NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Got my new zoom and I’m scared

FMA

1 hour ago, FMA said:

Look what my finger is pointing.....

when looking through it will it hurt my balls?

thanks

smile!🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

3ADDBE9C-994E-4839-9D14-BF1D467C234E.jpeg

I've got the same sticker on a Meade Super Plossl 15mm eyepiece. It's a bit of a pain in the nethers, but I don't bother with it. 🤣

20200618_214221.jpg

9 minutes ago, festoon said:

What is the chemical in the product that warrants this warning?

Probably just about anything given the way the law is framed, apparently.  It might refer to lead (though I'm not sure how often it is used any more, but replacements may be considered equally carcinogenic) being used in the glass.  Or it could be chromium used on the eyepiece barrel (assuming it is chromed).  Or it could be solvents used in the paint used.

James

• Like 1

I used to store an Aero Ektar 7" F2.5  lens in the bedroom until I discovered the real reason for my having two heads! :rolleyes2:  Radiation from the glass? 😱
No, it was genetic. ;) Mind you, they do say that two heads are better than one. :icon_clown::icon_clown: Particularly if both are no longer working properly. :icon_scratch::icon_scratch:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1) don't grind up the eyepiece and eat it.

2) don't drink out of the eyepiece

It just means there is a material in the item that can be carcinogenic.

Lead in paint won't harm you unless you eat it, drink it, or chew dry paint (which, apparently, many small tots did).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Don Pensack said:

1) don't grind up the eyepiece and eat it.

2) don't drink out of the eyepiece

It just means there is a material in the item that can be carcinogenic.

Lead in paint won't harm you unless you eat it, drink it, or chew dry paint (which, apparently, many small tots did).

They used to think the same about arsenic in the victorian times. Scores of people, including many children were dying for no apparent reason.

Some very well known industrialists swore there was no way on earth arsenic in wallpaper could affect people, these people though were generally involved in the production of wallpaper, copper and arsenic. 

Perhaps the label should state "Do not consume this telescope eyepiece or attempt to use it as a drinking vessel" to be sure.

Sort of thing that made "Wonko the Sane" the person he was. Funnily enough, he lived in California :smiley:

Douglas Adams was ahead of his time ........

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

I have a couple of radioactive camera lenses, never been a problem....

Alan

Indeed, my Takumar 35mm f2 lens from the early 1970s is supposed to be very mildly radioactive. But it’s too big to swallow so not a problem....😀

• Haha 1