Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Barnard's Loop, M78 and Bogeyman Nebulae

carastro

Taken over 3 nights from Bortle 8 (bit of a struggle as I have to wait for it to appear over the houses, have a very short window of opportunity followed by about 3 hours behind a tree, then shortly after it emerges there is a Meridian flip and then I am lucky to get 1 1/2 hours before it disappears behind the next lot of trees), not to mention how cloudy it has been over the last 2 months.

So only managed just under 3 hours in 3 nights.

Atik460EX and Baader filters EFW
Samyang 135mm Bortle 8
Ha 11 x 600
RGB total of 25 x 150secs between all filters.

Total imaging time approx 2h 50mins

N.B. Some data added from 2017 of M78 (as hopeless from Bortle 8 

spacer.png

• Like 36

That is really nice Carole.  Some great depth to the Ha and nicely framed.  I imaged M78 some years ago and spent ages trying to remove a troublesome red gradient before I realised it was genuine Ha from Barnard's Loop!

• Haha 1

It appears the new version of SGL does not allow for editing. so here is a revised image (as I noticed some stacking artifacts at the bottom, and also so Ha star misalignment of the differing Flips due to sloppy processing.  

spacer.png

Edited by carastro
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, jetstream said:

Bogeyman neb, LDN 1622. I'm going to give it a try visually now.

I would imagine it will be very faint and difficult to see visually, if the Horsehead is difficult this must be far more difficult.

Carole 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carastro said:

I would imagine it will be very faint and difficult to see visually, if the Horsehead is difficult this must be far more difficult.

Carole 

It could very well be, but it is surprising what dark nebs can be seen- these objects are kind of a hobby within a hobby for me. In my 2 larger dobs I can see the Horsehead with no filter easily on transparent nights. I'm imagining the Bogeyman to be just a shade difference with no stars visible and a fairly big splodge visually.

Bottom line- I won't know until I try!

Excellent imaging Carole! keep up the good work.:thumbsup:

• Like 1