NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New TS-Optics CMOS Cameras?

Peter_D

They are hexagonally shaped so they don't roll away when put down....

I like that little detail.   

Alas, I doubt they bounce favourably when dropped.

EDIT:....     I just seen that they have a built in tilt adjuster.   Again, nice thinking.

Edited by Craney
  • Like 2

I haven't seen them before.

One model in particular is interesting - IMX464 based model. I haven't seen any other vendor use that sensor, which I find interesting.

I expected TS cameras to be rebrand of one of known CMOS camera manufacturers (QHY, ZWO or Altair - although I suspect that Altair Astro also order their cameras from China and have them branded).

• Like 3

On 24/04/2021 at 17:04, vlaiv said:

I expected TS cameras to be rebrand of one of known CMOS camera manufacturers (QHY, ZWO or Altair - although I suspect that Altair Astro also order their cameras from China and have them branded).

Altair's cameras are rebranded Touptek models, similar to Omegon, Risingcam and Orion (at least the Starshoot G models, I believe).  I think (some) Opticstar and Levenhuk cameras may be as well.

James

• Like 2

On 27/04/2021 at 00:48, nfotis said:

I think that's the OEM:

https://player-one-astronomy.com/

I remember that some CN members are testing these?

That IMX464 looks like the big brother of the IMX462, with double the resolution?

N.F.

A quick check at Sony seems to show that the line up is: IMX462, IMX464 and IMX485 (looking at 2.9um pixel sizes)

https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/e/products/IS/security/product.html

I would like to see an IMX485-equipped planetary camera 😉

EDIT: Just checked, and QHY offers such a camera. I wonder if it's more usable than the 462, though (the diagrams of the sensors look quite different)

N.F.

Edited by nfotis

As another CN member mentioned, the IMX485 is a different family, hence the quite different spectral response compared to the IMX462:

IMX462 is a stacked silicon (Exmor RS) design, to which it owes its NIR sensitivity. It is the stacked silicon version of the IMX290.

The IMX485 is not a stacked silicon design (it's part of the Exmor R line, not RS line). It can be thought of as a double-sized IMX290.

So, that seems to leave planetary imagers with the IMX462 and IMX464 for advanced capture into near infrared.

N.F.

Edited by nfotis

• 2 weeks later...

I am after a 178m was going to get QHY. But after my 462c developed a hot pixel.

When these cameras state this. I wonder how good this is. They also claim to be the first to use DDR3 Cache with a claimed reduction in readout noise. Havent compared to others ?

The planetary cameras from Player One Astronomy have DPS (Dead Pixel Suppression) technology, dead pixels (including both hot pixels and cold pixels) of the image are swept away. DPS function is turned on during your whole imaging session, no need to worry about it !

http://player-one-astronomy.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/DPS-technology-1024x526.jpg

Edited by neil phillips

My personal feeling is that if the camera has dead or hot pixels, I'd rather the firmware didn't mess about with the data in ways that I don't necessarily understand, control or am able to reverse.  I'll take the raw data please, and if I decide it needs messing about with then I'll be the one to do it the way I want it done.

Not everyone may share this opinion :)

James

• Like 2

On 24/04/2021 at 17:04, vlaiv said:

I haven't seen them before.

One model in particular is interesting - IMX464 based model. I haven't seen any other vendor use that sensor, which I find interesting.

Yes, I think ZWO and QHY produce there own cameras, but Altair are rebranded Touptek / Rising Cam cameras..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JamesF said:

My personal feeling is that if the camera has dead or hot pixels, I'd rather the firmware didn't mess about with the data in ways that I don't necessarily understand, control or am able to reverse.  I'll take the raw data please, and if I decide it needs messing about with then I'll be the one to do it the way I want it done.

Not everyone may share this opinion :)

James

Hi James i get your point. I suppose it really depends how effective the firmware is. And as you say if there could be any other untoward effects on the image because of it. If the answer is no. Then there is clearly time saving benefit here. But at this stage i agree its a unknown.  What would have been nice is the ability to switch the so called DPS off.

I notice the QHY 178m is also 10fps slower over two minuets thats a loss of 1200 frames

Edited by neil phillips

14 hours ago, neil phillips said:

I am after a 178m was going to get QHY. But after my 462c developed a hot pixel.

When these cameras state this. I wonder how good this is. They also claim to be the first to use DDR3 Cache with a claimed reduction in readout noise. Havent compared to others ?

The planetary cameras from Player One Astronomy have DPS (Dead Pixel Suppression) technology, dead pixels (including both hot pixels and cold pixels) of the image are swept away. DPS function is turned on during your whole imaging session, no need to worry about it !

http://player-one-astronomy.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/DPS-technology-1024x526.jpg

If I didn't have already the ASI462MC, I would be sorely tempted by their IMX464 camera. Now, about hot pixels, you maybe could operate the 462 for shorter intervals?

N.F.

1 hour ago, nfotis said:

If I didn't have already the ASI462MC, I would be sorely tempted by their IMX464 camera. Now, about hot pixels, you maybe could operate the 462 for shorter intervals?

N.F.

Me too the 464 looks good.

I may pull the trigger on 178 mono player one cam. in the future. I am considering it.  I want a big chip. Saw some lunar shots on facebook. it looks clean smooth and detailed. I actually just purchased thier  IR685 Filter £30 including postage. What a price

More competition is good for us consumers.

The current (mostly) duopoly between ZWO and QHY isn't bringing the prices down. It's quite hard to polish device drivers etc, though (and documentation... even the incumbents have a long way to go in this area).

N.F.

On 28/04/2021 at 17:57, nfotis said:

As another CN member mentioned, the IMX485 is a different family, hence the quite different spectral response compared to the IMX462:

So, that seems to leave planetary imagers with the IMX462 and IMX464 for advanced capture into near infrared.

N.F.

QHY make the QHY-5-III 485c, sold by modern astronomy. 

Adam