NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQMOD vs PCDirect mode

What is the difference between the EQMOD sey-up which Beamish recently built and the PC Direct mode from the Synscan handset.

I use the handset in PC Direct mode and use the EQMOD software to control the mount from Cartes Du Ciel.

Am I missing out on something this way?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMHO Its just personal choice, I just looked at it as one less thing that you didn't have to plug in :hello2: . Technically I don't think it really make any difference.

The other thing to consider is that if you every upgrade your mount to a eq6, you could buy the eq6 syn trek version which comes without a hand set and is approx 200 quid cheaper that the eq6 pro ( as i did recently :D ) So it can save you a few pennies in the future :)

Also there have been reports from users of the PC Direct method of "problems". I think that these manifest themselves during cold weather.

It also elliminates the faffing around of having to go through numerous inputs and menus to eventually get to the PC Direct mode.

Steve

I assume that when we say PC direct - we're talking about what I'm doing? which is pulse guiding.

On the handset (for V3) you don't need to select PC direct mode.

If it is and the slowing down of the handset due to the cold is a cause of problems then that could be the answer for me as well.

If I wanted to bypass the handset what do I do? What do I need? is it going to cost me any money?

Ant

As has already been said ,it's one less thing to plug in, one less thing to get damaged and one less thing in the chain that may give grief. I guide with PHD thru EqMOD, not thru the mount. There have been reports of the cold affecting the H/s and slowing it down.This way your safe from all these and you don't have to faff about setting up the H/s every time you start up before even getting to scroll to PC-Direct. The mount takes all it's time /postion data etc directly from your planetarium s/w. The h/s could be sold seperately or as mentioned if you up grade to EQ6 then you'll only need the syntrek version, loads cheaper. I'm only beginning to fully appreciate just how good EQmod is, and would suggest if anyone were interested in the benefits to visit/join the Yahoo group.

The method I've employed, using the FTDI TTL232R is for me the easiest and cheapest method as there's little chance of building my own. I know Reggie finds the same.

Total cost of the job 20.00 +/- :shock: :)

Just makes life simpler !!

Karlo

EQMOD is a driver program that talks the mount's native protocol as such it is not dependent on handcontroller algorithms to provide the mount control. This has given us the freedom to develop our own goto/alignment/guiding/PEC agorithms.

EQMOD is not the only way to control the mount from a PC, you can opt to use the celestron drivers in which case messages are sent to the handcontroller which then interprets them and initiates its own messages to the mount to provide the desired operation. For basic mount movement this works fine but with this approach you don't get the level of functionality that EQMOD can provide.

Synta introduced PC-Direct mode with V3.21 of the handcontroller firmware although have never adequately explained their intentions for its use. EQMOD users however discovered that they could use it to route EQMOD messages through to the mount and in the process spare the cost of a 232/usb-ttl level convertor. This said some users have reported experience intermitent communications problems when using PC Direct mode. The mount protocol is a low level master slave affair and having two masters (PC driver and Handcontroller) connected at the same time may be at the root of these problems.

So if you are a regular EQMOD user I would recommend considerring a direct connection to the mount. If you want to evaluate the benefits of EQMOD then PC-Direct mode is a good way to do it.

Chris

I see there are two of the same name, but I believe them both to be the same person.

Of course that means we can get twice the input from Chris, who is dare I say, very clued up on Eqmod.

Welcome to SGL.

Ron. :thumbright:

Is having the handset a real disadvantage.

Not having to re-enter date/time everytime you switch on

Multiple star alignments

Real time monitoring of guiding signals sent to the mount

More than 2 lines of display

Handset not slowing down in the cold

I bought the EQDIR module (cos I have fat chipolatas for fingers) for about £30, and use a Cardbus adapter serial port, rather than a USB-Serial.

Its great!

Sold here: http://apple.clickandbuild.com/cnb/shop/ftdichip?op=catalogue-products-null&prodCategoryID=47&title=Cables%3A+TTL-232R+and+variantsDownloaded and install the driver from here http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm .

plus some data cable (straight thru) to be safe, though I made up my own from just the cable and an RJ45 module.

see http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?topic=37542.new;topicseen#new[/]

Total= approx' 20.00 !!!!

I see there are two of the same name, but I believe them both to be the same person.

Of course that means we can get twice the input from Chris, who is dare I say, very clued up on Eqmod.

Welcome to SGL.

Well not quite the same name. Mr Shiilito is my evil twin but he's really stupid and can't even spell his own name! :) (please delete if you wish).

Welcome to SGL.

Well not quite the same name. Mr Shiilito is my evil twin but he's really stupid and can't even spell his own name! :) (please delete if you wish).

Ah!, much like Jekyl and Hyde. Hyde was evil, but far from stupid. :)

I'll see about having the one with too many I's removed, as it gives us one more member than we really have. :mrgreen: :)

Cheers mate.

Same ere George - I sit in front of the fire, and control everything whilst watching TV in the front room :)

Who said you have to get cold whilst doing Astronomy?

EQMOD makes life very very easy - I brought mine from http://www.pierro-astro.com/ for about £30 (before the Euro ate the Pound) - the EQ6-USB is the one you want - €49

The handset hasn't been out of the drawer since I got it - about a day after I got the EQ6!

I can do everything but focus from anywhere.

Richie

I use EQMod through the Synscan Handset using the PC Direct mode and have not had any problems. I have used the handset direction pad during the EQMod align process so no real need for a gamepad controller to move the scope. At the end of the day I use a USB to serial adapter which I already owned with the synscan RS232 lead plugged into it.

If you were starting out with no adapters available the FTDI TTL232R USB to TTL adapter previously mentioned would be the cheapest option to connect the laptop directly to the mount. The only issue with this option is that a little home wiring is needed.

Regards

Kevin

So as I use PC Direct mode and EQmod to control the mount via Cartes Du Ciel I am already doing everything that the other option will give with the exception of not having to plug in a handset or enter the date etc.

I personally dont go out when it is really cold so the handset has never caused me problems and I don't find entering the date a problem etc so I think I will stick to the handset.

I went the same route as beamish and made mine with the ftdi cable and an old lan cable I had knocking around, I tried the PC direct route, didn't really like the faffing around, I ran it as pure synscan + PHD with the celestron drivers for the last couple of months, just so I know how to use the thing if my battery runs flat on the laptop if I ever make it to a dark site.

I've had 2 sessions on EQMod so far, alignment is way easier than synscan, I don't have to look up the star in a planetarium app. I can just choose any target to align on. I really like that, as I don't have much time to learn the night sky, instead of getting a short list of stars and choose one of the handful in my fov that synscan gives me to choose from and having to refer back to the planetarium app to confirm its position, I can now pick the star, read its name, see its position and go for it, I'm pretty familiar with most of the constellation shapes just haven't got a clue what the majority of the stars are called.

the other thing I noticed was the accuracy has shot right up, I haven't tried to do a full alignment with just the webcam in, but I use the EP to align then I replace it with the webcam on my next slew my target is in its FOV, which I've never achieved with just the handset, even better though is the fact that I can do a quick re-sync with the webcam on another star and know that it's going to be almost dead centre of my FOV, didn't have to go outside again all night except for focusing on new targets :)

If using the synscan handset in conjunction with the EQMOD software you don not have to enter the date or do any of the initial set up that you would normally have to do on the handset. You just need to navigate to the utility menu and switch on the PC direct Mode. The handset is then only doing the level translation from the RS232 signals to TTL. The handset can still be used during the EQMOD N-star alignment process to steer the scope onto the alignment stars. I have had no problems with the handset even down to -8°C the only effect on the sysnscan handset is slowing down of the displays response and being as this is not being used whilst EQMOD is aligned and running shouldn't be an issue.

Regards

Kevin

Archived