Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What’s your Astro tent?

Chaz2b

For those that like to travel and camp, what tent do you use for your Astro gear? I have a tallish utility tent ( think outside loo) which is only for somewhere for me to sit out of any droughts. I also use it in my communal garden to keep out unwanted white lights coming from my neighbours, although I do have red glasses as well.

But I would like to see what else others have been using and how successful was it. There are purpose made Astro tents but I find them a little expensive, so what tent have you for astronomy?

chaz

Only owning tiddlers, protecting the scopes is a non issue...

If at a public, non astro orientated camp site, then the Skymax 102 is packed up after each session and put either into the car boot, or one of the two tents I have for camping. If just me, an OEX Coyote III or if accompanied, a Hi-Gear Enigma Elite 5 & extra canopy.

Astro camps - a large Ducksback outboard boat motor cover envelopes a mount and telescope up to a 150/750mm reflector. I just have to remember to pull the bottom drawstring tight and tie it off securely.. If the weather looks a bit ropey, and I'm in the Hi-Gear, the whole set up can transferred to the tent's add on canopy and not interfere with tent life too much.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 1

I’ve now just purchased a Coleman Blackout tent! Should keep me cosy enough till night time arrives. Just need this pandemic to clear so I can join you happy bunch of stargazers at star parties and events.

chaz

• Like 1

The Coleman tents are sturdy, with decent head height, internal space and good ground sheets too, but I found the fibreglass poles absolute pigs to bend and slot into the rings. One weekend with fellow SGLers had us queueing up to have a go. I was sweating lol. Hence replacing it with the OEX with metal poles. Much easier to pitch. Similar to Vango.

The old Coleman in action. That was a cold & windy weekend in the Peaks.

1979263758_IMG_20200320_1824133942.thumb.jpg.6cad7bee27bb747f883896b441d1a1b2.jpg

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Thanks 1

Not a scope tent, but I use a round Weber charcoal grill cover.  If the weather is really dicey, I put my scope(s) and mount back in my car.  Two black polyester shower curtains on a PVC frame serve as a lightblock when needed.  Somebody wrote about partially cutting out the roof screen of an inexpensive camping tent and adding zippers.  

I've not heard of the Coleman Blackout tents - I'll have to check them out although I already have three general camping tents.

astro tent.jpg

I like the modified tent! That’s my kind of thinking, but the only problem is the limited travel. I don’t want to modify mine as it has a nice slanted entrance to place the scope and give a bit more sideways travel. The blackout is 99%, I’m hoping with minimal internal reflection off the internal sides, if you get my drift.

still waiting for it to arrive though….ho hum!

chaz

F80F2A4D-C35A-4159-81C3-6E6D48ACB1B9.jpeg

98C84DD3-FC60-4CC0-A320-1DF4E79B3DD0.jpeg

Edited by Chaz2b

I use a dedicated astro tent.  Brilliant keeps the wind out, but I did have to do some modifications to it to make it substantial enough.  

spacer.png

Just big enough to accommodate a table and chair if you slightly offset the mount.

spacer.png

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, carastro said:

I use a dedicated astro tent.  Brilliant keeps the wind out, but I did have to do some modifications to it to make it substantial enough. 

Looks like the Omegon (or a clone).  I've been considering that one as well - quite affordable.

20 minutes ago, jjohnson3803 said:

Looks like the Omegon (or a clone).  I've been considering that one as well - quite affordable.

I hope you know some-one who can sew, as the roof I extended as it would have let in water as it wasn't big enough and I also added clips to hold it down (also makes it easier to put on in the dark).

If you get the one I bought the pockets for the dome rods is the wall of the tent.  The rods are under a lot of pressure and the wall was perforated the first time I used it.  Had to re-enforce that too.

Carole  

Edited by carastro
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, carastro said:

spacer.png

Just big enough to accommodate a table and chair if you slightly offset the mount.

spacer.png

I can imagine you would get into quite a tangle with all those cables and little manoeuvring around them! Especially if you have the roof cover on and no one can see what’s causing your dilemma, would be a spectacle I’m sure.lol

I did look at Astro tents, but thought they were expensive and didn’t provide enough space. The tent I’ve chosen has plenty of space for tables and chairs, but the scope will be in the entrance with enough space to get in and out of the tent, I’ve just bought some black material to make up a wind break like the beach ones, as I have the poles for it, then that will give the scope some protection…..hopefully.

chaz

Edited by Chaz2b

17 hours ago, carastro said:

If you get the one I bought the pockets for the dome rods is the wall of the tent.  The rods are under a lot of pressure and the wall was perforated the first time I used it.  Had to re-enforce that too.

Another common complaint on camping forums is the fiberglass tent rods / poles break relatively easily.  Many people buy replacement aluminum poles.

The more I think about it, the more likely I am to buy a cheap camping tent and cut out a portion of the mesh roof.  The included rainfly would be protection against bad weather.

I also wonder if cutting out a section of the floor would be feasible - set the tripod in the hole then lift and rotate the tent like a dome if necessary.  Some of the tents I've looked at have certainly been light weight enough.  Might be awkward though.

• Like 1

Most of the tents I’ve come across have polypropylene floors, so using a soldering iron can cut a hole and seal up the edges as you go, using a dinner plate as a template or similar. Alternatively, a knife and blow torch….?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scarp15 said:

Light weight and simple, requiring a walk in, close to Scottish Border in Northumberland, another trip is on the cards.

P1090714.JPG

Great set up. Looks ace. Great for an overnighter (if you're fit 🙄)

My solo tent is a bit too big to be wild camping in. It's a light weight expedition tent meant to be carried by two. Loads of space inside for one though and easy to pitch. 

Polish_20210515_134610870.thumb.jpg.ce6436c4b6652d4de1220f83e07c158e.jpg

The Hi-Gear 5 man is getting a run out in September & October around new moons. Pandemic permitting, long weekends are booked in Cumbria and Shropshire Hills AONB. 👍

• Like 3

the more likely I am to buy a cheap camping tent and cut out a portion of the mesh roof.  

I considered doing that, but could not find a tent with a suitably shaped top to achieve it.  The idea was also to make a flap that I could fold back when imaging, that was bigger than the hole and would well cover the opening after closing up.   

Carole 

Edited by carastro

For archery we all use day tents that pop up from small Bags to a 10 foot square . They are just right to lift off scopes and stand 6 foot tall. Next time I'm at a starparty, that will be what I'm using. 

I haven't yet been to a star-party/camp but if/when I do I'd take this. For reference the shed is an 8x6ft. Takes 60 sec to put up the main dome and a couple of minutes to peg out and guy the rest. If the doorway were higher you could get a family car in there so it's nice and roomy.

20200804_165938.jpg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, scarp15 said:

Light weight and simple, requiring a walk in, close to Scottish Border in Northumberland, another trip is on the cards.

P1090714.JPG

Comparing your tent to mine, I feel slightly over dressed for the occasion! Like the scope.

• Like 1