NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New purchase unboxing

After few months debating things I decided to go for a Skywatcher 150 ED and with the possibility of prices going up a fair amount I struck a good deal with my local store 

for I’m surprised in stock 150ED so big thanks to Simon at the Widescreen centre and a big 👎👎To Fed EX  . it was pleasing to see the  packaging is up to the task  now as I’d read John’s review of the two he received looks like they took notice it’s nicely packed and the end foam actually goes completely over the focuser the finish is quite nice and the build quality very good ok it’s not premium but it’s the views that count really the focuser seams smooth and well figured the case is very premium looking and the optics look nicely coated so now prepared for lots of cloudy nights ☁️.

D53E1741-48D4-4F4D-B241-94553700A8F2.jpeg

CA2ADE27-62DF-4451-AF75-85D674877479.jpeg

49983801-E61D-449F-BB82-0A4D576AD42C.jpeg

ACDBE901-E730-42DA-A33B-1328129B12E9.jpeg

DC288F38-26D9-4040-8DDE-3960A7B4E9DE.jpeg

4D1D37AD-54DC-4F6C-8A5C-21D3DF00E993.jpeg

58C59DA7-1352-4027-BF54-BFB68E4FC6DE.jpeg

D1B2A64D-8CE5-432D-A21D-3D3557E61BF3.jpeg

5792E89F-7A94-4EEC-AE4D-740D4681B387.jpeg

7B3CCF8A-7813-4B2C-90FE-E73559FF6A26.jpeg

81753D7A-E215-4F9C-BBDD-BEE3E29F3450.jpeg

39BA5159-0A97-4133-86FC-9AE68423A4FA.jpeg

2EF086C3-123A-48DC-9735-47F9BA88C642.jpeg

• Like 10

Good to see that the packaging has improved. Sorry that the courier could not be a bit more careful.

I think Synta have improved the design of the lens retaining ring as well - the USA Skywatcher people said that this had happened. The retention rings of the two ED150's that I had were very thin affairs and not up to the job IMHO.

Hope you enjoy using it :smiley:

22 minutes ago, Marki said:

Nice! I'm considering one of these at the moment, so I'd be interested to see how you get on with it!

Hopefully if the skies clear sometime soon get one while you can at the price they are now I can see these getting a few hundred pounds more in the new year 

20 minutes ago, John said:

Good to see that the packaging has improved. Sorry that the courier could not be a bit more careful.

I think Synta have improved the design of the lens retaining ring as well - the USA Skywatcher people said that this had happened. The retention rings of the two ED150's that I had were very thin affairs and not up to the job IMHO.

Hope you enjoy using it :smiley:

Thanks John it was nice and safe packed very well and yes the optics look fairly sturdy admittedly not as polished and neat as my previous TOA 150 but certainly better value and much lighter 

20 minutes ago, johnturley said:

Be interesting to hear how it compares with the TOA 150 that you used to have, whether performance is almost as good or as good.

John 

I hoping good things the Tak was beautiful but for visual probably overkill and wasted and £12.5k cheaper 

• Like 1

Hello Garry. Got the same scope back in March. The shipping boxes and packaging was first class back then. 👍👍
Very happy with mine. Will prob be the best scope I will ever own. Saw a few objects I’d never managed to glimpse before straight out of the box. Only had about 6/7 sessions due to the you know what 🌧🌧🌧🌧🌧
Look forward to your first light and how it stacks up with your other OTA’s. 

Regards. John 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello Garry. Got the same scope back in March. The shipping boxes and packaging was first class back then. 👍👍
Very happy with mine. Will prob be the best scope I will ever own. Saw a few objects I’d never managed to glimpse before straight out of the box. Only had about 6/7 sessions due to the you know what 🌧🌧🌧🌧🌧
Look forward to your first light and how it stacks up with your other OTA’s. 

Regards. John 

Thanks John I’ve had a few 150 scopes over the years and never been disappointed really by any I’ve seen many good reviews on the optics of this scope

so looking forward to it

Perhaps we should start a SW150ED users thread.  Thursday early evening was the first time I'd had anything like decent seeing conditions since I got mine a few months ago and at last was able to see something of which it was capable.  Certainly stands 400x given the opportunity.    🙂

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

Perhaps we should start a SW150ED users thread.  Thursday early evening was the first time I'd had anything like decent seeing conditions since I got mine a few months ago and at last was able to see something of which it was capable.  Certainly stands 400x given the opportunity.    🙂

Yes Peter we should 🌝 that sounds encouraging I just recently sold my 150 TOA as I felt it was overkill and having such a large amount of cash tied up the Tak the ED150 sounded perfect for my visual needs 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Drew said:

38 minutes ago, garryblueboy said:

Yes Peter we should 🌝 that sounds encouraging I just recently sold my 150 TOA as I felt it was overkill and having such a large amount of cash tied up the Tak the ED150 sounded perfect for my visual needs 

Hello both.  I'm game for the Sw150 owners club.  Rather select members at the moment.  Probably not even double figures on this fab forum is the impression I get.  Not like the "Tak Pack" guys on here. LOL.  No offence intended of course. 

Bang for buck I think it's a nice large aperture frac.  Must admit Peter, not had it up at those sort of mags but if you were happy with the performance, then I'm chuffed I ain't bought a duff un. 

John 

35 minutes ago, garryblueboy said:

Telescope 40 

what’s the score with the Moonlite what was needed 

Hello Garry. 
Ordered a flange via  Rother Valley Optics. Not much wrong with the stock one but had the Moonlite so I “ had” to get it fitted 👍👍

John 

In the USA they do a "de luxe" version with CNC rings, losmandy DT bar and Esprit focuser called the Evostar 150ED DX. In Europe the bar and rings are available as an add-on pack but not the focuser as far as I know:

https://www.skywatcherusa.com/collections/evostar-ed-doublet-refractors/products/evostar-150dx-apo-refractor

Edited by John
Spelling !

I must admit although the rings are adequate I think I will be getting the upgrade ones as for the focuser  it looks ok just thinking a nice Green Moonlite would look really good 

21 minutes ago, John said:

In the USA they do a "de luxe" version with CNC rings, losmandy DT bar and Esprit focuser called the Exostar 150ED DX. In Europe the bar and rings are available as an add-on pack but not the focuser as far as I know:

https://www.skywatcherusa.com/collections/evostar-ed-doublet-refractors/products/evostar-150dx-apo-refractor

yes John seems strange they don't offer that here its quite  a pricy upgrade I guess as it can be had for less doing after the purchase of the OTA 

Congrats!

This scope is very tempting for me! My main concern, apart from I would have to sell something to fund it as I have no job at the mo, is the size and weight. My F9 ED100 is a breeze to use despite being quite long, as it is so light also. My Equinox 120 does feel a bit weighty but okay, though weighty enough that I often grab the 100 for quick views. Would this monster come out to play enough for lazy me? And I imagine my HEQ5 might not be up to the task!

But, but, it keeps nagging me that this would be as big as I would go with a frac, it looks great value, so why not? It would complete my frac lineup (60mm, 85mm, 100mm, 120mm). My current solution to running out of frac aperture when I have the fever is to use a Celestron Edge 8 SCT, which for me has a hint of refractor about it. But is still some way short of the frac experience (not that it is meant to rival fracs on their own terms - it has its own plus points, like compact tube).

I have the ED100 and 120 and love 'em!

John's issues were a little concerning, but I have only good things to say about the several Skywatcher scopes I have owned and would not be put off given some time has passed also.

Ahhhh, those sweet, sweet fracs!

Edited by Luke

10 minutes ago, Luke said:

Congrats!

This scope is very tempting for me! My main concern, apart from I would have to sell something to fund it as I have no job at the mo, is the size and weight. My F9 ED100 is a breeze to use despite being quite long, as it is so light also. My Equinox 120 does feel a bit weighty but okay, though weighty enough that I often grab the 100 for quick views. Would this monster come out to play enough for lazy me? And I imagine my HEQ5 might not be up to the task!

But, but, it keeps nagging me that this would be as big as I would go with a frac, it looks great value, so why not? It would complete my frac lineup (60mm, 85mm, 100mm, 120mm). My current solution to running out of frac aperture when I have the fever is to use an Celestron Edge 8 SCT, which for me has a hint of refractor about it. But is still some way short of the frac experience (not that it is meant to rival fracs - it has its own plus points).

I have the ED100 and 120 and love 'em!

John's issues were a little concerning, but I have only good things to say about the several Skywatcher scopes I have owned and would not be put off given some time has passed also.

Ahhhh, those sweet, sweet fracs!

Luke

the weight is quite surprising really compared to the last few 150 ED And  triplets I've owned this is a light weight granted in its case etc its quite a lump but removed its easy a one man task to mount guess as I have had triplets for some time they are heavy so this is a breath of fresh air  last doublet I had was the Vixen Atlux and that was a beast  , I think the ones John tested were early production gremlins . I now have the gap once again covered so 120-130-150 APO Refractors and the C11 Edge  when its good seeing 

Edited by garryblueboy
  • Like 2

Thanks Garry! I just dug out these weights, I am not sure if they are definitely correct:

Evostar 100ED: 3kg
Equinox 120ED: 6.5 Kg
Evostar 150ED: 9.5kg
Celestron C11: 12.5kg

My effortometer:

ED100 - a breeze!
Equinox 120 - okay, but I tend to grab the 100 for quick sessions!
ED150 - in between the 120 and C11!
Celetron C11 - I found this a bit more of a heft up to the mount than I care for now! I have become very lazy!!!

Hmmm, it is still tempting! Especially if it would be okay on the HEQ5 (I used an NEQ6 for the C11, which I no longer have). Temptations, temptations!

Edited by Luke
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Luke said:

Thanks Garry! I just dug out these weights, I am not sure if they are definitely correct:

Evostar 100ED: 3kg
Equinox 120ED: 6.5 Kg
Evostar 150ED: 9.5kg
Celestron C11: 12.5kg

My effortometer:

ED100 - a breeze!
Equinox 120 - okay, but I tend to grab the 100 for quick sessions!
ED150 - in between the 120 and C11!
Celetron C11 - I found this a bit more of a heft up to the mount than I care for now! I have become very lazy!!!

Hmmm, it is still tempting! Especially if it would be okay on the HEQ5 (I used an NEQ6 for the C11, which I no longer have). Temptations, temptations!

Definitely much easier than a C11 in fact there’s not much in it between my Takahashi 120 TSA and that’s a nice easy lift 

The examples that I was sent were very, very early ones and the manufacturer and importer have reacted positively to the early issues. Even back then I felt that the scope had great potential to be a larger aperture version of the excellent ED120 Pro and that is what it is turning out to be :smiley:

Here is one of the ones that I had compared with my ED120 for size:

P1080674.JPG

• Like 1

Interesting to compare the internal case packing that is now used (1st pic - Garry's) with the 1st one that I was sent (2nd pic). Subtle but effective changes. The scope case is also protected within the cardboard box by whole sheets of foam rather than a few spars of foam that were used when they sent mine:

P1080661.JPG

Edited by John
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, John said:

Interesting to compare the internal case packing that is now used (1st pic - Garry's) with the 1st one that I was sent (2nd pic). Subtle but effective changes. The scope case is also protected within the cardboard box by whole sheets of foam rather than a few spars of foam that were used when they sent mine:

P1080661.JPG

Also John was your case inside a styrofoam coffin mine was totally covered like a case inside a case 

Edited by garryblueboy
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, garryblueboy said:

Also John was your case inside a styrofoam coffin mine was totally covered like a case inside a case 

No - just some strips of styrofoam across the top and bottom of the case (not the sides)

P1080656.JPG

11 minutes ago, garryblueboy said:

It’s a box made from styrofoam that the case goes in really thick to 

Good improvement there as well.

I wonder what happened to the 2 scopes that I was loaned :icon_scratch: