Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dang it Mars, you bright!

jonathan

I observed Mars about a month ago, felt like I could see quite a lot of detail compared to usual, that was in my 8" SCT with 8mm eyepiece (Baader Zoom).  Last night I pointed my 102 refractor at Mars, the brightness now is almost overpowering, I had to use a moon filter just to see the surface detail, I also tried out my neodymium filter for the first time, I think it did make a significant difference (glare was gone, details seemed more visible) however there was still some colour fringing and it was definitely a pale salmon colour rather than the darker muddy orange we're used to seeing in pictures or most of the time through a telescope.  Just looking at Mars with the naked eye, it looks much more like one of the white stars around it than the red planet, probably even less red than Betelgeuse.

I'll continue to observe Mars as it moves away and dims, perhaps there will be a sweeter spot where it's not quite as bright and still close enough to reveal the surface detail.  I think the view through my refractor was certainly sharper than the SCT, however the brightness and distance meant that it wasn't quite a like-for-like comparison (there was no colour fringing that I could detect through the SCT).  Perhaps viewing in another week or two would provide a fairer comparison.  I have another filter on the way, the Baader Contrast Booster, which I hope will stack well with the neodymium to further reduce the glare and bring out the details.

• Like 1

Interesting observations @jonathan, I have only had one look at Mars this season at 3am one night about a week ago with my 12 inch Dob and it too seemed very pale and washed out in colour with surface details very faintly visible in very good seeing conditions. Incessant cloud has prevented any more views but I too look forward to seeing it in the next week or two to see if it appears any redder and more contrasty as it recedes away from us.

Just out now with my FS128 and binoviewer. Very bright Mars, despite even brighter moon not too far west of Mars.

I agree the surface detail isn't easy to see tonight,  I've found that a pair of Morpheus 17.5mm with a WO 1.6x nosepiece in the front of the BV is giving me around 165x I think, that's been the best for me this evening. I am sure I can see both polar caps, the north at c 12 noon wider than the smaller, sharper southern cap at c 5.30 o'clock (refractor & diagonal view, ie true north and south, but E & W reversed).

There is a large land mass visible but not well enough defined (and my knowledge of Martian features too poor) to be specific tonight. It looks.vaguely like the Australian sub continent?

A nice sight but frustrating in equal measure!

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
Additional text info
  • Like 1

Hello. Been trying Mars myself tonight as a fairly clear night has shown up !! Using my Stellarvue 102 - Baader Mbright BV’s. 
I’m struggling a little as well. Somewhat washed out. Polar cap on shows nicely and some shading but can’t say I’m feeling the love. Tried my Neodymium filter which slightly improved things. 
Astronomers - picky picky picky. Lol 

John 

• Like 1

Very bright for me too. Skywatcher Explorer 150P and vixen 6mm eyepiece. However it was my first time looking.  I found Saturn particularly good though. Finished with moon which as a newcomer was staggering. Highlights were a neighbours 4 year old saying she saw a face on the moon going to sleep. 2 of the least likely candidates local teenage lads asked to look. Although their comments were full of expletives they were very impressed. 

• Like 1