Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Really nice set of proms today

jonathan

Had a bit of warming sunshine today (hurrah!) so out came the solar scope.  Saw a large prom that appeared to be tearing as it leaped out (or back?) and curved back to the limb, it also appeared to have several 'fingers' at one end touching the limb, probably the largest prom I've seen in a long time.  There were a few smaller but chunky prominences and a few filaments too, things look to be hotting up (excuse the pun) on our sun this season!

• Like 5

Same here.  Brilliant cloudless sunny day.  Having already seen the promising solar image on GONG I fired up my main solar telescope for the first time in ages and had a look.  Seeing somewhat unsteady but a good assortment of proms, plages and filaments.      😀

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

I too saw that and did some imaging but not processed them yet. There was a lovely large prom near the new AR. 

Would really like to see what you managed to capture of it.  The images from NASA always look vastly different to what I see through my solar scope.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes great views today, one huge prom and one nice group if proms. Some well defined surface activity as well.

I tried single front stack, double front stack and triple stack (one internal, two external filters), mono and bino viewing.

Today my favourite for fantastic full surface views was double front stack with binoviewers, consistent detail across the full surface.

0E91F285-558C-4EF8-A9F3-542DC185EEE1.jpeg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, GavStar said:

Yes great views today, one huge prom and one nice group if proms. Some well defined surface activity as well.

I tried single front stack, double front stack and triple stack (one internal, two external filters), mono and bino viewing.

Today my favourite for fantastic full surface views was double front stack with binoviewers, consistent detail across the full surface.

Nice setup! The mount grabbed my eye, I don't think I've seen one of those before (SkyWatcher Solar Quest). I like that you can run it off batteries.

19 hours ago, GavStar said:

I have that exact same seat!  Also, can't even begin to think how much all that double and triple stacking setup must have cost (if new)...  I probably should aim to get hold of a mount like that too though, much easier than my CG-4.