Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Planetary observation in the South West?

parallaxerr

I'm wondering how observers in the South West/South Wales region have been getting on with observing the planets recently?

I've been finding it hard work with my F8 achro and can't quite fathom whether it's the local seeing or the scope. Star testing suggests collimation is good, though the soft extra focal image may suggest quite some under correction, can this adversely affect migh mag work?

Jupiter has been very washed out, I can just about make out the North and South banding and a few rare glimpses of the GRS. However, I seem restricted to quite low magnification, in the region of X100, any higher and the image becomes mush.

Saturn is handling a little bit more mag as usual, but again nowhere near what I'd expect. The Casini division is fleeting at best.

Mars, well South polar cap and the faintest hints of albedo, which may sound OK but I've seen so much better in the past in other scopes.

Of course, the planets are low and conditions are likely considearbly different to past observations. I've noticed a lot of bubbling when in sharp focus suggesting it's mostly atmospheric issues.

So, before I find reason to buy a planetary scope, please tell me others in the region are experiencing the same!?!?

Edited by parallaxerr

I've had a few decent views of Saturn and Jupiter over the past few months but on the whole the views are not as good as I can recall when these planets have been higher in the sky. I'm not really making observing them a priority this year because I know I've had better in the past.

Mars has been pretty good though and this opposition is providing much better views than the last one did even though Mars is a touch smaller this year. It's altitude is much higher this year which makes a lot of difference I think.

I've found that my smaller aperture scopes (refractors mainly) have been more effective planetary observing instruments than my 12 inch dobsonian although the dob has shown Mars quite nicely at times.

In your case I would not be too quick to blame the scope. A few years back it was said by experienced observers on this forum that the coming years would be a bit lean for planetary observing enthusiasts and I think they were, in the main, correct.

• Like 1

I'm not in the south west so cannot compare directly the seeing but definitely the low positions of Jupiter and Saturn go a long way towards explaining the bad views for me.

Yesterday was so bad I'm not absolutely confident I saw the shadow of Io on Jupiter. It was total mush.

As for Mars I have had better success but my best views really kick in around 200x and above. Anything less than that and Mars is tiny and too bright.

I doubt it's the scope, have you checked it on some double stars near the zenith?  I find Delta Cygni right now is a good one to test for both seeing and scope performance.

Nikolay

Edited by Nik271
  • Like 1

The North East, here. I was observing Mars last night with an 8" dob and 250x magnification. The seeing at times was very good, with fine details coming into 'focus'; a lot better than the previous attempts over the past few months.

The local weather was still and damp, with some mist around to start with. Transparency was poor. I think this all helped to provide the good views. Tiny, sharp details would suddenly appear - at a fine level that I hadn't seen previously. Now - I am a newbie to all this, but I have been observing Mars at any opportunity these past weeks, and last night was completely different. The area around what I believe is Aurorae Sinus, was particularly good:

image.png.82026101db0131c45cd48bc7f1f55364.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, parallaxerr said:

I'm wondering how observers in the South West/South Wales region have been getting on with observing the planets recently?

I've been finding it hard work with my F8 achro and can't quite fathom whether it's the local seeing or the scope. Star testing suggests collimation is good, though the soft extra focal image may suggest quite some under correction, can this adversely affect migh mag work?

Jupiter has been very washed out, I can just about make out the North and South banding and a few rare glimpses of the GRS. However, I seem restricted to quite low magnification, in the region of X100, any higher and the image becomes mush.

Saturn is handling a little bit more mag as usual, but again nowhere near what I'd expect. The Casini division is fleeting at best.

Mars, well South polar cap and the faintest hints of albedo, which may sound OK but I've seen so much better in the past in other scopes.

Of course, the planets are low and conditions are likely considearbly different to past observations. I've noticed a lot of bubbling when in sharp focus suggesting it's mostly atmospheric issues.

So, before I find reason to buy a planetary scope, please tell me others in the region are experiencing the same!?!?

Hi

I live in North Cornwall and have a skywatcher 150p and skymax 127, my viewing has been a bit hit and miss at times (I have to view through a window which doesn't help I know, but some astronomy is better than none as I live in a flat and can't move my wmset up down the flights of stairs) but I'm a total newbie as of April this year. As you know Saturn and Jupiter are low down and not the best viewing I regularly see the bands on Jupiter but have never times it right to see the grs because of poor weather, I see cassini division regularly, Mars has been performing better at lower mag for me and on the 150p I stop down the scope and that gives me better detail. I mainly use my zwo asi120mc-s with sharpcap and processing software to bring the details through so rely on this more than visual. Last night was very poor regarding Mars as windy and not good seeing but have had good captures recently and more to process frim this week. I have to say my 150p has been performing much better than my skymax 127 recently and both are in good collimation. I tend to go for higher magnification when imaging and lower whilst visual at the moment. Like I say I'm a total newbie and still learning so much and know I'm doing things wrong but having fun in learning better ways to view, sorry if I've not been much help, I find the best thing is to keep viewing and the good details will come through as my eyes get used to picking out all the good stuff, plus I'm having so much fun and hopefully when Mars in opposition the skies will be clear 

01_08_21_Mars 10-9-20 copy.jpg

m42-044924-copy-for-web median blur.jpg

22_13_31-Jupiter_conv-good-.jpg

22_31_28_lapl4_ap1_conv softened.png

• Like 3

Hi Jon,

Here in Lancashire the planet's haven't been at their best for some time. Jupiter is a shadow of what it can be due to its low altitude. Saturn, although perhaps looking better than Jupiter, is still far from its best. Even Mars has been a bit of a battle due to atmospheric turbulence and less intense albedo features than can often be seen. So it might not be your scope but simply their current positions and our own atmosphere.

• Like 3

I live further along the coast from you and views of Jupiter & Saturn haven’t been up to much this year and that’s using a Tak FC-100DL.

Best views of Mars so far have been very early in morning when the atmosphere is calm and it’s  high in the sky, also found the Baader neodymium filter helpful in cutting out glare & enhancing detail. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the input. It's great to hear the opinions of more seasoned observers and those with different and superior equipment.

It definitely sounds as though conditions are more to blame than the scope! For a bit of fun, I've dug out the Vixen 80mm achro for a side by side comparison when the clouds part. I'm wondering if the dimmer image and less CA will clean things up a little. I seem to be limited to less than 150X, so the Vixen should hold up to that.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, John said:

I've got a scope out but I've not looked through it yet. Quite blustery winds but it sounds as if the seeing is rotten as well.

Oddly enough, I have a scope that I've never looked through :D

Same deal here though -- gusting winds and largely a waste of time from an observing point of view.

James

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, John said:

I've got a scope out but I've not looked through it yet. Quite blustery winds but it sounds as if the seeing is rotten as well.

The clouds came in late here, so I thought I was going to get a 3rd clear night in a row, but they rolled in an hour ago.

But before then, when looking up, even Vega and Deneb were 'twinkling' - which isn't a good sign.

• Like 1

Mars looks OK'ish at times with the 90mm achro refractor I popped out tonight. The S polar cap is clear and a range of dark areas when the seeing and the wind gusts steady for a moment and the cloud blobs keep clear. Not staying out for long though.

I’ve been viewing Mars with a TakFC-100 for the last few nights and have been disappointed with the lack of detail (with Delite 4mm at 185x). Southern ice cap is visible, but the albedo features have been difficult to distinguish. I’ve even been getting false colour - not something usually seen with this scope. So hoping conditions improve.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, John said:

Mars looks OK'ish at times with the 90mm achro refractor I popped out tonight. The S polar cap is clear and a range of dark areas when the seeing and the wind gusts steady for a moment and the cloud blobs keep clear. Not staying out for long though.

What time were you observing John. It looked like conditions were improving when I packed up, but couldn't stay up later what with the kids having me up at 5am 😴

Could be heat radiation/thermals I was suffering with. I may have to plan a later session to get better views.

4 hours ago, parallaxerr said:

What time were you observing John. It looked like conditions were improving when I packed up, but couldn't stay up later what with the kids having me up at 5am 😴

Could be heat radiation/thermals I was suffering with. I may have to plan a later session to get better views.

Around midnight Jon.

I've just been out looking at Jupiter and Saturn with my Tak 100. The seeing is not too bad tonight.

• Like 1

The atmosphere for me on Sunday was heavily moisture laden, so some dewing but also terrible to look through.

Planets for me are difficult at present due to the altitude and local trees, need to shift to a different location in front garden next time.

But of course writing this now on Weds am, the clouds and rain have arrived!

• Like 2

Hi Jon,

A little way from you near Hay on Wye but had beautiful conditions around 4.00 on the morning of the 22nd. The profile of Mars was sharp and steady for much of the time using a 4'' B&L sct and Meade 8'' sct with mags of x170 and x270 respectively. Saw a fair amount of detail in the Meade although the contrast was low but very little in the 4'' apart from the obvious SPC. Probably due to the scope's limitations as well as it's aperture. I bet a good 4'' refractor would have delivered.

Earlier on Polaris showed as an Airy disc in both scopes which promised well but Saturn and Jupiter were still disappointing. I think the seeing improved through the night.

Is your F/8 achro 6'' aperture?

You might try placing a 1/3rd aperture paper disc on the centre of the lens when star testing in and out of focus. It will quickly tell if the objective is seriously under or over-corrected.

David

Edited by davidc135