Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Suitable AltAz mount for a Bresser AR-127L?

So after thinking i was settling on an EvoStar 120 Refractor, the slightly larger and incredibly good looking Bresser AR-127L has popped up and has thrown all my previous research on what to build for an EvoStar 120 setup out the window.

Any suggestions for a good AltAz mount for it? Ive currently got a PowerSeeker 80EQ Refractor and i just couldnt get on with the EQ mount as i like to explore, look around and star hop/interested in seeing the planets. No interest in photography currently either.

Thanks for any suggestions/discussion, this place is great!

10 minutes ago, InterstellarTim said:

So after thinking i was settling on an EvoStar 120 Refractor, the slightly larger and incredibly good looking Bresser AR-127L has popped up and has thrown all my previous research on what to build for an EvoStar 120 setup out the window.

Any suggestions for a good AltAz mount for it? Ive currently got a PowerSeeker 80EQ Refractor and i just couldnt get on with the EQ mount as i like to explore, look around and star hop/interested in seeing the planets. No interest in photography currently either.

Thanks for any suggestions/discussion, this place is great!

Beofre you finish making your mind up, have you seen the price of the Celestron 120 on Altair's site at the moment? (Same optically as the Skywatcher) https://www.altairastro.com/celestron-omni-xlt-120-optical-tube-assembly-2819-p.asp 

Wow thanks! Had no idea this refractor existed in Celestrons catalogue and it was my starting point brand wise for all types of scopes.

Nice pic! Could see it (Griffith Obs) from our hotel room when staying at Lowes On Hollywood Boulevard but never got to Visit it!

Just to throw another spanner in the works have you not considered a Skywaycher Star Travel 120 as it is shorter and a good bit lighter.

10 minutes ago, InterstellarTim said:

Wow thanks! Had no idea this refractor existed in Celestrons catalogue and it was my starting point brand wise for all types of scopes.

Nice pic! Could see it (Griffith Obs) from our hotel room when staying at Lowes On Hollywood Boulevard but never got to Visit it!

• Like 1

Lol, thanks. Ever since I’ve been there I realised how much it features in tv programmes set in LA.

I’ve started trying to make it conditions of any holiday that we visit any local observatory during our stay. Last time I did was the Fabra observatory overlooking Barcelona last year for a lunar observing evening and tour of the museum.

5E959F6D-DE9E-4CE0-8E0B-C8E1611803F1.jpeg

F7A65B75-1EE3-459B-B946-96A3FA282F71.jpeg

DEAF4DBD-C0E7-4795-A258-BE2E02890DB3.jpeg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, banjaxed said:

Just to throw another spanner in the works have you not considered a Skywaycher Star Travel 120 as it is shorter and a good bit lighter.

Thats where i started when looking at SkyWatchers but for my wants the focal ratio of the EvoStar tubes made more sense. I mean ive been lead to believe that they will be better for moon/planets and general star stuff, im a total beginner but really want something that impresses me and that i can enjoy and considering the pricetag of what im looking to put together i need to and am taking a more imformed approach than what i did with my current scope - does CA bother me? Not really from what ive seen when looking at the moon with my current Powerseeker80 EQ which i was happy to take a punt on being 115£ (not cheap but cheap enough to write it off if it wasnt for me at all - which the eq mount largely is im afraid for me personally). Would i notice a difference between the StarTravel/EvoStar or am i following the professional criticisms too closely? Maybe.

Going back to thinking about getting the StarTarvel 120 sounds like i would be able to use my choice of mount with it (the AZ GTi wifi or AZ5 Deluxe) as i was reccomended that the length of the EvoStar would be an issue using it with those mounts.

6 minutes ago, InterstellarTim said:

Going back to thinking about getting the StarTarvel 120 sounds like i would be able to use my choice of mount with it (the AZ GTi wifi or AZ5 Deluxe) as i was reccomended that the length of the EvoStar would be an issue using it with those mounts.

As I mentioned on your other thread...

The ST120 works very well indeed on an AZ5, but you must use the steel tripod for this (I have this one... https://www.firstlightoptics.com/tripods/sky-watcher-38-stainless-steel-tripod.html), otherwise it would not be very stable at all and likely over the weight limit for the standard tripod supplied with the AZ5.

39 minutes ago, Steve Clay said:

I have a skytee on an eq6 tripod. My Ed120 sits on it a treat. Rock solid and the slo mo controls are great. The AZ 100 looks stunning but the price reflects that too.

+1 for the Skytee, very solid and the supplied tripod is an EQ5 class 1.75" steel tripod too... might be worth considering for future proofing for another £120 ish (over the AZ5 and steel tripod) ?

I have both and recommend them both 🙂

Edited by HollyHound

+2 for the Slytee or the TS AZ5. Basicly the same mounts. Not very sophistcated or high build quality but most importantly it simply works. You have to spend a fair bit more to get a better mount. 

Edited by johninderby

Thanks for the double update HollyHound! Steel tripod is a must consideration here dont worry :) You can tell im a newbie to all of this when the looks alone of the Bresser 127 are more of a pull to getting that scope (the extra 7mm of aperture for the relatively little extra cost is also a major factor too though) I had a moment where i was looking at the 150 flavour too, thought the price and size eventually brought me back to reality!

The SkyTee II seems my best option if im going the route of the Bresser or StarEvo, its just abit more than what i was thinking of spending pushing the build to 600 rather my initial 500 budget (which has since pushed to £200 that the Celestron Inspire 100AZ took it to, which was then ballooned to £320 when looking at the StarSense Explorer DX 100AZ which has since gone to the above when looking at 120mm refractors 🤣)

• Thanks 1

Search or place a wanted ad for a skytee. They come up on ABS frequently. I think there is an AZ5 there at the moment that would get you going while looking for a skytee. Then sell the AZ5 for pretty much what you paid 2nd hand.

I don't think the AZ5 would cope with a 127L. The Skytee II would but do upgrade the dovetail clamp before putting the scope on the mount. The stock clamps are very poor quality.

An alternative would be a Giro Ercole if you can find one.

I've put some quite heavy scopes on my Giro Ercole and Skytee II mounts:

lzos130berlercole.JPG

lzosst2.JPG

Thanks John!

looks impressive, not sure what the wife would think having that in the back of the lounge here ha.

any recommendations for dovetail clamp upgrades? Had a look on FLO but once again in new territory now (and here was me hoping that would be the end of it! I’ve seen steel tripod and SkyTree Mount packages at least which will help if second hand don’t come up) 

• Like 1

I use the ADM clamps but there are alternatives as @johninderby shows above.

Another issue to consider is the overall height of the mount. The 127L is a long scope. If you observe when seated then the stock tubular steel tripod option for the Skytee II might be OK. If you prefer to stand then you will need something taller.

Mounting a large aperture, long refractor, effectively, throws up some interesting challenges !

2 hours ago, InterstellarTim said:

....looks impressive, not sure what the wife would think having that in the back of the lounge here ha....

The scope is a 130mm F/9.2 triplet so about the same size as the 127L. Perhaps a touch heavier at 9.5kg.

12 hours ago, John said:

I use the ADM clamps but there are alternatives as @johninderby shows above.

Another issue to consider is the overall height of the mount. The 127L is a long scope. If you observe when seated then the stock tubular steel tripod option for the Skytee II might be OK. If you prefer to stand then you will need something taller.

Mounting a large aperture, long refractor, effectively, throws up some interesting challenges !

Or use the Eq5 extension post. Which granted,  is adding to the cost

19 minutes ago, Steve Clay said:

Or use the Eq5 extension post. Which granted,  is adding to the cost

I use the extension for mine. To be fair the out lay is so worth it for comfy observing. I use a CG5 2" steel leg tripod, the EQ5 extension & HEQ5 on top. Sure I know that's not an AZ mount, but the setup copes with the 127L perfectly.

The mount/tripod is so important. If its not right the experience will be so off putting which unfortunately happens far to often for folk. 

Rob