Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Green Laser Pointer on 20x80 Binoculars

bond19

personally I'd be real careful of aiming a laser into the night sky. You could fit a RDF tho if you can find a suitable mounting, one of the riflescope types may work tho I can't say I've ever tried given mine are wider angle than a 20x probably is.

• Like 1

Celestron do a RDF rail that clips onto the central bar for their Skymaster Pro series. If you do go the GLP route, probably the best way is a weaver or picatinny rail and a GLP gunsight. (Not exactly sure how to fit the rail to the bar, though - but you can get them with all sorts of barrel adaptors.) 

5mW max, buy from a reputable Astro company and you should get the power you ordered (I bought from a more mass market eshop and got 10x the power I wanted!)

given you only need to use one of these for a few seconds, assuming that the   Centre rail is pointing where the bins are and assuming the laser direction is aligned to the housing of the pointer, the simplest would be an “X” shaped widget that rests on the rail and the laser rests on, so they’re aligned.  Easy to design and 3D print.m, what diameter are the rail and laser?
I have tripod mounted 70mm angled bins with a “?weaver rail”, which has a small v-groove in the middle. I just rest the pointer in the groove, short laser bursts to help me point the bins where I want them, then the pointer goes back in the pocket (they don’t like the cold much). This will get you close enough, especially if you’ve use lower power bins to understand better where you want to point.

Peter

I use a laser pen on my bins on the homemade binocular mirror mount and discreetly. We might as well ban kitchen knives too if lasers pens are regarded as a bad thing. We are not the types who point lasers at aircraft.

A problem I have with laser pens is finding one that doesn't wilt in cold weather. Can anyone recommend a good supplier? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merlin said:

I use a laser pen on my bins on the homemade binocular mirror mount and discreetly. We might as well ban kitchen knives too if lasers pens are regarded as a bad thing. We are not the types who point lasers at aircraft.

A problem I have with laser pens is finding one that doesn't wilt in cold weather. Can anyone recommend a good supplier? 

Hi Merlin. The key word here is 'discreetly'There are idiots who misue anything and we all suffer for their stupidity.
But if you use an appropriately powered pointer correctly, nobody notices it.

All the laser pointers I have seen are essentially 'room temperature' devices. When chilly, they increase their intensity over several seconds as things warm.
I haven't had one outside on a cold night for long enough to establish operating limits.
Just arrange a watt or so of heating and put a bit of insulation around the pointer, leaving just the switch and shiny end exposed of course.
A decent size powerbank will keep the package warm for the evening. But maybe you already have a decent size battery for anti dew on your binos and mirror?

HTH, David.

• Like 1

The bins don't dew up David, as the y point downwards to the mirror. I've found that it's the diode that's sensitive, at about 5C, rather than the batteries. 

If I cover the diode for a short time with a fingertip to give it some heat, it comes on but only for a couple of seconds or so. There are laser pens that can take quite a lot of cold before wilting, it's just knowing from where.

• 11 months later...
On 02/10/2020 at 21:26, Demon Barber said:

Hi Chris,here is a low cost but effective way of mounting a red/green dot finder.

B + Q  pipe clips araldite and a nut and bolt,cost app £1.50

Mike

IMG_9056.JPG

IMG_9055.JPG

IMG_9057.JPG

Thanks Mike, this should work for me.

• 4 months later...
On 05/10/2020 at 12:15, Merlin said:

I believe Z Bolt makes one that functions down to 15 degrees

On 05/10/2020 at 11:15, Merlin said:

We are not the types who point lasers at aircraft.

It's a federal offense here.  I'd get one but I have *way* too much air traffic over and around me - commercial, private, and air ambulance helos - to take chances with a hefty fine.

IMG_0477.thumb.JPG.d93b6fa22ff3060e46eae81b051e6b9f.JPG

Here’s one I made for my RDF’s… I have more than one! 

Parts List…

• 1x spare TeleVue ‘QwikPoint’ mounting block
  • 2x 15mm pipe clips
  • 2x M4 10 or 12mm machine screws
  • 2x M4 nyloc nuts
Edited by Philip R

• 1 month later...
On 05/10/2020 at 12:15, Merlin said:

Z Bolt has one that is good down to 15 degrees Fahrenheit.  

On 05/10/2020 at 17:15, Merlin said:

Laser pointers really don't like the cold. The batteries die very quickly. They won't last long at all if you keep the power button pressed down if using as a "dot finder".