NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

List of double and multiple stars?

I wondered is someone could point me in the direction of a list of  double/multiple  stars observable from UK ?

Ideally, separation ,magnitude,  colour, RA DEC.
Or, if there is a list of the ones that are pre-loaded into the skywatcher handsets, that would be good too.

Thanks

There is a good database of double stars and other stuff at virtualcolony.com/sac/   You can search by constellation, brightness difference, etc.

Also look for the Washington Double Star catalog if you want a professional list that includes everything.

• Thanks 1

Because the Moon was going to be fairly bright tonight and at the moment its looking okay for observing I decided to view some double stars

Looking towards the South I picked two constellations for observing. I used 'The Webb Society Double Star book', 'Sissy Haas - doubles for small telescopes' and the 'Cambridge Double Star Atlas' to find them.

Here is a sample. 

Eridanus - Z649, Z576, 66, 62, 55, 40 and 32

Orion - Delta, Sigma, Lambra, Theta, Rho, 23, Iota with Z747

Sorry about the 'Z' I can't produce the proper Struve symbol.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Because the Moon was going to be fairly bright tonight and at the moment its looking okay for observing I decided to view some double stars

Looking towards the South I picked two constellations for observing. I used 'The Webb Society Double Star book', 'Sissy Haas - doubles for small telescopes' and the 'Cambridge Double Star Atlas' to find them.

Here is a sample. 

I was thinking of the bright moon aswell.
Moon for a bit and then doubles I think today.

• Like 1

My favourite recommendations are the top 200 listed at  http://users.compaqnet.be/doublestars 

I love the descriptions, **** ratings and colours.

However I like to put all my targets into Excel so I am currently merging the data from the site above into the Saguaro Astronomy Club http://www.saguaroastro.org/sac-downloads/ double star database version 4.0

Direct link - http://www.saguaroastro.org/wp-content/sac-docs/ObservingDownloads/SAC_Multistars_Ver40.zip

I have changed all the RAs from HH MM.M to HH:MM:SS and will create a CSV file for importing into SKEye

I really like binaries, especially coloured ones. They display wonderfully in my 200P Dobsonian and have been some of my favourite targets. So far I have targeted and can recommend Almach, Polaris, Mizar and Castor.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Here is a sample. 

Download Greek keyboard then you can type it in Σ747 just like that. 

• Like 2

There's a SkySafari public list here: 

The Cambridge double star atlas, Astronomical League double star program, etc. are in the SkySafari online repository of observing lists.

Edited by Pixies
  • Like 2