Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ideas for portability - Dobsonian base

Something like this should do the job.

https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Universal-Equipment-Dolly-by-Gear4music/1MA1

I used an old 3 wheeled board I had for shifting my guitar amps when I was gigging.

My 200P sits on something similar in the house and it can be easily moved for cleaning around and under where it lives. When I take it outside I just wheel it to the patio doors, lift it off and put it on the water butt stand.

Andy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dark Vader said:

Something like this should do the job.

https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Universal-Equipment-Dolly-by-Gear4music/1MA1

I used an old 3 wheeled board I had for shifting my guitar amps when I was gigging.

My 200P sits on something similar in the house and it can be easily moved for cleaning around and under where it lives. When I take it outside I just wheel it to the patio doors, lift it off and put it on the water butt stand.

Andy

What water butt stand do you use? Do you find it increases vibration?

I can't remember where I got it from now, was a garden centre online... its 53cm diameter across the top, for a max 227L butt.

It can increase vibration, especially when I accidentally bump it with me size 15s but to be honest I've not found it a problem.

Almost 6ft wheelbarrow handles for me.

The telescope is left assembled in the living room and wheeled outside through ramps. Little effort and quick.

Kind of funny that I find easier to take a 16" out than a 4" tak + its tripod!

IMG_20210417_173033.thumb.jpg.2f9da38c6531e3536e9a8221e8b41597.jpg

IMG_20210422_195802.thumb.jpg.6cf4bea3c98ef0f57dea609f8cf3419f.jpg

IMG_20210422_195922.thumb.jpg.f109f8bf5f0bf5ae89e938ae6da88f91.jpg

Edited by Piero
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Piero said:

The telescope is left assembled in the living room

My wife would kill me if I left my 15" Dob assembled in the living room.  Perhaps if I get a second home in retirement I can find a spot for it there to leave assembled.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Piero said:

Almost 6ft wheelbarrow handles for me.

The telescope is left assembled in the living room and wheeled outside through ramps. Little effort and quick.

Kind of funny that I find easier to take a 16" out than a 4" tak + its tripod!

IMG_20210417_173033.thumb.jpg.2f9da38c6531e3536e9a8221e8b41597.jpg

Brilliant , suddenly the size of dob I could contemplate shifting outside alone increases enormously .... 🙂

Heather

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Louis D said:

My wife would kill me if I left my 15" Dob assembled in the living room.  Perhaps if I get a second home in retirement I can find a spot for it there to leave assembled.

Like this? 😁

1619876451991978885791721403099.thumb.jpg.d89dbd1e8efe476c80d29c2d10bc0a0e.jpg

Honestly, my girlfriend is actually happy about having it in the living room as it looks nice.

She only asked me not to store both this 16" F4 and the other 12" F6 next to each other! 

• Like 6

I have the same  scope.  I use  a Rubbermaid dolley with fold down handle which helps  it  stay out of the way when observing. Just  wheel it down 2 ramps I  built down 2 small steps and outside and I'm good.  I keep the base  on the cart  all the time  when stored inside. It works  great.

Z181q_fo5oy.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Piero said:

Like this? 😁

Honestly, my girlfriend is actually happy about having it in the living room as it looks nice.

She only asked me not to store both this 16" F4 and the other 12" F6 next to each other! 

Looks less like a living room and more like a mud room/entry foyer.  Our living room has oodles of stuffed furniture, television, gas logs in the fireplace, etc.  It doubles as a home theater.  Different floor plan entirely.

7 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Looks less like a living room and more like a mud room/entry foyer.  Our living room has oodles of stuffed furniture, television, gas logs in the fireplace, etc.  It doubles as a home theater.  Different floor plan entirely.

Possibly yes. We are not snobbish, but just simple people attracted to simple things, like reading a nice book, rather than having a cinema at home and being fed by Hollywood products.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Louis D said:

Good for you. You must be very proud of your stuffed furniture.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Piero said:

Like this? 😁

Is that a Berlebach clothes dryer? Must get one of those!

2 hours ago, Pixies said:

Is that a Berlebach clothes dryer? Must get one of those!

That's correct. UNI19, with AOK AYO 2 head. It dries clothes incredibly well. Time to time it is also used for holding my 4" Tak.