NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AP help

Kenboy

Hi all! 

Looks like finally some clear moonless skies near me tonight

I've got a beginner setup and just wanted to ask few quick questions 

Setup: Astro modified Canon 550d, Svbony CLS clip filter, Canon 50mm F1.8STM lens in Bortle 5 skies. 

What ISO and exposure length would you recommend to image at? how many shots to stack?

Any ideas how I can prevent mist on my lens? (it's going to be -8 degrees, and I don't have any warmer)

thx so much 

I would go with ISO800. You'll have to set the exposure time depending on your histogram but if we are talking non tracking then you will be limited to maybe 15 secs. Stack as many as you can. Hairdryer on lens maybe.

Edited by PeterCPC

Trial and error is the name of the game, at least it always is for me. I would take my first stab around 6-8 seconds and iso 1600 to avoid trails. I have a different camera, different skies and different lenses (f4 so you're a lot quicker at 1.8)  but I'd stab around there first and increase the shutter speed (so you know the limit) until you see trails then I'd work on ISO. I'd use it at 1.8 too first

Edited by scotty38

2 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

I would go with ISO800. You'll have to set the exposure time depending on your histogram but if we are talking non tracking then you will be limited to maybe 15 secs. Stack as many as you can. Hairdryer on lens maybe.

Sorry I didn't mention. I am using a SA star tracker. So ISO 800, with 1 minute exposures x 30 sounds ok? 

12 minutes ago, Kenboy said:

Sorry I didn't mention. I am using a SA star tracker. So ISO 800, with 1 minute exposures x 30 sounds ok? 

Perhaps ignore me then, bets are off on that front..... However I would still experiment but from a different starting point so yep start as you suggest and fine the point where the tracker starts to trail. You then know that limit and can adjust other things to suit....

I am assuming at least a reasonable polar alignment too.

Edited by scotty38

Try f1.8 and f2, f2.8 etc and see what you prefer, star will be bloated and or towards the edges the stars won't be round if the aperture is too open for the lens being used. 

You will need a remote trigger release for your camera, at the minimum use the onboard timer delay if you have no other way to trigger the shutter

Edited by happy-kat

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

Try f1.8 and f2, f2.8 etc and see what you prefer, star will be bloated and or towards the edges the stars won't be round if the aperture is too open for the lens being used. 

You will need a remote trigger release for your camera, at the minimum use the onboard timer delay if you have no other way to trigger the shutter

yup I've got a intervalometer. 

ok I'm going to use ISO 800, f/2.8, 1 min exposure x 30. 

1 minute ago, Skipper Billy said:

You dont say where you are but up here the air is unbelievably dry at the moment - you might get away without dew control. Here last night it was -7 and the dew point was -12.  

Same sort of thing here, though not quite that chilly.  The air is so cold that it's holding very little moisture even before the temperature drops overnight.  We've had no frosts this week despite the temperature being below freezing most of the time.

James