NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SH2-115

Kinch

SH2-115. 8 hours Ha + 4.5 hours each SII & OIII = total 17 hours. (FSQ130 & FLI ML16200)

I could have and perhaps should have given this a lot more time......but some things just not coming together for me ast the moment to make that happen. 

Final SH2-115 (1386 x 924).jpg

• Like 27

Really love the colours again. I did an image search of Sh2-115 on Google just to see what was there and your image is without a doubt better than anything that comes up, despite your misgivings about total imaging time. Inspiring image. Thanks for sharing.

Adrian

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

................your image is without a doubt better than anything that comes up, despite your misgivings about total imaging time. Inspiring image

Thanks very much Adrian. In fact when I went searching myself, I knew that I could 'get away' with what I had done , although I had greater expectations. In fact, because the weather was not suitable last night - instead of getting more data, I started playing with what I already had. The result you see above came at 3 a.m. this morning....after playing with it for nearly 4 hours . 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, morimarty said:

Beautiful Image Brendan I would love that one in my locker. I think 17 hours is about right. After 4 hours processing go and make yourself a nice cup of tea then it all comes together.😀

Thanks Martyn. When I actually did finish the processing of this one it was a case of crewling off to bed.....but then I am well used to doing that in the 'wee hours' of the morning. 😉

7 minutes ago, fireballxl5 said:

Great image and I really like the colours as well. Good to see your picture now as this is my current imaging project, started mid June but only 4 hours Ha / 1 hour OIII so far.  

I found it quite a difficult area to do (and Rodd told me similar on another forum). Not only are there are so many tiny stars here but also the SII and OIII are very weak. So, whenever you get finished with getting the data I wish you the very best when it comes to processing it.....it will pass the time for and that's for sure 😂

• Thanks 1

I recently imaged this area, and also found it extremely difficult to process.  I got a result in the end but it was after a lot of processing techniques to force out the data and colour, though I didn't do as many hours as yourself.

Very good result  of a difficult target.  You have a lot more fine detail in Sh-115 than I managed.  

Carole 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, carastro said:

I recently imaged this area, and also found it extremely difficult to process.

Hi Carole....I just don't really know why it should be so difficult but that is 3 of us now saying that (including Rodd as I mentioned earlier). The Ha signal is not too bad and that is where the detail lies. You can see my full FoV in Ha on my website (if intereseted) @ https://www.kinchastro.com/sh2-115.html

Brendan.

Edited by Kinch

1 hour ago, astro mick said:

I think this is up there with the best,an amazing and very well processed image.

Love it.

Mick.

Thanks Mick.....I guess, in the end,  it was worthwhile staying up until 3 a.m. processing this 😀

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, x6gas said:

Another lovely image Brendan - excellent stuff.

Thanks again.......the feedback on this image has been way above what I expected. As stated before - it appears to be a hard area to image but I am very happy too at how it turned out.

28 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

Lovely moody image Brendan. I very much like your understated style.

Thanks Richard - thanks for the comment re the 'understated style'. I show them as I see them 🤣 🤓

(By the way - like you - I found out after the fact re AAPOD2 for my previous image; Abell 85)

25 minutes ago, Kinch said:

Thanks Richard - thanks for the comment re the 'understated style'. I show them as I see them 🤣 🤓

(By the way - like you - I found out after the fact re AAPOD2 for my previous image; Abell 85)

Nice one, well deserved. Strange that you don't get a notification.

I got another, although the image details are a little dodgy.😂

https://www.aapod2.com/blog/ldn67

6 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

I got another

Well done again you 👏......I missed the name on that one when looking over the archive yesterday. 🙄

Edited by Kinch

Whilst working on my last image (SH2-115) I really struggled with background noise in the subs. This is not the first time and in truth I was getting frustrated with using this camera. After some other tests and adjustments to how I was processing the data - last night I decided to shoot a whole new set of Dark Calibration Frames. On testing this morning - I find this is where the problem lay - the original Darks. In any case, I think I have solved a long running problem that was really annoying me and degrading the data that I was working with. Here.....just for fun....I show you a full Ha frame that I was testing on. (There is a high res version of this on my website....where, by the way, I have updated the colour images using the new Darks).

Ha  (1114 x 888).jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

how old were the previous darks ?

The previous darks were from the end of May this year. Two things are different now: in May I only took 15 darks whereas last night I took 25. The15 should really have been enough (I think) BUT I also suspect that the TEC working harder on these warm nights (25°C) is having an effect on the system - causing noise in the subs. (I am imaging at -30° C on the CCD). In truth I am not enough of an expert to tell but it was, for sure, one of the things that came to mind while I was pulling my hair out over this. Whether the previous ones were otherwise bad or not - I now appear to be OK with this new set. 

• Like 1