Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IKO M16 - Processing Competition

Grant

Loving the free (and high quality data).

I initially processed this a couple of times in typical HOO and SHO:

M16_SHO.thumb.jpg.ef0921152319112dc97456943873f5ad.jpg

M16_HOO.thumb.jpg.18fa1e8da0fb679f97bba8bfcd0170c3.jpg

I then blended these two images in PixelMath to produce a composite:

M16_IKI_HOO_SHO.thumb.jpg.5fa5019be51369e914b01f859bed7330.jpg

Where I thought this became interesting was animating the three blends together; it helps to highlight different structures. The SHO version clearly shows better structure separation?

M16_HOO_Crop-ANIMATION.gif.7a83451fd1c74c0a5622f7ff0e425f93.gif

• Like 7

This is an iconic object for me as the Hubble Eagle was the picture that got me started into astrophotography.

I haven't processed anything at all in ages so back to remembering how to make a hubble pic from channels ! Forgot to add a luminance as well but I'll have another go at some point. Great data to have available. This is just a quick process with the TIFFs, once I liberate the FITS properly I'll process it again. All done in PS - RGB from TIFFS, levels,curves, star colour fix (less magenta), star size reduction, flatten then selective colour. Sharpened as a layer and blended in. Cropped and flipped then rotated.

5785899_m16test2.thumb.png.26ac489c2ab7c921327053e3a02b854b.png

• Like 5

It's not intended to win any awards, but I wanted to just say how pleasurable it is to play with such high quality data.

Very little processing done really, all in PixInsight.  I combined all three channels into a single super luminance image, and used that as the basis for deconvolution (taking out the stars using a starmask created by StarNet++ and then putting the original stars back in using pixelmath).  I played with all sorts of noise reduction until I realised that there just isn't any noise to reduce!  I then stretched each channel to the same median value and combined them as SHO for colour and the deconned super being used as luminance.  From there it was just cropping to my chosen angle and FoV and some balancing of the colours to taste.  An absolute pleasure to play with, and thank you for providing the data.

EAGLE.thumb.png.0ed8a19b1b5ecc0ec1a2987a1c84dc36.png

Edited by szymon
wrong version of image uploaded!
  • Like 5

Is three entries too many? This is a video, so I'm not sure it counts anyway, but I had fun making it and hopefully it might interest a few people.

Got talking about the old chestnut of imaging v observing and then what you can see with different scopes and cameras and thought I'd try to simulate it with this data.

• Like 4

Thank you everybody - this has been a fantastic experience for me personally to follow along with so I really hope we do more of these in future - we will release the next chunk of data in 2-3 weeks time with another live workshop 🙂

I'm going to lock this thread now to stop any more entries.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Grant locked this topic