NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My new LYBAR

Helen

I've spent this evening building my LYBAR - what do you reckon? Its a prototype really, so I'll be interested to see how it works..... If I build another I've got a few things to do differently (and I'll finish it off a bit better)! Total cost about £4

Helen

post-13020-133877355003_thumb.jpg

post-13020-133877355043_thumb.jpg

post-13020-133877355083_thumb.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done guys :thumbright: although I think Dave's version is better :(

I saw the design and like Billy thought KISS - so simple.

Materials: 1 length of timber 2.4m, 8 long screws, some foam, some non-slip Aldi boot liner

The design suggests 5 inch timber, and one decent length strip is all you need. I must admit I worked with a 3.5 wide bit of timber, but only because B&Q would cut it for me. A decking board is ideal, but B&Q won't cut treated timber :) I was just itching to see how it worked, and given the timber cost me £2.92 I thought it was worth a punt.

What have I learnt?

Wider would be better - that would turn it more into a seat than a prop, and there would be more to rest on the ground so make it more stable.

The highest height is a little too high for me - I can only just touch the floor, and for stability, feet on floor is important!

I used some spare foam and covered it with Aldi non-slip boot liner and it worked really, really well :thumbright:

Its always going to look a bit odd, because if you pad it you can't pad the surface that will rest on the floor.

I've got the 3 heights as 15 inches, 19 inches and 24 inches, which are based on using for the 8 inch Dob.

I'll post a first light.... (but looking at the forecast it could be a while :lol: )

Helen

Well, they say, the simplest ideas are the best!

I've been looking for a suitable observing chair/stool for the past several weeks. Looked at all kinds of office type folding chairs, bar stools, fishing stools, camping equipment, and "proper" commercially available observing chairs. My wife's even caught me looking (with evil intentions) at some of our dining chairs!

This "Lybar" seat looks the biz. Can be "made to measure," and is so simple to make, literally from scraps of wood. Could I suggest a cut up camping mat to make suitable comfy seating.

I'm definately going to make one (or two!) - which will sit nice on my paved back yard!

Many thanks to everyone for showing (modifying/updating) the concept.

regards,

philsail1

I thought the idea might be useful for others, and I'd not seen it mentioned here.

The camping mat is a good idea Phil. I chose foam because I had it available (not that I'm into upholstery, but from another astro project - eyepiece case :( ) and the added depth meant it would make the seat a bit wider :lol:

It was fun last night (and after a tough day at work just the distraction I needed)

I've seen a gorgeous hardwood decking plank that would make a superb one... :)

Helen

Hardwood decking plank sounds ideal Helen,

I think anyone making such a seat should ensure that all danger of splinters are "sanded" out.

Irrespective of the obvious happening when one sat down, it could be very annoying to get a tiny splinter in one of your fingers, irritating you all through a precious (and rare) "cloud free" viewing session!

Regards,

philsail1

• 2 months later...

This is an inspired peice of kit for us non woodworking experienced types. I have been thinking about how I could make an adjustable one that will cope with uneven ground, but now I'll do one of these next week so I have something to park my rear on while I ponder. Prob dont need and adjustable one anyway as ground mostly even where I observe.

Thanks very much

Brian

Really nice idea Helen I like the padding

I tend to use an adjustable Drum stool. You can change the height really quick and easy and you can pick these up sometimes on the net or car boot sales for less then £5.

Cheers

neil

• 1 year later...

Archived