NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Raspberry PI night sky software

Konkelo

On 14/11/2020 at 10:00, bokser01 said:

spacer.png

I'm adding a photo of 48 photos each per minute of exposure. Edited and composed in the astrophoto program. The result is fascinating :)

If this image is 48 x 60 sec exposures how have you managed to keep the static foreground and the stars sharp???

Edited by Skipper Billy

11 minutes ago, Tomatobro said:

Reading up on this software I think that you set the exposure at (say) 200 ms per Jpg and the number of exposures to stack in the time interval set.

I guess the wide angle lens would be very forgiving over 60 seconds.

Understood but if you stack on the stars then the static foreground would be blurred and if you stack on the foreground then the stars would be blurred unless i am missing something and being really thick !! 😉 

• Like 1

I have a Pi zero, a wide angle lens, a plastic dome so might give this a go. I will get a HD camera and ribbon cable from the Pi Hut.

I will post an image if it works out.

Pixel peeping leads me to think that the software stacks on the stars. The trees land roof line look a bit soft.

Edited by Tomatobro
viewed image

On 22. 11. 2020 at 15:37, Skipper Billy said:

Rozumím, ale pokud stohujete na hvězdy, statické popředí by bylo rozmazané a pokud byste stohovali na popředí, hvězdy by byly rozmazané, pokud mi něco chybí a je opravdu tlustý !! 😉 

Hello, guys! It is obvious that you have never worked with astroprograms, otherwise you would have surely noticed that some programs can "fix ground", thus the ground appearence is maintained and is not biased towards stars and vice versa

On 22/11/2020 at 14:37, Skipper Billy said:

Understood but if you stack on the stars then the static foreground would be blurred and if you stack on the foreground then the stars would be blurred unless i am missing something and being really thick !! 😉 

35 minutes ago, bokser01 said:

Hello, guys! It is obvious that you have never worked with astroprograms, otherwise you would have surely noticed that some programs can "fix ground", thus the ground appearence is maintained and is not biased towards stars and vice versa

I guess that response is aimed at me???

I was just asking what I thought was a perfectly reasonable question in a perfectly reasonable manner.

If you cant answer it in a reasonable way then please don't bother replying at all.

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/12/2020 at 16:54, Tomatobro said:

Is there any information on the pro version out there? When I try to download it goes to the PayPal payment page first so would like to know a bit more about the pro version before committing. Anyone help?

Hi!

In https://www.meteotuxpi.com theres information in faq

• What difference is between basic version of Meteotux PI and PRO version?

: Free version has limited max output image size to 2592x1952 pixels. See chart below.

: Options to remove logo and image flipping.

And there will be more options later  :)

Cheers!

Konkelo

• 2 weeks later...

In the end I used a Pi3 as the pi zero would not run the Meteotux pro software. The software works well. As far as I can tell when the image is mapped anything that is static remains static and anything that moves is mapped to its last position. I am taking 6 x 10 second exposures stacked after 60 seconds and saved.

With Any Desk on the pi I can log in and see the saved images, change the settings, stop and start and download the files . Nice one Jani

allsky2.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 31/12/2020 at 10:03, Tomatobro said:

In the end I used a Pi3 as the pi zero would not run the Meteotux pro software. The software works well. As far as I can tell when the image is mapped anything that is static remains static and anything that moves is mapped to its last position. I am taking 6 x 10 second exposures stacked after 60 seconds and saved.

With Any Desk on the pi I can log in and see the saved images, change the settings, stop and start and download the files . Nice one Jani

That is nice - which camera are you using?  HD Pi cam?  

I've setup a little Meteorcam using a Zero-W, a Zero Cam, Power bank and a sweetie tub.  Getting 2-3 days out of the power bank before recharge. 

What command settings and gain are you using?  Lack of clear nights mean experimenting with the settings is a little frustrating.    I've not gone pro yet as still evaluating (only managed to get it outside twice due to the damn cloud)

On the stock recomended nohup ./meteotux_pi -d 300 -e 6000 -g 4 & I've managed to catch 1 sat/meteor and some star trails.

2021-03-14--5-30am.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone off a clue as to why my pi stops recording images when I close remote ssh?

I tried last night with the command " nohup ./meteotux_pi -d 30 -e 1500 -g 9 &"  As soon as I exit the shell the recording stops.   Surely this should make it play away in the background?  I went back in with raspi-controller and left it running in the background on my phone.  It killed itself on my phone around 2am and the recordings on the pi stopped again. 

First night I tried this the pi ran all night with no ssh so not sure why it has suddenly started cutting off.   Am I missing something? 

1 hour ago, TerraC said:

Sounds like when the ssh session is terminating, it's also terminating the processes.

Have a look at "screen" to maintain an active task even if you're logged out of the ssh.  Here's the relevant page on the GNU website and here's a little cheatsheet with how to do things (basics would be start session/detach/attach).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TerraC said:

Anyone off a clue as to why my pi stops recording images when I close remote ssh?

I tried last night with the command " nohup ./meteotux_pi -d 30 -e 1500 -g 9 &"  As soon as I exit the shell the recording stops.   Surely this should make it play away in the background?  I went back in with raspi-controller and left it running in the background on my phone.  It killed itself on my phone around 2am and the recordings on the pi stopped again. 

First night I tried this the pi ran all night with no ssh so not sure why it has suddenly started cutting off.   Am I missing something? 

If you run that command in a shell within the GUI (e.g. through VNC) and then quit VNC, the process will continue to run.

However as soon as you close your remote ssh session, whatever was opened in that session would be terminated immediately. Like BCN_Sean has suggested, use "screen" for that.

Here are the quick commands for this to save you some time:

To start a new shell in a "screen":

screen -A -m -S name_of_the_screen_session

To detach from the screen once you've started your imaging process:

Ctrl + A, then D

To re-attach to the screen session in the background:

screen -r name_of_the_screen_session

To terminate the current screen session while attached:

exit or Ctrl + D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

This has some promise but I suspect to earn the 30 euros I'd have to see that it can be run as a daemon and some sort of web front end, I might give the free version a test ride..

I wonder if it can be combined into @Mognet excellent front end all-sky camera?  

• 1 year later...

Hi!

Just a little update here. If you use Raspberry Pi OS  (bullseye) and try to run Meteotux PIyou will get error Error: Camera maximum exposure time is 0 ms

To fix this you need to enable Legacy Camera support. Use sudo raspi-config select Interface Options and enable Legacy Camera support and after reboot Meteotux PI will run ok.

Cheers!

Edited by Konkelo