Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stacked Comet Neowise - 200mm 6D

This is (so far) my best attempt at the comet taken last night. Sky was hazy and not really very dark (@ 1am - 2am). It's 69x 20 second exposures (800iso) with Canon 6d and 200 2.8 lens. Stacked in Pixinsight with CometAlignment and then stars added back in Photoshop.  Not used to working with DSLR images ... seems much harder

comet-neowise-v2.thumb.jpg.a6de13aa02778229d225c4335bd3c268.jpg

And this is comet through the arches of the Crimple Viaduct 

_A7R4443-crimple-viaduct-comet-neowise.thumb.jpg.8be73023a4915133c3a7e45bc4e0e5b9.jpg

A few more with viaduct on my website if anyone is interested.
https://www.tristancampbell.co.uk/blog/2020/7/comet-neowise-in-the-crimple-valley

Edited by AbsolutelyN
  • Like 24

Very nice, so it fills the frame with a 200mm lens, or did you crop?

I have a 70-200/2.8L IS  and a 400mm/5.6L lenses, and I would like to make an attempt at it, but the lack of a mount and the light pollution here in Athens are a major impediment...

N.F.

16 minutes ago, nfotis said:

Very nice, so it fills the frame with a 200mm lens, or did you crop?

I have a 70-200/2.8L IS  and a 400mm/5.6L lenses, and I would like to make an attempt at it, but the lack of a mount and the light pollution here in Athens are a major impediment...

N.F.

It has a very slight crop but not much, it pretty much fills a 200mm frame on full frame. This is taken in Bortle 5 skies and it never really gets properly dark here.  You can use short exposures to avoid star trailing to some extent - this is a stack of 4 second exposures but it was on a badly aligned tracker. Experiment and find what focal length you can get away with. 

comet-neowise.jpg?width=1800

Edited by AbsolutelyN
  • Like 2