NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tube rings

I was going to put a handle on my tube rings to aid moving my 5" Achromatic refractor unfortunately I cannot.

There is nowhere to attach them, to go down the DIY route I would have to drill a hole through the rings and being thin aluminium I am apprehensive about attaching one in case it snaps the whole thing. 

So I thought I will buy some Skywatcher ones should be easy enough well I thought wrong. 

My scope measures 132mm in diameter Skywatcher do 120mm and 140mm but nothing in between. 

Primaluce do a set of 134mm tube rings but they cost £226 more than the scope is worth. 

So I am open to any suggestions from anyone who can think of something. 

20200616_123210.jpg

20200616_124126.jpg

As you say Paul the myriad size of tube rings is mind boggling, obviously not their first consideration when designing scopes.

Primaluce do a fair selection at a price I know because I bought some for my WO Megrez 72 that came with a clamshell.

I did see some someone had made from about inch wide stainless steel bent to the tube size with ends bent up to attach a handle and lined with felt.

Dave

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neil H said:

Paul can't you drill through the thick block part of the ring that's in the photo you only need one screw per ring 

Its only 3 mm and aluminium I would have to countersink from underneath. I dont want to chance that if it breaks at that point I am snookered. Trying to find rings that fit is near impossible.

Hi Paul,

Like you I baulked at the idea of spending silly money on rings for a carry handle, but on my 2 metre tube I needed one. I bought a pair of cheap rings which were about 8mm too big and cut the 4mm thick rubber of an old car mat in strips as shown. Worked a treat.

IMG_1646.JPG

IMG_1647.JPG

IMG_1648.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Paul,

Just thinking aloud here..could this material be used to pack out the gap in the SW rings and also allow you to fit a handle?

It comes in various thicknesses including 3,5 and 10mm and is supposed to be flexible (maybe could be wrapped around your tube and stuck to the tube with adhesive?

Or alternatively line your SW rings with it?

https://www.easyfoam.co.uk/zotefoam-plastazote.php

Cheers,

Dave

2 minutes ago, Saganite said:

Hi Paul,

Like you I baulked at the idea of spending silly money on rings for a carry handle, but on my 2 metre tube I needed one. I bought a pair of cheap rings which were about 8mm too big and cut the 4mm thick rubber of an old car mat in strips as shown. Worked a treat.

IMG_1646.JPG

IMG_1647.JPG

IMG_1648.JPG

Great solution Steve, much better than mine which just followed your suggestion!

Could that be Andromeda that benefitted from your genius?? 😂😂

Dave

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saganite said:

No need to glue the strips in Paul. A bit of a faff keeping them in place as you close the rings but once done that 's it. Good luck

PS the rings are inexpensive Skywatcher 's

I am just looking now £21 plus delivery bargain Thank you so much I knew if I wrote on here someone would come up with something. Come up trumps again Thank you again.

2 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I am just looking now £21 plus delivery bargain Thank you so much I knew if I wrote on here someone would come up with something. Come up trumps again Thank you again.

That is the beauty of this forum isn't it .

• Like 3

Well ended up buying the 140mm skywatcher rings at first sent for some 3mm of the above link then we took the dew shield off and measured the diameter of the scope.

Turned out it was 130mm so I sent for the 5mm stuff as well put the 5mm on could not close the rings took half off and replaced with the 3mm now it fastens.

Just hope this will not affect the alignment of the scope now.

Paul

• Like 1