Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which filter would you buy first ?

I just got my Zwo Asi2600MC Pro and i will buy two filters , one broadband and one narrowband....

So i decided to be , the Optolong L Pro or Idas D2 and the Optolong L extreme...

My problem is money 🤣 so i need your advice on which filter shall i buy first....to start with...

For narrowband I would definitely invest in an Ha filter, but preferably something around 7nm, don;t be tempted to get something cheap like 35nm as it won't do such a good job.  Many broadband targets will also benefit from having added Ha.  Also you can do HaRGB images as well. 

Carole 

i am really embarrassed to say that i live in a Bortle scale of 8 maybe 9 😢 and why embarrassed....well because i used to do mono and now i am switching to color..

So actually i know that most of the filters that i have mentioned, are not going to help me a lot but........

7 minutes ago, Nikolas74 said:

i am really embarrassed to say that i live in a Bortle scale of 8 maybe 9 😢 and why embarrassed....well because i used to do mono and now i am switching to color..

So actually i know that most of the filters that i have mentioned, are not going to help me a lot but........

In that case I would go with the Optolong L-extreme (if you can source one).

• Thanks 1

Is your question whether to buy broadband or narrowband first?

Given that you've bought a colour camera, I'd suggest that the broadband filter will give you best value for money, allowing reasonable quality RGB lights with reduced light pollution. 

The Optolong L-Extreme dual band will give you the option of Ha and Oiii for HOO-style narrowband photos. 

Without a broadband filter, you will struggle to get good RGB data for HaRGB composites in Bortle 8/9 skies.

The final decision is down to your personal choice, and what type of photography you want to do.

The IDAS D2 will help even in your Bortle 8/9 skies and will work fine for broadband images with skies polluted with LED, mercury, tungsten and sodium . No filter is perfect or a substitute for less light polluted skies however.

As you have a colour camera capturing narrowband is less effective as you have to image for 4 times longer due to the RGGB Bayer matrix in a colour camera. The camera is less sensitive due to the RGGB Bayer matrix than the equivalent mono camera. If you do want to go narrowband then a 7nm Ha filter (or even slightly narrower) will be the best option for that camera. Add the Ha as a luminance layer to the broadband data and it should make the images of emission nebulae for instance pop. It won't work with everything as not all objects emit Ha.

If you want to try bicolour or tricolour then there are other filters which capture Ha, OIII at the same time but they have wide passbands. I have one for my OSC and it is okish but not brilliant - Ha on mine is 12nm and OIII is 35nm as it is supposed to let through Hb in the same passband. Those filters are all a compromise.

I wouldn't really bother with separate OIII or SII filters with that camera, good as it is, but invest in a mono camera, filter wheel and narrowband filters later on.

The IDAS-D2 is available in 2" (M48) and 52mm only at the moment as far as I am aware so make sure whatever you buy will fit into your imaging train.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

I wouldn't really bother with separate OIII or SII filters with that camera, good as it is, but invest in a mono camera, filter wheel and narrowband filters later on.

I would have been very much mono/filters but this colour camera with a dual filter seems to redefine that perception.  I’ll be in a good position soon to give a comparison when it arrives.

5 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I would have been very much mono/filters but this colour camera with a dual filter seems to redefine that perception.  I’ll be in a good position soon to give a comparison when it arrives.

I was referring to the OPs camera the ASI 2600MCPro. Is the 2600M a colour camera too?

Just now, TerryMcK said:

I was referring to the OPs camera the ASI 2600MCPro. Is the 2600M a colour camera too?

Sorry typo. Yes I’m getting the same camera, there is no MM.  Gorann on here photographed the squid with 2 hours 15 minutes of data. 

• Thanks 1

The idea of using an Ha about 7nm is very tempting I was thinking that maybe I can do the same with L extreme and add it as Luminance to the RGB data from a broadband filter... and that is why I am planning to buy both.... 

I will be using a SW Esprit 100ED and for wide a Redcat51.