SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

AMD Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5

Bit of a techy question All. Just about to buy a new laptop. AMD Processor looks to be better for Gamers ie graphics processing.  Would this principal apply to processing the complex stacking techniques we use to process our beautiful images?

Any steer opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Jarvo

1 hour ago, Jarvo said:

Bit of a techy question All. Just about to buy a new laptop. AMD Processor looks to be better for Gamers ie graphics processing.  Would this principal apply to processing the complex stacking techniques we use to process our beautiful images?

Any steer opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Jarvo

Just look at the floating point performance. In general though number of cores if more important than frequency on modern processing applications.

Ryzen 5 knocks blocks off the i5 if you're multitasking or the software used supports all their cores during multicore processing. They also overclock quite well if you're confident. Plus they're cheaper!

I mentioned elsewhere I have two, three year old, overclocked & liquid cooled Ryzen 5 1600s at home. Brilliant for what they cost.

Doing processing of astro imaging is not the same as gaming.

I wish it was as simple as some suggest. It depends on the specific software app you want to use.   Has it been tuned for GPU or multi thread use?  There is no one right answer.  

I think Ryzen are the leaders at the moment when it comes to cores!

im still using an i7 9750h with 32gb ram. It deals with my 61mp camera just fine. 

I’d seriously recommend an m.2 nvme ssd As these are much faster than standard ssd’s! 

A good test if you have pixinsight is the benchmark text -

2437BAF0-7B4D-45EC-AA55-26A5AC6F0C68.jpeg

I have a recent 2.9 ghz i9 macbook pro with 32gb of Ram (Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB graphics) , I also have an AMD Threadripper 32 core  system that has 2xVega Frontier gpu, fully watercooled (plus 2 spare watercooled vegas if required - each vega being 25Tflops) 96GB Ram, with £1k monitor running windows 10 Pro

I did a large PI integration on the macbook in a few minutes no problem and had no inclination to use the windows box, macbook is more convenient. Maybe if I were doing something heavy with a large video I would use the windows box but for PI/PS i9 is fine

Edited by billhinge

The new generation of Ryzen processors are caning intel at the moment....  But as far as astro imaging or stacking is concerned any modern day processor is fine.  You don't need a 32 core overclocked CPU to stack images in Deep Sky Stacker.....

Edited by malc-c

Thanks for all the excellent responses Guys. Really appreciate you taking the time out to reply. 
In the end I got a great deal on a Laptop with an I7 with 512 Gb of SSD. 
I did a sample of an older Venus Ser file and it took literally minutes (posted in the planetary bit). 
Bring on Mars,,,

• Like 1