Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lightweight az mount choices.

Shaun_Astro

I'm looking for a lightweight, az mount for my small refractors that I can carry to a darker site. Im looking at the Bresser nano and sw pronto predominantly. Does anyone have experience of the two? There seems to be few first hand accounts of either. 

I like the slow motion controls and photographic type tripod of the pronto, I could get a gti head for it at a later date. But I'm put off by the weight of the telescope being above the center of rotation, I know it can cause balance issues. 

BTW will be using from 70/450 to 70/900 on it. Both under 2.5kg.

Thanks. 

Edited by Shaun_Astro
  • Like 1

I used to have a mount similar to the SkyWatcher Pronto and like you I was put off by the telescope mounting point/plate/saddle above the centre of rotation and  after a few moths I sold it/gave it away. 

Have you considered the Tele-Optic Mini Giro GR-2? - (mount weight: 1.9kgs / max. payload: 2.5kgs unbalanced / 4kgs per side/ balanced) - so you can mount your 'scopes side-by-side if you wish - should fit any camera/video tripod with 3/8" thread mounting point.

I have its bigger sibling... the Tele-Optic Giro GR-DX ll... (it's the one on the right - the other is the AOK-AYO) and recently acquired Universal Astronomics DwarfStar (not shown); but shown elsewhere on SGL - all can be fitted to my Manfrotto PROB tripod. 

IMG_0580.thumb.JPG.fc6f227bf7e974dd59c6c96ea3f25fe2.JPG

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Philip R said:

Have you considered the Tele-Optic Mini Giro GR-2? - (mount weight: 1.9kgs / max. payload: 2.5kgs unbalanced / 4kgs per side/ balanced) - so you can mount your 'scopes side-by-side if you wish - should fit any camera/video tripod with 3/8" thread mounting point.

I have one of these and it's a great little compact mount.

Does anyone have any experience of one of these Omegon AZ-Baby mounts, it looks like a really nice compact AZ Mount.

https://www.omegon.eu/alt-azimuth-without-goto/omegon-mount-az-baby/p,49753

It looks like a mount from a different manufacturer but I can't remember which.

There was one on ABS recently and I was very tempted to give it a punt, but refrained as I have too many mounts sitting around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Go ahead. You know you want to. Then we can read your review. 😁😁😁

Order  placed. I've been looking for a travel mount for my ed 80 along with the solar quest. Will let ya'll know what it's like. As aesthetics go looks great.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

These are nice, but they are £200+ without tripod, and with tripod wil weigh about 6kg, which is 50% more than the pronto or nano and double the price. I was hoping to walk for a while with that and the telescope and I'm a cheapskate. 

The omegon az baby looks good, but again with buying a tripod will be £300 nearly. Could just make a small copper pipe mount I guess. 

The Bresser nano looks like a mint az4 which I like. I guess it probably will be OK for lower mags only. 

Edited by Shaun_Astro

9 minutes ago, Shaun_Astro said:

These are nice, but they are £200+ without tripod, and with tripod wil weigh about 6kg, which is 50% more than the pronto or nano and double the price. I was hoping to walk for a while with that and the telescope and I'm a cheapskate. 

The omegon az baby looks good, but again with buying a tripod will be £300 nearly. Could just make a small copper pipe mount I guess. 

The Bresser nano looks like a mint az4 which I like. I guess it probably will be OK for lower mags only. 

Omegon AZ Baby for sale here (not mine !):

https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=163986

A good photo tripod would do fine.

I used to use a Dwarfstar with my TV ranger. Lightest of all I believe and pretty strong:

r70dstar01.JPG

• Like 3

So I've ordered the 365 Hercules mount. Now to think about the tripod. Initially it will ride on my EQ5 steel with 3/8 photo adapter, which it will share with the solar quest. I do have the light weight tripod that came with the SW but find it not very stable with legs extended. As the whole purpose of this exercise is weight reduction for travel in the camper van what recommendations do you guys have.  When travelling it will be with the Ed 80 and also the solar quest. 

P. S apologies to the OP for the hijack 

Steve

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Just got the Berlebach  Report. tripod and am surprised how stable it is for such a light tripod.

Can carry the whole setup outside with one hand. 👍🏻

6A62AB4C-5506-434A-A89B-87CB3A3BD599.jpeg

That’s a handy looking stool John, does the seat swivel up and down? I have been looking for one but they all seem to have ratchet adjuster.