Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Amazon Should Know Better - Sun Eyepiece Filter.

johninderby

Came across this while browsing Amazon. Have reported it to Amazon. Shudder to think that someone could innocently buy this incredibly dangerous Sun eyepiece filter and actually use it. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rouku-Astronomical-Telescope-Accessories-Full-aluminum/dp/B084CZB2L3/ref=sr_1_6?crid=ITJZYLESWPUS&dchild=1&keywords=solar+filter+telescope&qid=1591663505&rnid=560800&s=electronics&sprefix=solar+filter%2Caps%2C144&sr=1-6

“2. High definition: high brightness, the effect is more shocking! The observation is very comfortable.” 🤔

Its strange that my first Tal came with one of these- great optics and serious build but were  they not aware how dangerous these can be?!? It had a projection screen too which makes it stranger still- unless they thought you’d only use it to dim the projection  🤷‍♂️

I have reported these sellers on numerous occasions....with no positive result.

Can we sue Amazon for negligence when someone suffers eye damage???

Edited by Merlin66
Spelling

Yes I have joined in with reporting this one. Thank you for highlighting it.

On a positive note. I have in the past reported dangerous items to Amazon and they have been promptly removed from sale.
These were electrical safety issues where it was easy to point out non compliance, quoting EU standards, and suggest trading standards if they did not take action.

David.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, John said:

Very dangerous items:

Thanks for attaching Steve Tonkins demonstration video John. Most impressive, and somewhat terrifying! That filter was also  circle V, which some people may presume would be safe, or at least of a higher quality than some cheaper Chinese filters. Great to witness the danger from a safe angle!

Many years ago a friend aimed his 8" SCT at the Sun in an attempt to project the solar disk onto an A4 pad. It was a brilliant image, and being curious I suggested he place the pad close to the eyepiece to see what happened. In seconds burst into flames burning like a laser through multiple pages. Being bright, I determined there and then never to look through a telescope directly at the Sun. Back then i had a 60mm Astral 500 refractor that came with such a filter. I immediately destroyed the filter, as I thought that even a 60mm would be a pretty effective eyeball poacher. 

• Like 2