NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best DSO targets for me

If the weather clears up then I plan to try out my new (and first) scope for the first time! Struggling to joke the childish excitement. 

I have a 5 inch goto reflector and unfortunately I live in quite a light polluted bortle 7 area, what dso targets would you recommend to start off with? I'm already planning to have a look at the Orion nebula the Pleiades and the beehive cluster. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated :)

Edited by Spier24

If you plan to observe the Beehive, then another open cluster, M67 is close too.

Near to Pleiades is the cluster Hyades the head of Taurus.

While you're thee clusters M36, M37 and M38.

All in the above are south east-south west mid evening.

In the northern sky try galaxies M81 and M82. They will fit into the 25mm eyepiece field of view. Small smudges but galaxies nonetheless.

That lot should keep you busy on a first time out. Don't give the targets a quick glance. Spend some time looking and they should pop.

Install a mobile app like Sky Safari or Stellarium.

• Like 5

I spent some time looking at these ares last night when it was super clear here, it clouded over at 20.30.

It was also super windy but I was tucked around a corner of my house.

m42 and m44 were great  another couple of hours enjoyable viewing

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

If you plan to observe the Beehive, then another open cluster, M67 is close too.

Near to Pleiades is the cluster Hyades the head of Taurus.

While you're thee clusters M36, M37 and M38.

All in the above are south east-south west mid evening.

In the northern sky try galaxies M81 and M82. They will fit into the 25mm eyepiece field of view. Small smudges but galaxies nonetheless.

That lot should keep you busy on a first time out. Don't give the targets a quick glance. Spend some time looking and they should pop.

Install a mobile app like Sky Safari or Stellarium.

That's given me some food for thought for tonight. Thanks :) I'll be observing towards the south at first.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Spier24 said:

If I didn't have a GoTo scope then I'd buy a copy, seems to get good feedback.

Does your GOTO tell you which targets your scope is likely to show well and those where you might recognize something in the eyepiece ?

One of the great things about the book is that the targets are carefully chosen to be those which small instruments and new observers can both find easily and that will be interesting to observer.

GOTO's, when set up properly, are great at pointing the scope at object X or Y but many objects may simply be either incredibly vague or invisible when you actually look though the eyepiece at them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John said:

Does your GOTO tell you which targets your scope is likely to show well and those where you might recognize something in the eyepiece ?

One of the great things about the book is that the targets are carefully chosen to be those which small instruments and new observers can both find easily and that will be interesting to observer.

GOTO's, when set up properly, are great at pointing the scope at object X or Y but many objects may simply be either incredibly vague or invisible when you actually look though the eyepiece at them.

Unfortunately it doesn't but I imagine that'll be a future feature of GoTo scopes. That's why I've already done a bit of research about which objects are easy enough to see with the scope I have and what part of the sky they're in since my back garden is south facing. 

I know that some of the fainter DSO's won't be viewable due to my Bortle 7 skies and my telescope size, although from what I've read there's still plenty to look at along with the option of going to dark sky sites :)

You might find it useful to download the SynScan App - although it's meant to be used to control Skywatcher telescopes via Wifi - it comes with a "tonight's best" function (under the "Utility" icon), and that gives a quick and easy list of objects, with rough position and magnitude.

It lists DSOs,  Planets and Double Stars separately - and as it knows your location it gives results that are specific to your observing. 

Can I also be another voice to suggest you seriously consider getting Turn Left at Orion - there's a Google Books preview under the link  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Gfamily said:

You might find it useful to download the SynScan App - although it's meant to be used to control Skywatcher telescopes via Wifi - it comes with a "tonight's best" function (under the "Utility" icon), and that gives a quick and easy list of objects, with rough position and magnitude.

It lists DSOs,  Planets and Double Stars separately - and as it knows your location it gives results that are specific to your observing. 

Can I also be another voice to suggest you seriously consider getting Turn Left at Orion - there's a Google Books preview under the link  

I did try the synscan app but it doesn't work on my phone, there seems to be quite s few bad reviews about it with other people having similar issues. Lucky that I paid extra for a setup that came with a handset! 

The handset also has a tonight's best function that'll show you some of the deep sky objects that are visible in your area at the time.

My birthday is coming up soon so turn left at Orion will go on my list along with a good Barlow lense.

Edited by Spier24

3 minutes ago, Spier24 said:

I did try the synscan app but it doesn't work on my phone, there seems to be quite s few bad reviews about it with other people having similar issues. Lucky that I paid extra for a setup that came with a handset! 

The handset also has a tonight's best function that'll show you some of the deep sky objects that are visible in your area at the time.

Install the skysafari app. It's the best IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spier24 said:

If your phone is using Android 11 there's a problem with the version available from Google Play (1.17.0) , but a compatible version is available from the Skywatcher website 

http://www.skywatcher.com/download/software/synscan-app/

However, as you say, Sky Safari has a 'tonight's best' option in the Search bar. 

Edited by Gfamily
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gfamily said:

If your phone is using Android 11 there's a problem with the version available from Google Play (1.17.0) , but a compatible version is available from the Skywatcher website 

http://www.skywatcher.com/download/software/synscan-app/

However, as you say, Sky Safari has a 'tonight's best' option in the Search bar. 

I am in android 11 so that'll be the issue. Sky safari is good to couple with the handset, you can check to see if what the handset is suggesting on the tour mode is visible in the area of the sky you're observing.

Soooo weather conditions mucked up my viewing schedule and I've had to delay for a few hours :( anything any of you would recommend near Leo, Hydra and Ursa Major? Thankfully the beehive cluster will still be in view.

Lots and lots of galaxies in Leo - but faint and with Bortle 7 might be very tricky to see without practise.

Better bets near Ursa Major. M81 and M82 are a must see. M51 might be visible too.

M94 in Canes Venatici has a bright core, too. Well, relatively bright for a galaxy.

Is Auriga placed OK for you? Quite a few open clusters reside here. M36, M37 (a favourite of mine) and M38 are there.

2 minutes ago, Spier24 said:

I am in android 11 so that'll be the issue. Sky safari is good to couple with the handset, you can check to see if what the handset is suggesting on the tour mode is visible in the area of the sky you're observing.

If you do manage to get the app working , you can use Sky Safari Plus (or Stellarium Plus) alongside it to directly control the scope. 

8 minutes ago, Pixies said:

Lots and lots of galaxies in Leo - but faint and with Bortle 7 might be very tricky to see without practise.

Better bets near Ursa Major. M81 and M82 are a must see. M51 might be visible too.

M94 in Canes Venatici has a bright core, too. Well, relatively bright for a galaxy.

Is Auriga placed OK for you? Quite a few open clusters reside here. M36, M37 (a favourite of mine) and M38 are there.

Thanks for that :) given me some new stuff to check out. I think Auriga might have moved out of view but I'll double check.