Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skewed bubble-level on a new iOptron SkyGuider Pro. Is there a way to fix it?

soundwave

Hi all,

I recently received my iOptron SkyGuider Pro that I ordered from FLO and I just noticed that the bubble-level is not situated correctly.

I believe that I didn't notice it at first because I'm currently using a ballhead, so the mount itself stays polar-aligned, but I suspect it will cause issues when I start using the counterweight.

I have emailed iOptron to ask about it. Should I also email FLO?

Is there a way I can fix it myself? 

Thank you for any help,

itai

IMG_20200626_122424.thumb.jpg.f1073b72dda7584810b6cc20b4f771ec.jpg

IMG_20200626_122258.thumb.jpg.3b2b92b04cb065c94259394320d587c5.jpg

Any hardware store should have a similar dot level one could place on a flat spot on the mount and leave the faulty one in place. I would lean toward keeping the little level in my pocket and only use it during setup. Of course iOptron may choose to replace the whole mount.

I have yet to come across any of these bubble levels that is accurately set up - just another gap in the manufacturer's quality control monitoring. It's taken some time but I finally got used to the bubble being displaced as shown when my SW AZ-ED5 mount is actually level.Bubble.thumb.JPG.d7d1e00ffcb266e1c9047e744f0d7d04.JPG

• Like 1

I have several astro-related things with bubble levels on them. Even on expensive stuff, such as the EQ6 head on my Berlebach Planet tripod, and on all the others, the bubble level isn't even remotely accurate. I always use a premium straight level in both horizontal axes  if I want to get things level. Putting a dot where true level is on your bubble levels is also a good idea. - I hadn't thought of that.

M

Had the same issue with my CEM120, The bubble levels are often inaccurate, ive a friend that has it on there Skywatcher, and thats miles out. All I did was use another bubble level on a flat part of the mount, I may be at an advantage though as its a permanent set up in the obsy, so I only had to do it once.......

The integral bubble is only used to get you in the ballpark but shouldn't really be relied upon. A good level like this Draper Expert 69550 Cast Torpedo Plumbsite Level 250mm is what I rely upon. Once you have levelled the mount with the level check out where the bubble lies on the integral level, mark it with a couple of dots and it will be good enough next time.

Thank you all for your comments!

For now, I've marked the bubble's position when the mount is actually leveled. 

Returning it (even just the black part) would be too much hassle indeed, but it would be interesting to see what replies I'll get from iOptron and FLO. 

Other than that, the SkyGuider is functioning very well.

IMG_20200626_140147.thumb.jpg.93ec6e9e5a6bb44890240d7dfbd5629e.jpg

The skywatcher ones can be pealed out or pushed out.  If you spent 15 minutes, leveling the tripod first, then the mount to re install the bubble (Drip some superglue in the edges when its good), you will always benefit from it.  A normal spirit level cant do the measurement at once.  Nothing more accurate as a circular bubble level who measure all directions.
(says a rookie stargazer, but lifetime stairmaker)