The Leo Triplet

Gerr

Evening All,

Tonight's challenge is this trio of galaxies in the Leo constellation. Wind is a bit of a problem as I'm using a SW200P reflector on a HEQ5 mount and unlike the forecast it is gusting to Force 5 (strong breeze on Beaufort scale). However the wind is dropping and I've got my PHD guiding to less than 0.8rms and I'm hopeful this is enough for a sharpish image!! The moon is a waning gibbous but it hasn't risen yet - things are looking promising. I've set APT to collect 50 images at ISO1600 - 5 minute duration with dither skipped on every other. I'm hoping my DSLR (Canon 650D) can bring in the goods (Optolong Pro Filter attached). 

This is a teaser but I'm confident after reviewing the first few images that something good is happening.

I will reveal all in 24 hours (or thereabouts).

Anybody else in for a real time challenge like this???

Good Luck,

Gerr.

Results will be published soon!!!! :)

• Like 7

Good luck, I've just come in from imaging the Leo Triplet (amongst other targets) on my evostar 72ed, az gti and Canon 600D, though only 35 x 25 sec @3200iso is all I can manage though as I'm still green at this slippery slope 😉, clear skies 

Edited by LeeHore7

Hi All,

I believe anything that involves 3 hrs capture time is enough for a quite decent image!

Our British skies don't usually allow for more than that!!!

One reason why I haven't 'upgraded' yet!!

I am still trying to maximise my results with what I have and where I image from!

Love the challenge though :)

Gerr.!!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gerr said:

I believe anything that involves 3 hrs capture time is enough for a quite decent image!

I'm nowhere near that yet lol, as I try to image a few at first then hone in on one or two to image, when I'm more experienced I'll try stay on one target and image, probably when my star adventurer arrives 

Hi All,

Well last night I did indeed manage to get 51 useable subs of the Leo Triplet (4hrs 25mins total) each of 300second duration.

The guiding stayed steady at about 0.5RMS with the wind having abated to a gentle breeze.

Forgot to use my coma corrector though - but I don't think it effected the images too much!!

This is what I got:

The Leo Triplet (M66, M65 & NGC3628)

CC's Welcome756119451_LeoTriplet.thumb.jpg.b1125d472641a729f55246b5d090b7ce.jpg

• Like 10

Nice image Gerr!  It's a fascinating set of galaxies to image.

11 hours ago, Gerr said:

Anybody else in for a real time challenge like this???

Great topic!  I did a few single subs last night, got this one of the triplets.  Need to rotate the camera 90 degrees, but had it focused etc so just left it for the night.  This is 1 x 300s with the ZWO2600MC using 250PX scope.

Light_Preview_ASILive_300sec_Bin1_-10.1C_gain100_2021-04-02_220239-SC-St.jpg

• Like 7

Wow, that is amazing for just one image! I may upgrade yet!!! 😂

I’m going to have another go at the triplet tonight - this time with Coma Corrector! I also noticed I had the Optolong L-eNhance attached and not the L-Pro. If tonight’s imaging goes well I will try and combine both filters for a hybrid type picture.

Thanks for the positive comments everyone.👍😀

Gerr.

• Like 1

Nice images everyone. I got all set up last night for the Leo triplet. Spent a good while first finding then framing (using a manual star adventurer tracker). Was very happy with everything, guiding was going well. Got four 150s subs and then the clouds rolled in!!! Left everything set up for another hour and the clouds did part, for about a minute! Gave up after that. Tonight might be ok though, so going to give it another go.

A fantastic image of yours there @Gerr, you must be proud of it. Here's my attempt with my sw 72ed, az gti, Canon 600D. Iso 3200 35 x 25sec, stacked in dss and tweaked in ps. I'm pretty happy with this, only my second attempt at the triplet. Framing a little off though. 

Leo-triplet-2-4-21.jpg

• Like 2

Took 3 hours Luminance with the 268 last night to start building a HaLRGB image. last year I managed 29 hours with the ASI 1600, I'm hoping for better with the QHY.

2 hours ago, Gerr said:

Thanks Lee and you’re going in the right direction too. Great attempt with your current set-up. All a big learning curve with this hobby!! 

Thanks Gerr, yes a bit learning curve this but well happy with my set up now, I've a star adventurer pro 2i due to arrive from FLO wgern stock arrives, sdo will be able to get longer subs then and more detail