flat over a field stop diameter of the size of the 14mm, which means the 14mm must be pretty flat itself.

You aren't, of course, the only one to see FC in the 14mm, so I presume a lot has to do with the scope the eyepiece is used in.  It may very well be, like the 14mm Pentax XW, that the scope has to have a very flat field to yield a flat field in the eyepiece in use.

As has been written by others:

| (eyepiece)+ | (scope)= | (field you see)

| + ) = )

) + | = )

) + ) = |

• Like 5

I have BSTs at the moment and the 8mm and 15mm are my sweet spot for C8 and 305mm dob. I also have a 35mm SW Aero that I really like. 
Overall I Was trying to get my random and duplicated ep and barlow collection just down the best 3 that I really like.

I was thinking about the 14mm and 6.5mm Morph to make take up a bit of wider fov (60 deg vs 76 deg) with slightly more magnification,
-- but then folks say the 9 and 17.5 are v good.

🤔

• Like 3

On 17/07/2021 at 14:34, Don Pensack said:

Hmm.

My 12.5" is coma corrected, so operating at f/5.75 (1826mm FL), and the Paracorr is known to have a slight field-flattening characteristic.  I'm 70, and my eyes are pretty much fixed focus at this point, and I see no field curvature at all in the 14 Morpheus.

That could simply mean the FC matches my scope, but if you do the calculations, my scope's field is essentially flat over a field stop diameter of the size of the 14mm, which means the 14mm must be pretty flat itself.

You aren't, of course, the only one to see FC in the 14mm, so I presume a lot has to do with the scope the eyepiece is used in.  It may very well be, like the 14mm Pentax XW, that the scope has to have a very flat field to yield a flat field in the eyepiece in use.

As has been written by others:

| (eyepiece)+ | (scope)= | (field you see)

| + ) = )

) + | = )

) + ) = |

All I can do is comparative analysis on this, and both the 12mm and 17mm ES-92s require no refocusing center to edge in the same scopes, and at a wider AFOV.  Neither does the 9mm Morpheus require refocusing for best edge image.

• Like 2

On 17/07/2021 at 14:23, badhex said:

I keep thinking about perhaps picking up another Morpheus in a shorter focal length like the 9mm or 6.5mm but currently have a full EP case... 

Sounds like it's time to start another eyepiece case. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 22/07/2021 at 18:10, Louis D said:

All I can do is comparative analysis on this, and both the 12mm and 17mm ES-92s require no refocusing center to edge in the same scopes, and at a wider AFOV.  Neither does the 9mm Morpheus require refocusing for best edge image.

And, neither does the 14mm Morpheus in my scope.  Or any of the Morpheus eyepieces, for that matter.  I have so little accommodation left, I'd see it if it was there.

So, my comment about it being scope-specific.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...