• M17 Omega Nebula - 80 Hours SHO, Complete, Released
  • IC 59 and IC 63 Ghosts of Cassiopeia - 80 Hours SHO, Complete, Released
  • DWB 111 Propellor Nebula - 80 Hours SHO, Complete, Released
  • M33 - LRGB Complete, Released
  • LBN 487 Iris Nebula - LRGB Complete, Released
  • SH2-155 Cave Nebula - 80 Hours SHO, Complete
  • IC434 Horsehead Nebula - LRGB 4 Pane Mosaic - Pending, In Progress
  • M81 and M82 Galaxies - LRGB+Ha - Complete, Released

Opening up for suggestions for our next target?

You can see the FOV details here: http://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/?fov[]=7500||35||1|1|0&messier=17

And bear in mind our location in Spain here: https://www.pixelskiesastro.com/

Ideally we want to be imaging above 30º and an object that will stay up a good chunk of the night so we can build through the data nice and quickly or, several objects we do each night which is what we did with M17 and IC59 recently.

Hmm... M33 would be a nice fit. Do it in HaLRGB for those of us who have less than dark skies? I know it's a bit of a chestnut, but it's lees easy than one might think and *does* need a dark sky to really pull out the faint stuff.

Note: My own skies *are* dark enough, but not all of us have mag 21.66 or better.

On 05/09/2020 at 20:56, carastro said:

Bat and Squid Sh2-129 and OU4.  The latter will need lost of Oiii which many of us can't get.

Carole  

You read my mind Carole - I did a test shot of this a few days ago and the FOV is a nice fit so I would like to try this - especially after seeing the recent amazing image of this object in the deep sky section!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2020 at 09:46, jimjam11 said:

Looking forward to m33!

Any reason why you have relatively little lum compared to rgb? I normally go 1:1 with lum = combined rgb not each channel being equal.

Oops - it's actually 360x 5min L subs that we've captured.... I've updated the post above.

So next we are going for NGC7023 / Iris Nebula in LRGB - not sure if it's worth trying to get any narrowband on this as well to blend in? Any thoughts?

Here is progress so far, single 5 min L sub:

image.thumb.png.d5bd3122a85c1ed434eb14f7b3b5a317.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I've been really imressend with the recent Crescent and M16 data, and have enjoyed having a go at it.

I think it would be really useful to a lot of people to release some LRGB data on popular targets such as M31,  M81/M82 and M45.

Maybe not even a competition, but there must be a lot of members who are not yet doing narrowband, to whom having some good LRGB data would be very welcome..

• 2 weeks later...

One of the values of this excellent project is giving us good data to practice our skills on. How about a mosaic? Just two panes would help us get into this skill. Not sure if they fit, but Heart or Rosette nebulas would be excellent.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2020 at 10:10, old_eyes said:

One of the values of this excellent project is giving us good data to practice our skills on. How about a mosaic? Just two panes would help us get into this skill. Not sure if they fit, but Heart or Rosette nebulas would be excellent.

Yeah, I agree, a mosaic would be a great chane ofr us all to improve our skills.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 10:10, old_eyes said:

Good idea 🙂

The weather in Spain (and everywhere!) has been rubbish the last couple of weeks so we've not made much progress on the current target but hopefully, the forecast looks better the rest of the week.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Spongey said:

Not a mosaic but IC410 makes for a good target at this time of year and is perfectly framed with the setup!

Alternatively / in addition, a 2x2 mosaic of NGC 2244 (the Rosette nebula) would fit nicely!

Another vote for IC410. Lovely target

11 hours ago, Spongey said:

Hi, are there updates to share about the progress of this project? :D 

Funny you should ask :D

I updated the progress list the other day, I have another set of data to release hopefully this week.

December was a bit of a wash out in terms of weather so things slowed down a fair bit plus, we've been extremely busy in the run up to Christmas and the SGL software upgrade etc..

We have some other developments to share about this project very soon as well!

• Like 1