Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Final piece arrived

Ken82

Well it was delayed for a few days but my 8mm ethos finally arrived, completing my planned collection for 10” dob. 

I may add to the collection when I start using my 85mm refractor or would that be necessary??

Ken 

57EAF131-4F7B-4716-8D8D-5E34182A47D9.jpeg

5EB7F18E-03F4-4053-AC77-C5946CE5528C.jpeg

• Like 5

If the focal ratio of your 85mm is a bit longer than the 10" Dob, you could add a 41mm Panoptic or 40mm Pentax XW for an even wider TFOV without exceeding a 7mm exit pupil.

Both telescopes could benefit from a 5mm to 6mm eyepiece while still maintaining a very usable exit pupil for highest power observing.  159x is not all that high of a power in reality.  You'll need a bit more to resolve globular clusters.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ken82 said:

planned

That is the key word. The number of eyepieces from my planned collection that I still own is zero 😂. I didn't start with ethos though, so yours may only be added to, not replaced. Congrats on the new eyepiece, it is a very nice set. 

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

If the focal ratio of your 85mm is a bit longer than the 10" Dob, you could add a 41mm Panoptic or 40mm Pentax XW for an even wider TFOV without exceeding a 7mm exit pupil.

Both telescopes could benefit from a 5mm to 6mm eyepiece while still maintaining a very usable exit pupil for highest power observing.  159x is not all that high of a power in reality.  You'll need a bit more to resolve globular clusters.

F ratio of the refractor is f5.3 so quite a short focal length 

2 minutes ago, Ken82 said:

F ratio of the refractor is f5.3 so quite a short focal length 

Alright, you can forget about the 40mm eyepiece then.  I was thinking more of an f/7 TV-85.  I take it you're getting the Tak FSQ-85EDX.  At 450mm FL, the 31mm Nagler will yield 14.5x and a 5.65 degree TFOV, so not much need to go lower or wider.

6 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Alright, you can forget about the 40mm eyepiece then.  I was thinking more of an f/7 TV-85.  I take it you're getting the Tak FSQ-85EDX.  At 450mm FL, the 31mm Nagler will yield 14.5x and a 5.65 degree TFOV, so not much need to go lower or wider.

Yea my fsq 85 is tied up at the minute on my imaging rig until my new scope arrives. 

Probably not the best small refractor for visual but it’s a real handy grab and go. 

For now I’ll use the eyepieces with my dob  which have been excellent. 

5 hours ago, Voyager 3 said:

How much is that "bit more" for reasonably tight globulars ( most messiers) ? 

I find around 200x / 265x works very well on globular clusters with my 12 inch dobsonian. Good for planetary nebulae as well or even higher magnifications for the small planetaries.

Edited by John
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Voyager 3 said:

How much is that "bit more" for reasonably tight globulars ( most messiers) ? 

I totally agree with @John.  GCs begin resolving around 200x in an 8" as well.  At 150x, they still look like fuzz patches.  Smaller PNs also do well at 200x.  In my 15" Dob, 300x or more is quite usable on these targets given reasonably steady skies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Dantooine said:

There maybe some more! I’ve ordered a 22mm T4. Had to be done, they were fighting in the case. 

Very nice !

I had one many years ago. My first "big" Tele Vue :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dantooine said:

There maybe some more! I’ve ordered a 22mm T4. Had to be done, they were fighting in the case. 

You and I need to setup an “Eyepieces Anonymous” group... “it has been at least a week since I bought my last eyepiece” 🤣

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

It’s been a few hours since I have 🤣

Minutes only for me now 🤣

However, I am shortly going to be thinning the eyepiece herd significantly very soon, as I am settling into a set that I use almost all the time and some hardly used at all now... so keep watching the "For Sale/Swap" section 🤔

2 hours ago, HollyHound said:

Minutes only for me now 🤣

However, I am shortly going to be thinning the eyepiece herd significantly very soon, as I am settling into a set that I use almost all the time and some hardly used at all now... so keep watching the "For Sale/Swap" section 🤔

It’s not a bad time for thinning out as most vendors don’t have any in stock to sell. 

• Like 1