NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stunning late afternoon seeing

Stu

I’ve had a pretty busy day today, but managed to pop the scope out at about 5pm and was delighted to see that the seeing was incredible, with granulation popping out amazingly clearly. At x200 I could see the granulation cells themselves opening up, with intricate patterns and swirls wherever I looked. Looking for a period of ten to fifteen minutes allowed me to see changes in the patterns as the granulation cells formed and disappeared. Amazing stuff.

I could see an extensive patch of faculae which I believe is AR2769, then the split umbra of 2670. There is then a lovely AR towards the opposite limb which seems unclassified currently unless I’m mistaken (I’ve lost track of where we’re are with latest activity until today). This has about seven spots of various sizes, some brighter areas and was surrounded by swirling granulation. Then there is a further patch of faculae on the limb.

Well worth grabbing a look if you get the chance, perhaps your seeing will be good too!

Pics of the scope in action, plus screen grabs from my app to show the activity. Scope views x100 better than these though 👍👍 

73F63986-30BB-42F6-9934-6E288F9E8DEC.jpeg

635D72AB-BEF4-400E-A067-D0CD7C364B6C.jpeg

BBDAFBDE-8511-4DB8-BE7F-6523F25B9433.png

969CA2E8-BA93-4984-8B2F-0BF0005B4951.png

E0E48EB2-7F63-420A-938F-1951B161F59A.png

• Like 9

Hello. I’m trying a bit of the same with my 102frac and Baader film filter. 
Sky a bit mushy but steady ness is there. 2769 looking a bit Schroters valleyesque ?? 
Similar views @Stu  Phew - pass the Solero 

John 

C521FAE8-5C91-4F9F-B6E3-7C61031E8AA0.jpeg

Edited by Telescope40
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

Sky a bit mushy but steady ness is there. 2769 looking a bit Schroters valleyesque ?? 

John 

John, That observer chair has a design new to me. How do you change the height?

41 minutes ago, Dippy said:

John, That observer chair has a design new to me. How do you change the height?

Got one myself, so only need to pull out the seat in its slot, then slide it into a new slot at what height you require. Works pretty good. Very easy to change around.

2 hours ago, Telescope40 said:

John 

John, you should look into a Herschel wedge for your scope, it will give you better views of granulation and generally more contrast and detail. The views I was getting today were wonderful, not often that the seeing is that good.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

John, you should look into a Herschel wedge for your scope, it will give you better views of granulation and generally more contrast and detail. The views I was getting today were wonderful, not often that the seeing is that good.

I agree. Even though I don't do a lot of solar observing, even I found a noticeable step up when I moved from a Baader film filter (Kendrick) to the Lunt Herschel Wedge.

Cloud and haze this aft so no white light solar for me. ☁️

The Baader film is very good and it’s not until you use a wedge that you realise it’s limitations. Well worth the extra cost for the wedge.👍🏻

Stu.    Have you had a chance to try the ScopeTech with a wedge yet?

Edited by johninderby

1 hour ago, Knighty2112 said:

Got one myself, so only need to pull out the seat in its slot, then slide it into a new slot at what height you require. Works pretty good. Very easy to change around.

That is cheaper than the Skywatcher one I bought used! It is also more elegant and probably not as out of place when in a corner of living room.

Thought today would be a write off in solar terms with the humidity and expected storms, yet in ha too the seeing was extremely good - the best for at least 2-3 weeks, and I’ve been observing every day. Wish I’d got the Coolwedge out now too after your report Stu.

1 hour ago, Telescope40 said:

As @Knighty2112 said @Dippy

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/geoptik-nadira-astronomy-observing-chair.html

A great bit of kit. Getting comfy is nearly as important as aperture. Been a great purchase IMHO 

John 

It is much better priced than my second hand skywatcher chair and looks more attractive. I feel the need for a kind of “double deck” arm rest with holes to place the eyepieces too! I always find it more comfy to have eyepieces out of the way of my hand and safely secured. It is especially a problem with my Delos and Pentax eyepieces which have quite narrow bases and wide tops, ready to fall on slightest movement of my arm.

44 minutes ago, Stu said:

36 minutes ago, John said:

I agree. Even though I don't do a lot of solar observing, even I found a noticeable step up when I moved from a Baader film filter (Kendrick) to the Lunt Herschel Wedge.

Hello  @Stuand @John  A wedge is  on my radar but I’ve hung back as gear for night viewing wins out and with Sol being rather on the quiet side, for now. 
Fancy a Baader brand one as well, so don’t come cheap. 
I’ll sort in due course. 
Thank you 

John 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dippy said:

That is cheaper than the Skywatcher one I bought used! It is also more elegant and probably not as out of place when in a corner of living room.

@Dippy

In the corner of the living room !!  I had a chuckle at that. No chance if that with me as per SWMBO. 
All my Astro kit resides quite comfortably in the garage.  I’m happy with that.  The chair, as said, has really “upgraded” my viewing experience. 
John 

Edited by Telescope40

47 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello  @Stuand @John  A wedge is  on my radar but I’ve hung back as gear for night viewing wins out and with Sol being rather on the quiet side, for now. 
Fancy a Baader brand one as well, so don’t come cheap. 
I’ll sort in due course. 
Thank you 

John 

Sun seems to be waking a little more more now, so worth considering. I do think the Baader gives more detail than the lint; in fact I’ve got both currently so must do a side by side comparison.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Thought today would be a write off in solar terms with the humidity and expected storms, yet in ha too the seeing was extremely good - the best for at least 2-3 weeks, and I’ve been observing every day. Wish I’d got the Coolwedge out now too after your report Stu.

I thought it would be rubbish too, given the heat, humidity and with the sun getting lower. It was one of those days when it seemed you could chuck whatever power you wanted at the sun and still see more! I love it when those granulation cells open up so you see them as cells with walls and a clear centre.

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Stu.    Have you had a chance to try the ScopeTech with a wedge yet?

I have John, but I’m somewhat limited in eyepieces to give me enough power to give a decent view. My BGOs won’t come to focus on it, the 24mm Panoptic is too low power really, although views are nice. Nag zoom is a bit too high.

I don’t think FLO would appreciate me cutting a bit off the end!! 🤣

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

But now ypu know why my ScopeTech got the snip. ✂️

Found the Nirvana eyepieces just able to focus before shortening.

Yep, I do understand. I guess these scopes are more designed for straight through observing, japanese style so have longer OTAs than may be necessary.

9 minutes ago, johninderby said:

But now ypu know why my ScopeTech got the snip. ✂️

Found the Nirvana eyepieces just able to focus before shortening.

How much did you remove? Any advice on the best way to do it?

Just got mine and want to use a Herschel wedge with it.

Regards Andrew 

26 minutes ago, andrew s said:

How much did you remove? Any advice on the best way to do it?

Just got mine and want to use a Herschel wedge with it.

Regards Andrew 

Took 20mm off. Used masking tape to mark off the amount of the cut then used a junior hacksaw to cut slowly around the tube. Then wrapped a piece of paper around the tube held together with tape to to make a collar which could then be used to show how square the tube had been cut. Then a bit of fiddly sanding to square up the cut. Then I enlarged the holes in the flange by a mm to allow a bit of adjustent to collimate using a laser. Printed out a target to fit the objective.

Of course you might not have to enlarge the holes in the flange if collimation is OK as is.

E9936459-CBD6-4D28-B91A-0EA00FA5DAA2.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Looking to get another scope for my wedge.

My WO132 works fine as it is designed to be used with bino viewers, but at the present it has the CCD on it and I don't really fancy fiddling about swaping over.

Anybody got a clue on a scope of around 120  -130 mm that would do the job without going under the knife?

12 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Took 20mm off. Used masking tape to mark off the amount of the cut then used a junior hacksaw to cut slowly around the tube. Then wrapped a piece of paper around the tube held together with tape to to make a collar which could then be used to show how square the tube had been cut. Then a bit of fiddly sanding to square up the cut. Then I enlarged the holes in the flange by a mm to allow a bit of adjustent to collimate using a laser. Printed out a taret to fot the objective.

Thanks,  that is the process I had in mind.  Regards Andrew 

PS just seen a YouTube clip where they used a jubilee clip to cut against to keep it square. Might try that if I can get one big enough.

Edited by andrew s
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ibbo! said:

Looking to get another scope for my wedge.

My WO132 works fine as it is designed to be used with bino viewers, but at the present it has the CCD on it and I don't really fancy fiddling about swaping over.

Anybody got a clue on a scope of around 120  -130 mm that would do the job without going under the knife?

Think this would work well and has a great focuser.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bresser-telescopes/bresser-messier-ar-127l-1200-refractor-ota.html