Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Power supply question

Hi.

I just bought an eq5 pro synscan mount. It's arriving in a few days. However it comes with no power supply. As I'll be mainly using it in my back garden, I want to buy a mains adaptor first of all. I've seen a lot of posts saying I just need a 12v dc supply of 2 amps or more. However I also keep seeing people saying it needs to have a cigarette lighter type connector.

Can anyone confirm what type of connector it needs please?

Your mount has a 2,1 mm central positive connector. If your mount is the only thing you want to power, a little power converter from mains to 12Volt / 2,5Amp  is big enough. If you also want to power dew control, it works better if you buy a separate converter for that, so your mount gets a continuous power supply without being influenced buy the dew control. At the power converter side many possibilities for connection are available, also with a fixed cable with the right connector. In the link mentioned by MarkAr is an option to choose for that.  If I were you I would try to avoid the cigarette lighter types to connect anything. They make a bad connection, because of the spring loaded central connector tip. I never understood why a bad connector like that is used in expensive equipment like ours... Maybe economics?

Personally I use 3 power supplies, all of the switching type: 1 for the mount only, one for the camera's only and one for the rest like dew control, focusers and auxiliaries 

CIMG1014-1.JPG

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies. That's really helpful.

I actually have a couple of 20v 2A adaptors lying round the house. Would it be ok to use them, or would the 20v fry the motors or the synscan?

I hadn't really thought about dew control. Is it totally necessary to have this in place?

I would go for a 12 or 13v and 6A at least.   

Asked for some advice here and ended up buying some meanwell ps’s.   6 and 8A.   Members here gave good reviews and for the costs you won’t have to skip these.  Like €20,- for the 6A. 

with the 2.1 connector!!   The only reason to use a cigarette connector is the build in fuse i guess.  Other than that its a bad connection that cigarette lighter

Edited by Robindonne
  • Thanks 1

If you're running from the mains supply just get a 12V 36W (or more) AC / DC converter with a 2.1 mm x 5.5 mm centre positive connector. This is the one I use https://uk.farnell.com/mean-well/gst36b12-p1j/adaptor-ac-dc-12v-3a/dp/2815896?scope=partnumberlookahead&ost=GST36B12-P1J&searchref=searchlookahead&exaMfpn=true but cheaper ones are readily available. I use seperate converters for the dew heaters, USB supply etc.

A cigarette connector to 2.1 x 5.5 mm connector lead (like this one https://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/tm-12dc/car-cigar-plug-to-2-1mm-dc-lead/dp/PW00804?mckv=sOWS7N8N9_dm|pcrid|224645200689|kword||match||plid||slid||product|PW00804|pgrid|53876376704|ptaid|pla-944652878637|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-SHOPPING&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvPO9-qLW6wIV2-vtCh1J2grgEAQYAiABEgKrTfD_BwE) is probably only required if you intend to power the mount from a power tank.

7 hours ago, Jm1973 said:

Thanks for the replies. That's really helpful.

I actually have a couple of 20v 2A adaptors lying round the house. Would it be ok to use them, or would the 20v fry the motors or the synscan?

I hadn't really thought about dew control. Is it totally necessary to have this in place?

Please do NOT use those, they will fry your mount. Use 13Volts max

Dew control depends on where you are situated, you will find out if that is necessary soon enough...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

The fuse you used is too heavy and in the wrong place. The only function it has now would be to protect your battery against fast drain, which is not needed.
There should a fuse before every outlet, just big enough for the intended use. For example 3A fuse for USB; 2,5A fuse for the mount; 3A fuse for dew control. 
What will happen now if something is going wrong, is that your 20A fuse will not protect anything, for it will not blow in time to protect your equipment so your fuse will still live and your equipment will be fried... Just a warning...

1 hour ago, Waldemar said:

The fuse you used is too heavy and in the wrong place. The only function it has now would be to protect your battery against fast drain, which is not needed.
There should a fuse before every outlet, just big enough for the intended use. For example 3A fuse for USB; 2,5A fuse for the mount; 3A fuse for dew control. 
What will happen now if something is going wrong, is that your 20A fuse will not protect anything, for it will not blow in time to protect your equipment so your fuse will still live and your equipment will be fried... Just a warning...

Lower rated fuses for each circuit are a very good idea but I would keep the 20A fuse (as close to the battery terminal as possible) as a safety back up.

• Like 1

I just brought a mains 12v 3A adaptor if I remember correctly with a 2.1mm connector pin. It works well. I did try and power it with an 12v powertank which has those cigarette sockets (which I use with the AZ GTI mount) when I first got the EQ5 mount but it didn't seem to slew. Seems my powertank isn't delivering enough power now as it is a couple of years old hence the switch to mains supply. Not a big deal as I do most stargazing sessions from home and have external power points in the garage and shed.

Edited by rob_r

+1 for a relatively cheap and cheerful mains adapter from Amazon. Or scour your loft - this is perhaps the most common power supply, and I borrowed a second one from an old amplifier.

Also worth remembering to always use an RCD if you're using mains power outside.

7 hours ago, Surreydocker said:

Lower rated fuses for each circuit are a very good idea but I would keep the 20A fuse (as close to the battery terminal as possible) as a safety back up.

I have fuses for each supply if you look on the pictures the plastic box supplied by the main cable from the battery has individual fuses in there for each outlet and the 20amp is right before the battery. 

1 hour ago, wookie1965 said:

I have fuses for each supply if you look on the pictures the plastic box supplied by the main cable from the battery has individual fuses in there for each outlet and the 20amp is right before the battery. 

Your schematic tells a different story...

5 minutes ago, Waldemar said:

Your schematic tells a different story...

Someone on here sent that to me with a description of what I needed this was a quick drawing he sent me he did describe the neutral bar and the fuse box which I have done.

If you look at the schematic it shows the live cable going to a box with 5amp and 10amp fuses for the cigarette outlets and USB. It also shows the neutral going to a bus bar. 

Edited by wookie1965

10 hours ago, Waldemar said:

Please do NOT use those, they will fry your mount. Use 13Volts max

Dew control depends on where you are situated, you will find out if that is necessary soon enough...

Thanks. I'll see if I can find/buy a 12v jobby. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jm1973 said:

Will this one work? It doesn't specify whether it is positive inner or not. I was going to get this and one of the 8 way splitters.

Screenshot_20200907-221045_eBay.jpg

Yes that would work if your not going to use dew strips you can halve the amps I started with a 5 amp added the dew strips and found my mount wasnt accurate I narrowed it down to power so I upped it to a 8 amp I think been great ever since.