NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Different ways to align finder to main scope

Hi you might of heard this before but how can I go about aligning my finder scope to the main scope without having to point it at a,stationary object a mile away, the reason I ask is because I have rather high fencing around my garden and have nothing to align to apart from a few house roof 50 ft away. With mt old scope I aligned with the moon but when it came to looking at distant stars it was way off. Any good tips please.

The scope is to heavy for carting around to the nearest field,plus being in lockdown I dont think the constabulary will like seeing me in a field.

Many thanks guys n ladies

Steve

11 minutes ago, stevie1980 said:

The scope is to heavy for carting around to the nearest field,plus being in lockdown I dont think the constabulary will like seeing me in a field.

Here is a suggestion that might work. Remove just the OTA and take it upstairs, place on a firm surface and point through your window at some small object thats far away. TV antennae work best

Edited by AstroMuni
  • Like 1

Just now, AstroMuni said:

Here is a suggestion that might work. Remove just the OTA and take it upstairs, place on a firm surface and point through your window at some small object thats far away.

What an absolute belting idea. Would never have thought of that lol.silly me..cheers ,much appreciated 👍 

39 minutes ago, banjaxed said:

Out of interest do you open the window or not ?

If you are getting double images due to glass then you would need to open window, otherwise not necessary. We are not attempting a micro alignment here :)

• Like 1

And before I forget, use as high a magnification as you can on the scope to align from indoors - start with low mag and go to highest. With the higher magnification your FOV will reduce so becomes harder to find the object

Edited by AstroMuni

On 01/02/2021 at 12:02, AstroMuni said:

And before I forget, use as high a magnification as you can on the scope to align from indoors - start with low mag and go to highest. With the higher magnification your FOV will reduce so becomes harder to find the object

I did just that.started with a 40mm and ended it on a 10mm thankyiu for replies

If you can store the scope with the finder attached, you only need align once.
An early job for me (pre shed days) was to modify a cupboard for scope storage.
Nothing grand, just a few extra bits of wood and bungy cords added into a tatty cupboard.

HTH, David.