Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

pentax xw v:s tv delite

faulksy

hi everyone. ordered last week a pentax xw from flo of course for my 20" dob(no stock yet)

so im after a 5mm, i had a xw in 5mm but sold it to raise funds so i know it was a brilliant ep

but i keep hearing so much about the delites. ok so i loose 10* afov but will the views be better or should i stick to my order with the pentax?

what do you think

thanks

mike

Can't really go wrong with either. Pentax has wider AFOV, is less bad value for money. Delite has possibly better edge correction in fast scopes and flat field plane which may be a plus depending on what coma corrector you're using, if any, at this high magnification. 

I like the Delites very much, especially the lockable eye guard, but in this case I'd take all the AFOV I could get just because it's a dob at high magnification. Although I guess it depends how much of that field is still good at F/4......John is probably the oracle on this one. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, rl said:

Can't really go wrong with either. Pentax has wider AFOV, is less bad value for money. Delite has possibly better edge correction in fast scopes and flat field plane which may be a plus depending on what coma corrector you're using, if any, at this high magnification. 

I like the Delites very much, especially the lockable eye guard, but in this case I'd take all the AFOV I could get just because it's a dob at high magnification. Although I guess it depends how much of that field is still good at F/4......John is probably the oracle on this one. 

i use sips coma correction. nice to hear lots of positive views though (pardon the pun)

Just had to look that one up. That's a big boy's big budget coma corrector. It's almost insulting it to stick with 62 degrees...Is it worth looking at a Delos or Ethos?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, faulksy said:

hi everyone. ordered last week a pentax xw from flo of course for my 20" dob(no stock yet)

so im after a 5mm, i had a xw in 5mm but sold it to raise funds so i know it was a brilliant ep

but i keep hearing so much about the delites. ok so i loose 10* afov but will the views be better or should i stick to my order with the pentax?

what do you think

thanks

mike

It depends on the target you wish to observe, planetary or wide angle. Let assume the wide angle low magnification eyepiece. With a non-tracking Dobsonian you need to nudge the telescope  more to keep the target in view if you go for narrower field. I would recommend a 100 degree eyepiece like APM HDC 20mm which almost cost the same as a Pentax XW. You can keep the target in view for about 2 minutes with this.  Or if you don’t want that much field of view, probably a Baader Morpheus 17.5mm 76 degrees is nice which would be about £60 cheaper and has excellent optics. Although it is very light weight which is essential for a Dobsonian to balance, it is weather sealed with neutral gas and can be used with a binoviewer due to its light weight. A Televue Delos is more than £300 new and has 72 degrees field of view. I have heard TeleVue  Ethos 21mm on some targets gives almost a three dimensional effect, thanks to its exotic glass material and coating, although I have not tested it yet myself. It will cost you about 2 Morpheus eyepieces plus a Maxbright II binoviewer.

Edited by Dippy
  • Like 1

Hi Mike :smiley:

I've not used a DeLite so I can't comment on those from practical experience. They are reputed to be a tiny bit better performers than the Delos so they might have a very slight edge on the XW's in terms of optical performance as well.

I'm very happy with the 5mm and 3.5mm XW's in my F/5.3 12 inch dob but I don't use a coma corrector. I did own the 4.7 and 3.7 Ethos SX's for a while but eventually found that the XW's were delivering perhaps slightly better performance in terms of light scatter so I, rather reluctantly, let the Ethos SX's go.

I tend to go for the widest field that I can when using the dob though, for the reasons that @rl mentions.

I suspect you would be very happy with the optical performance of either the XW or the DeLite so the AFoV difference is the deciding factor. Would you miss 8 degrees ?.

• Like 1

I've owned and used both. Both very nice. I find it difficult to rate one's performance over the other's; the experience differed mostly in ergonomics (apart from the eye relief, which is luxurious on both). The XW is heftier, with a wider eye lens (lovely!) and a premium feel. The DeLite is significantly lighter but built just as well; in use, the view somehow seems wider than expected. If I had to call it, and weight was no issue, I'd go for the XW's extra FOV and extra posh feel. :happy11:

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Dippy said:

It depends on the target you wish to observe, planetary or wide angle. Let assume the wide angle low magnification eyepiece. With a non-tracking Dobsonian you need to nudge the telescope  more to keep the target in view if you go for narrower field. I would recommend a 100 degree eyepiece like APM HDC 20mm which almost cost the same as a Pentax XW. You can keep the target in view for about 2 minutes with this.  Or if you don’t want that much field of view, probably a Baader Morpheus 17.5mm 76 degrees is nice which would be about £60 cheaper and has excellent optics. Although it is very light weight which is essential for a Dobsonian to balance, it is weather sealed with neutral gas and can be used with a binoviewer due to its light weight. A Televue Delos is more than £300 new and has 72 degrees field of view. I have heard TeleVue  Ethos 21mm on some targets gives almost a three dimensional effect, thanks to its exotic glass material and coating, although I have not tested it yet myself. It will cost you about 2 Morpheus eyepieces plus a Maxbright II binoviewer.

To clarify your post: the 20mm APM XWA eyepiece is sealed.  The 17.5mm Baader Morpheus is not.

Edited by Don Pensack

And to keep it on track to the OP question on a 5mm eyepiece might help too.

I can answer from a 7mm DeLite And XW views, on a manual dob, both great, but the extra 8 degrees notices,

as did the nicer eyecup design and lesser undercut on the Pentax, so XW and wait would be my 2p worth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dippy said:

i take it you didnt read my signature 😀

2 hours ago, John said:

Hi Mike :smiley:

I've not used a DeLite so I can't comment on those from practical experience. They are reputed to be a tiny bit better performers than the Delos so they might have a very slight edge on the XW's in terms of optical performance as well.

I'm very happy with the 5mm and 3.5mm XW's in my F/5.3 12 inch dob but I don't use a coma corrector. I did own the 4.7 and 3.7 Ethos SX's for a while but eventually found that the XW's were delivering perhaps slightly better performance in terms of light scatter so I, rather reluctantly, let the Ethos SX's go.

I tend to go for the widest field that I can when using the dob though, for the reasons that @rl mentions.

I suspect you would be very happy with the optical performance of either the XW or the DeLite so the AFoV difference is the deciding factor. Would you miss 8 degrees ?.

hi john. i did have the 5mm xw but have heard lots about the delite. looked through the 4.7 ethos and like you was good but not ortho quality. quite tempted with the delite which is in stock. but like you say. slight lack in fov.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Alan White said:

And to keep it on track to the OP question on a 5mm eyepiece might help too.

I can answer from a 7mm DeLite And XW views, on a manual dob, both great, but the extra 8 degrees notices,

as did the nicer eyecup design and lesser undercut on the Pentax, so XW and wait would be my 2p worth.

i hate waiting, would never make a doctor . i have no patience 😀

grant from here will get back to me tomorrow on the xw i will decide then

thanks all

• Like 2

4 hours ago, faulksy said:

i hate waiting, would never make a doctor . i have no patience 😀

grant from here will get back to me tomorrow on the xw i will decide then

thanks all

I had similar experience. Over the past five months I ordered several high value items from First Light Optics, which they did not have them in stock but their web site was not telling it and their emails were asking me to wait indefinitely. So I had to ask them to cancel and refund as it was just a waste of time. I ordered the same items  from Rother Valley Optics and they always first checked their stock before taking my money and then delivered the items  next day or two (if it was weekend). I yet don’t comprehend why there was such a difference as both are in England and use the same UK importers/distributors like OVL, David Hinds, etc.

Edited by Dippy

Ouch!

@Dippy I would very much like to investigate and respond. Please say here what were the high value items you ordered then cancelled? 🙂 

I ask because I am confident no other UK astronomy retailer is carrying more stock than FLO (FLO is the only UK astronomy retailer with a warehouse and the only one that has employed additional staff to manage this perfect storm). There will occasionally be times when a competitor has something when we don't, but that is rare. 

Steve 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, FLO said:

Ouch!

@Dippy I would very much like to investigate and respond. Please say here what were the high value items you ordered then cancelled please? 🙂 

I ask because I am confident no other UK astronomy retailer is carrying more stock than FLO (FLO is the only UK astronomy retailer with a warehouse and the only one that has employed additional staff to manage this perfect storm). There will occasionally be times when a competitor has something when we don't, but that is rare. 

Steve 

Having ordered a fair number of items (high and low value, from scopes to bolts) over the last 6 months from @FLO, I've always found their stock and delivery lead time indications to be spot on, delivery times very quick, plus response to customer support queries is excellent too.

I did order one item (iOptron Tri Pier) from Rother Valley Optics, back in March, as FLO indicated it was out of stock and had a long lead time. Rother Valley Optics were also very helpful, told me they had one in stock (a demonstrator unit, with a small discount too) and dispatched it very quickly.

I think it's fair to say they are both solid and reliable suppliers 👍

Gary

Edited by HollyHound
  • Thanks 1

Can only go on my own experience but have found FLOs stock level indicators to be spot on and things are delivered within a day or two if shown as in stock.

Have occasionaly dealt with RVO and found them also to be a good reputable company. 

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

As to the OP question... I have DeLites (13 and 18.2mm) and a newly acquired XW 40mm, all of which are superb eyepieces. I do agree that the view through the XW feels more "relaxed" and I also love the eyecup design and comfort, but as my focal lengths are so wildly varied, it would be unfair to compare them directly on performance, so the other comments above are likely a bit more helpful on a direct comparison 👍

• Like 1

Should of said. This thread is nothing to do with retailer bashing. Flo has always been excellent. I placed the order for the pentax without looking at stock levels. Grant emediatelly responded and said non in stock. So could cancel or hold on. He also said he would find a eta which he did. He even emailed me this morning to say my pentax is in stock now. So I said send it 😁

Should have it tomorrow 

Thanks flo 

By the way, stuck to my guns and recommendations and getting xw 5mm 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, FLO said:

Ouch!

@Dippy I would very much like to investigate and respond. Please say here what were the high value items you ordered then cancelled? 🙂 

@Dippy ? 🙂

I like to think I would notice if someone ordered then cancelled a number of high value items but these are extraordinary times so perhaps I missed something. 

Steve 

• Like 5