SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

IC1311 and (SHO) Surrounding Emission Nebula

Adam J

This is something I have been working on for a while and my first three colour narrow band image. I have normally kept my imaging to HOO for a few reasons, the first reason being that I don’t have much time to image and so three channels means I get less images completed. The second reason is that I am not a fan of the more tradition blue and gold image pallet. The final reason is that I have slowly being adding AD filters (to expensive to buy all at the same time for me) and I got the last, a 5nm SII, from Ian King at the end of May.

I actually found this area by scanning around the sky taking snaps with the a Ha filter and when I saw this it grabbed me as I did not remember having seen a detailed image of it posted anywhere so I started to image it not really knowing what would turn up. That was quite exciting as it kinda felt like I had discovered something from first principles. Then Chuck of Chuck's astrophotography imaged it a few weeks later and i was very put out lol.

I have plate solved this image on Astrobin and the only thing that it comes up with is a little ring around the small cluster IC1311 to the top left of the image. Hence although I know this is part of the SADR region I was a little surprised that this bright sub object did not have its own designation.

This is also the first narrow band outing for my Esprit 100 since having received it last Christmas.

Integration:

10 hours of Ha 5nm AD + 7.5 hours of SII 5nm AD + 6 hours of OIII 5nm AD: Total = 23.5 hours.

Equipment:

Esprit 100, AZ EQ6 GT, ASI1600MM Pro

I know this pallet will not be to everyone’s taste and that I could spend some time sharpening it but I like it and I am all processed out for now. :)

Hope you like it!

830633177_BSRv51processingRandom_Ha_SHO_combine-RGB-imagesr-St.thumb.jpg.fde2a46f5d8a329a54dec0121ca7f1fc.jpg

This bit remindes me of the signus wall, in shape at least.

1587347911_CropBSRv51processingRandom_Ha_SHO_combine-RGB-imagesr-St.thumb.jpg.ea3dbda728cf3bf7ade59d274e9f693d.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Adam

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 25

Very nice, and I feel the same excitement when scanning the sky. Nice to do something that feels unique.

On 24/09/2020 at 22:45, Adam J said:

Then Chuck of Chuck's astrophotography imaged it a few weeks later and i was very put out lol.

😂 I admire your honesty. Hate when that happens.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phillyo said:

This is awesome. I notice you're in Lincoln too. Do you image from your back garden or go to any remote dark sites? (Wolds area is nearest I'm guessing).

I am on the southern outskirts of Lincoln, I have a small role of roof observatory in my back garden.  

I have poor views to the south though so am currently putting a mobile rig together to allow me to image more targets and to take on holiday with me. 

For Narrow-band light pollution in Lincoln will not effect your imaging unless your right up in the centre. 

Adam

8 minutes ago, Adam J said:

I am on the southern outskirts of Lincoln, I have a small role of roof observatory in my back garden.  

I have poor views to the south though so am currently putting a mobile rig together to allow me to image more targets and to take on holiday with me. 

For Narrow-band light pollution in Lincoln will not effect your imaging unless your right up in the centre. 

Adam

I live in Washy so it's not terrible, though getting worse. I don't have any real kit at the moment, sold everything about 5 years ago but looking to get back into it again. NB is where I'm leaning, but I'm very tempted to get a OSC with a portable set up (Sky Guider Pro, Redcat 51 etc) and head out towards Donington on Bain or Stenigot to set up in a darker area.

3 minutes ago, Phillyo said:

I live in Washy so it's not terrible, though getting worse. I don't have any real kit at the moment, sold everything about 5 years ago but looking to get back into it again. NB is where I'm leaning, but I'm very tempted to get a OSC with a portable set up (Sky Guider Pro, Redcat 51 etc) and head out towards Donington on Bain or Stenigot to set up in a darker area.

That is not a bad plan but you would be surprised what you might get from home, I would get the equipment that you are going to be able to use the most. Being able to image from home is a big positive. The new L-extreme filter is a good option for mobile as you will be able to collect two narrow band channels at the same time. But all in all I would not move away from mono except for some niche applications.   

Adam

• Like 1

Yeah I think I want to stick with mono really. I used to have a QSI583wsg and loved it. Wow but things have moved a LOT in the last 5 years. CMOS is now the flavour of the week apparently! I'm very interested in the new ZWO294MM sensor though so I might head in that direction.

Anyway, enough post hijacking! Thanks for the replies. Again, stunning image Adam. Nice to see people so local getting such images. Fills one with inspiration!

• Like 1