NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A few questions about Celestron Edge HD mirror locks

Hi, 

So I'd like to learn more  about Celestron's mirror locks that are installed on their Edge HD models.

I have an Evolution 8" Edge that has these lockls.

* What do they do?

* Why do only the Edge models have themn installed? 

* When should I have them screwed in? 

* Should I leave them loose most of the time? 

Any help you can give me in answering those questions will be much appreciated, thanks, plus anything else you'd like to tell me about these mirror locks, I am here to be enlightened. 

I did initially have my locks done up which is maybe why I was creaking noises from the focuser area............ I now have them both unscrwed 6 turns. 

I am just into geneal astronomy, I don't do astrophotography nor use a guider, if that info helps you pitch your answers to me. 

As always, thank you.

Siouxsie 

Celeste rear.jpg

• Like 1

They should be left "totally" loose for normal visual astronomy when using the built-in focuser.  They're mainly there for transporting the telescope and to lock up the mirror during imaging (as when a secondary focuser replaces the normal visual back) to prevent mirror shift as the telescope changes orientation while tracking across the sky.  If you lock up the mirror and try to focus using the built-in focuser, you're likely to break or bend something because the scope focuses by moving the primary mirror.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Louis D said:

They're mainly there for transporting the telescope ....

Is there a "correct" or "ideal" position for the focus knob to be before tightening and locking the mirror for transporting?  All the way in? All the way out? Not important?

2 minutes ago, globular said:

Is there a "correct" or "ideal" position for the focus knob to be before tightening and locking the mirror for transporting?  All the way in? All the way out? Not important?

I've never heard that it matters, just don't overdue it when tightening them.  Hopefully a few others with more knowledge than I in this area will chime in.

• Thanks 1