NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M106 and NGC 4217

AbsolutelyN

Making the most of this clear spell .... this time M106. I was particularly drawn to the varying scales of all the galaxies, from big to barely visible. 

5.5 hours with 250-PDS and 1600MM. Gradient issues solved, assume it was light leaking in the back of primary, possibly when taking flats during the day. 

Full res on astrobin - https://www.astrobin.com/8p4x95/

M106-S.thumb.jpg.9efaf570609b5ace0aa2363b42311ec3.jpg

• Like 19

1 minute ago, Adreneline said:

Great colours, framing and detail. A winner!

Adrian

Thanks Adrian. Typically somehow managed to get a big diffraction spike from an out of frame star running right through M106. Had to carefully clone it out. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stargazer33 said:

You certainly have been making the most of your opportunities! Another very nice image. Colour and detail are impressive and you would never guess that you had to "tidy-up" M106.

Thanks, new moon and clear skies seem rare these days so I'm willing to lose a bit of sleep. The diffraction spike wasn't too bad.

image.png.015ff1296e96a6f1400f75cb6e3e7858.png 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Really nice image Tristan, you have a really strong processing skills.  The background is smooth but yet doesnt look overdone or forced.  Would you mind sharing an outline of what you do?

Thanks Adam. I tend to process things differently every time as each image throws up a new challenge, so always experimenting with different ideas and passing it between pixinsight and photoshop trying to make it work. 

Edited by AbsolutelyN

4 hours ago, tomato said:

That's a cracking image, one of the best I have seen on SGL of this FOV, and only 5.5 hrs integration, you have made the most of every minute. 👍

Thanks much appreciated. Bit of a miracle really as looking at the files I've somehow managed to get 60mins of green, 30 mins of red and only 20 mins of blue!

• Like 1