Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Light-tight Electronic Filter Wheels

TerryMcK

I read somewhere that some EFWs are better than others at being light-tight. What experiences have people had with the equipment currently on offer especially when shooting darks in daylight hours?

If you have any recommendations for instance the ZWO 5 being more light-tight than the ZWO 8 for instance that would be good.

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

I have an original Atik EFW that leaked light, an Atik EFW2 that is fine, there is now an Atik EFW3 but had no experience of it.

Dave

I have the Atik EFW2 and the Atik EFW3, and would never consider darks unless at night, as I use a reflector and light gets in the bottom anyway.  For normal purposes the Atik dont leak light.

I'm not so sure that anything with cabling apertures can be classed as light tight.  I did a short video here showing the issues with light leak even on a fully screwed SX arrangement.

I have the EFW2 and 3 also, like Adam, and I'm not certain I would suggest any of them as (daytime) light tight, albeit for night time imaging they are absolutely fine.

Edited by RayD
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TerryMcK said:

shooting darks in daylight hours?

I have previously owned a 5 position ZWO-EFW and now own an 8 position ZWO-EFW and they seem pretty light tight to me.

Having said that I have always followed advice given by others on this forum and removed the camera, fitted the end cap/cover and even covered the end in tinfoil and placed it sensor down on a (ceramic) floor - in the dark! - when taking darks. I only shoot darks once (maybe twice) a year so no great hardship but understand your setup may make that option difficult.

Adrian

3 hours ago, johnoelliott said:

I have the ASI 5 position EFW and usually run my darkflats in the morning with the sun shining on it with no light problems.

Is that the ZWO mini 5 position?

Yes they both look great Mark. I'm after replacing my manual filter wheel and will probably replace with a 5 position EFW as I never do any broad band (apart from the OSC with LP filters) due to light pollution here. Also looking at going 3.5nm with the new Antlia narrowband 31mm filters that 365 have. Heard some good reports for these. I can't justify Astrodon or Chroma due to their high price and these new Antlia's look promising.

The UM36T or similar is looking good.

I've just got to get my 1600MM back from being lent out. Covid has stopped me getting it back.

Edited by TerryMcK
  • Like 1