Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bedroom astronomy

There's a stargazine today at 7:30 check the link out episode 31 I think there will be items that will be interesting like startrails you could try with your camera when it arrives you could do inside.

Edited by happy-kat
got the time wrong

I started seriously into astronomy since the lockdown started in April this year and as I live in a first floor flat getting my eq3-2 mount, skywatcher explorer 150p and skymax 127 up and down the stairs is a logistical nightmare so I regularly do visual and imaging from my bedroom and through a window,polar alignment is well dodgy and guesswork so tracking is always off but I can get close. Yes it's not the correct or best way but it sometimes all we have. If I get permission I'm going to build a Todmorden pier in my communal area so I only have the scope and mount to take down. I'm attaching some images I've taken with my canon 450d in prime focus on my skywatcher explorer 150p in my bedroom and through a window as it faces east to south and I'm well happy with these. I know I'm never going to get the most perfect of images and the top quality images others can get with guiding, polar alignment and spending more money on equipment, but it's pleasing to see just what can be achieved when you perserve with it. If someone said to me that I could get an image of M42 like this when I started in April, I'd of said no chance and laughed at them, don't give up when it gets tough with bedroom astronomy and astrophotography, it's possible in some shape or form. 

M42-6-12-20--8-secs-fin.jpg

Moon-9-12-20.jpg

Edited by LeeHore7
  • Like 5

I’m impressed with the amount of detail you have revealed in M42  by sticking your scope out the bedroom window. Well done. You’ll be going for the Horsehead Nebula next! 😄

Edited by Moonshed
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Moonshed said:

I’m impressed with the amount of detail you have revealed in M42  by sticking your scope out the bedroom window. Well done. You’ll be going for the Horsehead Nebula next! 😄

The image of M42 and the running man nebula was using my skywatcher explorer 150p eq3-2 through a window pane as I can only open the smaller top window. I'm always trying for the horsehead and witch head nebula, pushing the boundaries of how not to image the correct way, I've only had a very tiny image of the horsehead nebula but it was there. 😊📷🌌🔭

• Like 2

9 hours ago, happy-kat said:

There's a stargazine today at 7:30 check the link out episode 31 I think there will be items that will be interesting like startrails you could try with your camera when it arrives you could do inside.

Will have a look for this in a minute.. Depending how long it takes me to write this post 😂

4 hours ago, LeeHore7 said:

I started seriously into astronomy since the lockdown started in April this year and as I live in a first floor flat getting my eq3-2 mount, skywatcher explorer 150p and skymax 127 up and down the stairs is a logistical nightmare so I regularly do visual and imaging from my bedroom and through a window,polar alignment is well dodgy and guesswork so tracking is always off but I can get close. Yes it's not the correct or best way but it sometimes all we have. If I get permission I'm going to build a Todmorden pier in my communal area so I only have the scope and mount to take down. I'm attaching some images I've taken with my canon 450d in prime focus on my skywatcher explorer 150p in my bedroom and through a window as it faces east to south and I'm well happy with these. I know I'm never going to get the most perfect of images and the top quality images others can get with guiding, polar alignment and spending more money on equipment, but it's pleasing to see just what can be achieved when you preserve with it. If someone said to me that I could get an image of M42 like this when I started in April, I'd of said no chance and laughed at them, don't give up when it gets tough with bedroom astronomy and astrophotography, it's possible in some shape or form. 

M42-6-12-20--8-secs-fin.jpg

Moon-9-12-20.jpg

That is some exceptional work you you've done there Lee... Brilliant to have some images of what can be achieved out of a bedroom window with what has been said to be far from the best equipment and observation conditions... 

Thank you for sharing if I can get anything close to this I would be extremely happy... 

One thing I did have set in stone in my mind was a 'pds' .... But you have achieved this with just the 'p' which would widen my search field drasticly for a telescope... How do you find using the setup you have? Do you have anymore images you could share please? 

As many have said already.. I am making a start in this hobby because its something I'm passionate about.... 

I don't want to waste my money on something that's completely useless and get the best I can for my budget.... 

If this was all about the images I would just search for images done by the Hubble telescope which I'm sure is even out of your friends budget mal-C 😉

One could say... "Pft, eq8.... You need to be in outer space mate" 😂😂

There is always better equipment out there whatever field/hobby your into.. Take my other hobby fishing... People can go out and buy a £15 rod from bouys but the more experienced anglers don't, they go out and buy a £600 ziplex etc... 

They all have the same desire, to catch fish.... Just some have more money... 

16078884111371104547641660107579.thumb.jpg.1038fcaf4e1fe1372257af0e17f27889.jpg

One step away from taking my 1st baby step into AP 😁 we'll 2 ☁️☁️☁️ 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you. I have to image through a window pane as only a small opening at the top. That's a great first step when your dslr arrives you can achieve a lot of great images with a dslr, lens and tripod though using short exposure times. Most of the work is in the processing of the image using free software. When I want to image outdoors I grab my dslr on a omegon lx2 tracking mount as its mechanical. When time and skies allow I like to do this as I can image more of the milky way then. With my explorer 150p eq3-2 I take off the short black extension tube shown in the photo and attach my dslr via a t-ring and can acheive focus this way. Not sure on any other models though. Planets are much harder to image through my window, I've imaged Mars, Saturn and Jupiter and it shows their not as great as imaging from outside. But I was happy with them, the first time you see Saturn's rings or Jupiter's moons IMG_4195.CR2 you'll be hooked. I've imaged conjunctions of planets and the moon with my dslr, lens and tripod through my window. I'll attach. I will say I've spent some money on this hobby but nowhere near as can be spent, I've enjoyed the images from my set up and like I've ssud pushed the boundaries of the hobby for my limited restrictions. If I could take me scope down 2 flights of stairs more I would, if its clear I'm going to try for the great conjunction on 21st. By no means are these the best images ever but the point I make is I've enjoyed capturing them and the thrill of when you do makes it worth while and when you show your friends and family what's in the sky at night it's mesmerising. All I've ever seen before I started astronomy is the moon and a few constellations, since then learnt and really enjoyed the journey I'm on. 

IMG_20201213_200000.jpg

IMG_20200920_222555.jpg

IMG_20200813_181233.jpg

Moon-Mars-25-11-20-best.jpg

Moon-Venus-Mercury(1)-12-11.jpg

Moon 10.7.20 edit.png

Mars-21-55-21-19-10-20.jpg

Jupiter-14-9-20.jpg

stack edit Saturn 5-6-20.png

Edited by LeeHore7
  • Like 2

Disaster... 🤬

Camera arrived today and all exited when I've just seen orion in clear view I've gone to put all my bits together and the lens dosent fit my camera!? IMG_20201215_014546.thumb.jpg.55d986815f2126f5cdbd6566562e061a.jpg

The lens conection seems to be alot smaller.. 

I'm sure I'd seen that the sigma dg 70-300 fits with the Canon 600d??? 

5 hours ago, ShaunyC said:

Disaster... 🤬

Camera arrived today and all exited when I've just seen orion in clear view I've gone to put all my bits together and the lens dosent fit my camera!? IMG_20201215_014546.thumb.jpg.55d986815f2126f5cdbd6566562e061a.jpg

It may be a nikon version of the lens and not a canon version as they do both,  you can get a nikon lens to canon body adapter for them just check which nikon lens you have though, it maybe a nikon f mount type, all is not lost. Other members may give you better advice so don't buy anything yet. 

Edited by LeeHore7

6 hours ago, ShaunyC said:

Disaster... 🤬

Camera arrived today and all exited when I've just seen orion in clear view I've gone to put all my bits together and the lens dosent fit my camera!?

It looks like you have bought a Pentax K mount version of the lens. If you have bought it from somewhere you can't return it, the best thing to do would be stick it on ebay and you should get your money back. Have a look on camera-jungle (owned by Jessops) or mbp for second hand lenses.

I bought the lens from some local guy on facebook, the listing is no longer up but I've just messeged the chap to ask what camera it was for.. 

He's just replied as I've been writing this and says it was connected to a pentax

So likely either a m42 mount or k mount.

Neither of my lens bottoms are handy right now to look at, but the little leg suggests a k mount. Do some google image lens compare and then get the right adaptor to EOS connector. Make sure the item states 'infinity focus supported.

Edited by happy-kat

Just looked on that jungle site says they a have same lens but for Canon af... 

Says has fungus in lens? Is that a bad thing? 

With postage will still be cheaper than the lens I've bought and buying an adapter and also be here quicker

21 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

I would avoid fungus

I'd agree with you Kat, fungus will potentially etch the coating and glass and is a fair bit of work to fully dismantle and clean every part of the lens and assembly, then regrease the relevant parts with a modern synthetic lube so focus runs smoothly. Getting the lenses correctly installed and focus correct needs a lot of care and of course the correct tools to carry out the works. Sure if it is slight traces you can treat with a dose of UV/sunlight so it doesn't spread but far better to find one that hasn't been infested already - I'd suggest it to still be worth giving it a UV dose tho as well as exercising the focus/aperture to slow any potential effects later on.

OK thanks will stay away from the fungus one... Was just hopping to get something sooner... Just joined a couple of local photography groups on fb maybe someone has an adapter lying around if not will have to order one from ebay or wherever... Really anouying as the skies clear as a whistle tonight 🙄

Will have to settle with a pic of jupiter saturn convergance on my mobile for nowScreenshot_20201215_173739.jpg.bf27c7b2db3a17520d1313f6b66d45b8.jpg

• Like 1

Sounds like you may need one of these:

Adapter Ring for Pentax PK K Lens to Canon EOS EF Mount: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

There are focus confirm versions too which might be handy if you use the lens for daytime shots. This from a quick google rather than knowing either make. Been a long time since I had a Pentax and never had a Cannon.

• 3 weeks later...

Soooo..... 

Happy new year to all 👍

I got that adapter t ring thanks Dave, which took me a while to suss out how it twists on but got there in the end, one thing to be careful of is at 1st zooming in or out can't remember which, is once lense gets to end of travel it twist out of the ring... Lucky enough I had decent grasp of it 1st time it happened... 

But anywho as eager as a fat kid at a rowntree's factory 1st chance I got I pointed up to the sky (this was couple of weeks ago) focus is well off but managed to get single frame... But unfortunately I had no way of viewing it other than on the camera lcd.. 

IMG_20201219_234137.thumb.jpg.bca5ce70d0c5fcf36423b4a38eb5e7be.jpg

But one thing I did realise was I didn't fancy putting my camera on the rubbish £5 tripod I'd bought again... It barley held the camera and lense up, was difficult to get in position smoothly with ough it wanting to move somewhere else and the mount end littrely came off in my hand.... So thing was put on hold for a while... 

A good few days ago I managed to get hold of cheap laptop on fb £65, after seeing some not so plesent images left on it I decided to re format it, which wasn't as hard as I thought but did take some time.. Next thing was to download dss and cr2 photoshop... 

Quickly uploaded the single best frame I had (which was naff to say the least) and had a play with the photo shop tools... I didn't really know what I was doing and just followed the steps in this video.. Massive help this video has been 

So without further adue this is what I got 😂1722918208_orioncopy.thumb.jpg.71da798220d2feee51e37ea5f070455a.jpg

OK so a little disappointed with that but it did help me get my head around layers, stretching and curves... And  didn't dare  put the camera on the tripod for a better attempt... 

Yesterday my friend at work fetched me a tripod in which was alot more stable.. And last night whil I was struggling to sleep I noticed the heavens had cleared up at about half 1 so thought sod it let's try again.... This was pretty much my rig.. IMG_20210102_155855.thumb.jpg.1634f91b7d6b218da0b76baf48164c3a.jpg

A wheely bin dragged around to my back door that has tilt turn window in 😁

Was abit worried the street light was gona spoil the attempt as orion was pretty much above it at the time but wasn't too bad. 

I played with camera settings shorted delay time from 10sec to 2sec now I had better tripod and didn't take along to settle down, 2 second shutter speed, and didn't realise till half way through I'd left iso on max 6500 which was while I was getting it lined up doh... 

I decided to set lense to shortest zoom 70mm rather than max of 300mm which last picture was taken with and also sussed out how to zoom in on live dispay to try get star as tight as pos. 

Get introvoltmeter plugged in and window shut have brew in my dressing gown but that wasn't to be the case as in my quest to buy introvoltmeter I somehow stupidly bought a nikon one another doh, so had to stand there pushing button.. 

In the end I got 59 light frames, 10 darks and 10 bios... I tried to get flats but was struggling to find a white source, tried phone dispay but have cracks in glass which was quite evident, then tried bit of card with light shined on it, paper with light shined being behind it but in the end I gave up... 

So for the 1st time I tried my hand at stacking which wasn't that hard tbf just followed the video and used same settings, did take an hour or so to stack them mind.. Very slow laptop I guess? God knows how long it would take with 500+ images... 

Got the autosave tif file loaded in to photoshop which didn't take me too long to play with since I'd already semi learnt where things was and what to do.. Then just played with settings to what I thought looked OK.. Didn't go to mad with saturation, wanted to try localised saturation with paint brush like in the video but I guess that's one of the elements missing in the older cr2 version? Also was bit of a pia getting it into a file format I could transfer to my phone the psd wouldn't show image and would 'save as' jpeg as too big.. Ended up saving to Web? God knows what that means but here it is... 

So if possible I'd like to class this as my 1st dso not the single frame from before 😂 it's not amazing compared to what I've seen on this site but it's a start👍

oeion1.thumb.jpg.ab545b4ed1c6ee80b818f765c5258b0d.jpg

Still on the lookout for a telescope, nearly bagged 150pds OTA locally but put me off by putting price up more than it was advertised on astobuysell... And I'm really after a 130 tbf with a mount.. 

Thanks for reading if you made it this far sorry its abit long just wanted to share my experience so far..... 

Ps I took this image the other day on a walk which I thought was amazing, bit off track I hope you don't mind, but can't say I've ever seen a full rainbow before never mind a full double 😲

IMG_20210101_205615.thumb.jpg.93ea0352ab01ba36208d6ac29d919271.jpg

• Like 1

That's a great start to your imaging. M42 was my first dso and definitely gave me the bug for more and getting better and learning more. I use a similar old version of photoshop and does me ok so far, though as you say it doesn't have everything but a good place to start. Regarding taking your flats, I use a bit of old white t towel and shine my phone display through it, though you could use an old white t shirt and should hide the cracks in your screen. Perhaps next time try upping the exposure time to 4 seconds at the 70mm lens and open your aperture to its biggest and will let me light in, seeing as you can go to 6400 iso is very good as my canon 450d will only go to 1600 iso. As you've learnt the more you can stack the better your final image will be and more detail it gets, Keep at it and just learn from each experience of imaging. Your image of the double rainbow is amazing and a good capture. Clear skies 📷🌌👌

• Like 1

Have you checked if your camera perhaps has a built-in intervalometer ?   The Nikon D7000 I started with has one among its more advanced features, which I used initially.  Couldn't be used with BULB setting, so longest exposure possible was 30 secs, but presently that would presumably not be a problem for you.

If there's no intervalometer in the camera, I believe you can get one with the 'Magic Lantern' custom firmware for Canon cameras.  See here for more:

https://www.instructables.com/How-to-Make-Time-Lapse-Videos-with-Canon-EOS-DSLR/

Very nice Rainbow image btw. :)

Edited by Erling G-P
  • Like 1