NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Think I'll give tonight a miss

JamesF

It has been foggy to some extent here all day today, but as the Sun set it really started to draw in to the point where an hour or so ago visibility was getting down to around the ten metre mark.  I couldn't actually see the observatory from the house.  I've just looked out of the window however and noticed that it's quite bright and clear in the garden so I stepped outside to find the sky completely clear and the Moon lighting everything up.  The seeing is appalling though.  The stars are wobbling all over the place.  I think therefore that I shall skip getting togged up to go outside for tonight.  Hopefully better skies will be along some time soon.

James

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, John said:

Still got the fog here :rolleyes2:

I wonder if we're perhaps above it (125m above sea level) for the moment?  That does sometimes happen.  If so I can't see the situation lasting very long.

James

I'm at around 100m here. We have been in quite thick cloud / fog for the whole weekend. Down in the nearby valleys, when out walking, we have had a grey ceiling of cloud but decent visibility.

Edited by John

We're stuck in grey mirk and drizzle. It's been drizzling for days. The models got the high pressure wrong. Was never more than a persistent ridge. All I've had since May is breaks in the clouds lasting a few hours. Every time I set up since then I've been clouded out soon after.

Oh well, mother nature must be banking some clear nights for us... hopefully.