Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Streetlight pollution - a great result.

Dark Vader

Following on from a few posts regarding light intrusion from street lighting, I thought I'd try my luck with my local council and reported a problem on April 12th with the shading of 3 lights surrounding my garden.

While I was out yesterday, a council lighting chap turned up, and after a brief chat with Mrs. V, set about replacing the light that was causing the biggest problem with a shielded one. The difference is pretty dramatic. When they've done the other light, I will be thanking them profusely.

Before and after pics below.

20210407_233747.jpg

20210407_233719.jpg

20210415_220658.jpg

20210415_231543.jpg

• Like 14

29 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

That's a brilliant change.

Is that a different lamp head or the same lamp head but with vanes added inside the head please?

It's one of these... a different head with a shield at the end.

20210416_094417.jpg

• Like 1

I used to have this type sodium lamp at the end of the garden, now got this type of LED which is a lot less intrusive, and has made a big difference.

I think they just changed it because the other one broke. It looks like the LED will be the standard replacement in my area.

Just hope the council go back to the 12 o’clock switch off at some point.

B84FD76A-CE37-4529-B8F8-30765D9732D9.jpeg

B95D54B9-19FB-4E9D-B3A7-70ADCFE85106.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dark Vader said:

Following on from a few posts regarding light intrusion from street lighting, I thought I'd try my luck with my local council and reported a problem on April 12th with the shading of 3 lights surrounding my garden.

While I was out yesterday, a council lighting chap turned up, and after a brief chat with Mrs. V, set about replacing the light that was causing the biggest problem with a shielded one. The difference is pretty dramatic. When they've done the other light, I will be thanking them profusely.

Before and after pics below.

20210407_233747.jpg

20210407_233719.jpg

20210415_220658.jpg

20210415_231543.jpg

That looks a great improvement, Our Council is currenlty replacing all Sodium with LED. I am quite looking forward to this change and hoping it has a decent improvement in LP. If every light replaced  reduces the LP like your I will be very pleased.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Our Council is currenlty replacing all Sodium with LED. I am quite looking forward to this change and hoping it has a decent improvement in LP.

I think that’s happening here, do you think the community charge will stop increasing?? 🤔😂

1 hour ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

That looks a great improvement, Our Council is currenlty replacing all Sodium with LED. I am quite looking forward to this change and hoping it has a decent improvement in LP. If every light replaced  reduces the LP like your I will be very pleased.

Disregarding domestic stupidity lighting, internal housing lights, businesses, car parks, sports facilities etc, then street LEDs overall, if fitted correctly and a shining down, should result in a reduction of light pollution.

Unfortunately if you're anywhere near an LED and it's not shielded, they're like someone shining a torch in your face!

This one, approx twenty metres from my garden drove me crackers after I had my two trees felled. I had no idea how much the trees blocked it until they were gone.

695973729_IMG_20210416_123449042_MP2.thumb.jpg.8bae4f8c8fbdbed7ee16aa4898e94113.jpg

The shield fitted last week as seen above, resulted in a similar effect to Mr. Vader's.

Be prepared to do battle with your councils once the LEDs go in...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Disregarding domestic stupidity lighting, internal housing lights, businesses, car parks, sports facilities etc, then street LEDs overall, if fitted correctly and a shining down, should result in a reduction of light pollution.

I have friends who live in the middle of Leicester, and say their sky view has been far darker since the city council went over to LED lights.

"Domestic Stupidity Lighting" is an excellent descriptive phrase, which I shall tuck away for future use, thank you !

It covers not only insecurity lighting, but also the hideous, multicoloured, land that taste forgot trend to turn a garden into a solar powered mini Las Vegas/Blackpool , to shine all blasted night even when the curtains are shut and the householders are watching reality TV or sleeping.

Heather

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Unfortunately if you're anywhere near an LED and it's not shielded, they're like someone shining a torch in your face!

So true. 😧 Since they installed the LED lights in Canterbury, you can't see the stars from the city centre unless you find a corner far from the street lamps. It used to be quite good, but now it's like walking inside an airport hall. I normally set my telescope on a hill near a little village South of here, and they have replaced the street lamps with LEDs there as well. Now I need to make sure that they are blocked by some trees, but there is one that still annoys me even though google maps says it's 380 metres away from my usual spot!

They only hope is that as the individual bulbs have started to fail, the older lamps have been getting dimmer and no one has replaced them yet... 🤞

• Sad 1

I had a break in the hobby in recent years and, between then and resuming again recently, they have now fitted LED lights.

It may be my imagination but it really seems that there is much less scattered light and sky glow and I seem to be able to see much more clearly the faint fuzzies.

Thankfully for me the LED lights are at the front of my house, so they do not shine into my garden.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

This one, approx twenty metres from my garden drove me crackers after I had my two trees felled. I had no idea how much the trees blocked it until they were gone.

695973729_IMG_20210416_123449042_MP2.thumb.jpg.8bae4f8c8fbdbed7ee16aa4898e94113.jpg

The shield fitted last week as seen above, resulted in a similar effect to Mr. Vader's.

Be prepared to do battle with your councils once the LEDs go in...

Thanks SSC. I think as soon as the LEDs are installed I will put in a request to have them shielded. The more LP I we can block the better!

• Like 2