Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pentax SP 10x50 focus issue.

Chaz2b

I’ve just recieved these binos brand new from USA, that’s in America! Checking out how good, if at all, the optics are, I have a small problem. I can focus my left eye fine with the central thumb wheel, but when it came to the right eye, I had to turn the diopter to the minus side till it stopped! and then I don’t find the focus crisp at all.

I’m not convinced of the quality, as I have had fifteen pairs of binos previously, and still have the Orion Resolux 7x50 which are excellent.

Any one else have a similar/ same issue?

I notice that they came in a Ricoh box, reading another thread, they took over Pentax, correct?

chaz

• Sad 1

Sounds like there could be a problem with the Dioptre adjustment for the right eye.  I have the same binoculars and have no issues reaching sharp focus with both eyes.

I know a friend of mine had a similar issue with a pair of Opticron Oregon 15x70s but was able to find a fix to reset the right eye adjustment starting point so that he could reach sharp focus with the right eye as well, if that makes sense.

If they are brand new then it would be worth invoking the warranty or talking to the retailer in the USA, the latter would be my choice in this case.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Ade

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

Sounds like there could be a problem with the Dioptre adjustment for the right eye.  I have the same binoculars and have no issues reaching sharp focus with both eyes.

I know a friend of mine had a similar issue with a pair of Opticron Oregon 15x70s but was able to find a fix to reset the right eye adjustment starting point so that he could reach sharp focus with the right eye as well, if that makes sense.

If they are brand new then it would be worth invoking the warranty or talking to the retailer in the USA, the latter would be my choice in this case.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Ade

I have a pair of Jessops 10 x 50 roof prism binoculars like that not worth having them sent away if you could find out how he reset the diotre I could have a go with these thanks. 

I’ve  now focused these binos by reversing the order of focusing, I focused the right eye first then the left, brought both into focus. Odd!

The amount of travel remaining on the right is about quarter of the total minus travel.

chaz

This does sound odd. I have the Pentax SP 50 WP's as well, and can vouch that they work using the usual left eye first approach and sharp focus is achieved with both eyes.

I'm glad you've found a work around at least, but it does sound like the dioptre is incorrectly set so worth having a word with the retailer to highlight the problem.  

Pentax Quality Control is usually excellent, and I'd normally suggest that you request a replacement set from your supplier.

However, if you sourced them via the USA I'm not sure how easy that will be?

You really want them to be 100% though, in case you ever want to sell them on.

They are very decent bins when working correctly 😊.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

are the eyepieces catching on the tubes they move inside of? on older worn bins this can cause the eps to cant over at an angle causing focus imbalance that frustratingly changes all the time. Would be odd on a new pair though

Mark