Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyes of Clavius

Kyle Allen

Hello everyone, this is my first post on the forum! 

I’m currently enjoying observing the moon with my Skywatcher Skyliner 200P. Clavius and the Straight Wall are nicely placed along the terminator this evening. The floor of Clavius is in shadow but sunlight is reflecting off the two craters within it. Worth taking a look if you have the chance!

I have attached a picture I took with my phone. Hope you enjoy 😀

CEF8F92B-63B2-486A-98B8-74067842D435.jpeg

• Like 11

Welcome! I was looking with my binoculars to and spotted clavius sunrise. Straight wall was nice and catena Davey just viable too. The days around 50% phase spoil us with detail. What magnification were you using?

PeterW

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Welcome! I was looking with my binoculars to and spotted clavius sunrise. Straight wall was nice and catena Davey just viable too. The days around 50% phase spoil us with detail. What magnification were you using?

PeterW

The picture was taken at 220x but I don’t usually use such high magnifications. I’ve just backed down to 110x and the view is very nice 😀

27 minutes ago, Kyle Allen said:

I’m currently enjoying observing the moon with my Skywatcher Skyliner 200P. Clavius and the Straight Wall are nicely placed along the terminator this evening. The floor of Clavius is in shadow but sunlight is reflecting off the two craters within it. Worth taking a look if you have the chance!

Nice pic & welcome. Just had a look at a couple of phone pics I had taken tonight, had noticed that detail. 👍

Funnily enough, using the same telescope and a BST StarGuider 8mm ED eyepiece, I took a smartphone photo of the same feature! 😯

Now I know what the feature is called. 👍

20200530_224929.jpg

20200530_224931.jpg

45 minutes ago, Kyle Allen said:

Very nice shot Kyle. I’ve just taken this screenshot from a live video broadcast I did on FB a little while back; shows the Straight Wall and Clavius.

0F689595-312E-4E41-957A-20DC64C062C3.jpeg

Welcome, pleased to read your post.

It looked great along the terminator, I spent a long time in awe of the views. I also caught Clavius & the straight wall through my 10mm on the 10” Dob. I liked the little alien at the bottom as well. :) The Apennine Mountain region was also very sharp. :) CC341505-FA65-44D4-BC24-D71DF9CC5FDB.thumb.jpeg.95663cdc13827af465f24f4d11b9a98e.jpeg 

Edited by Scooot

3 hours ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

I also took a few shots of the wall last night. Also with a 200p, this was at x375. The conditions  were very favorable for high power views.

Baz

It seems that the BST StarGuider 3.2mm ED EP is working well for you.  I think you had better viewing conditions last night, than I did.

Edited by Guest

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the photo. Nice. I spent a good while looking at the moon last night too.  Gylden valley stood out. Worth a look.

Steve

Edited by Trikeflyer

26 minutes ago, merlin100 said:

It seems that the BST StarGuider 3.2mm ED EP is working well for you.  I think you had better viewing conditions last night, than I did.

Morning Merlin.

The conditions were fantastic last night. Very clear. I got some great lunar views with the 3.2mm at 375. I had a very good look around with it. I had to drop back to X300 and x240 eventually though due to eye relief. Them eye worms started to kick in 🙂

Another beautifully clear evening and the moon certainly delivered a lot of fascinating and intriguing detail last night indeed! That pair of goggles peaking out of Clavius was the highlight though :) 

The moon makes a great backdrop for space junk- I love it when it happens as it did last night a couple of times strange objects floating across its expanse sharply silhouetted. Last night I saw a glider with a 50km wingspan skim across its surface casting a low altitude shadow as it went! Absurd but quite vivid 😉

This was strange to me though. On Friday night I’d also been enjoying the moon but with wider eps it was so bright I should really have used a filter as when I looked away I was night blinded and everything looked purple- it was almost painful. But last night with the same eps I was absolutely fine 🤷‍♂️ Could the moon change that much in brightness from one night to the next? Pretty sure it can’t so it must be my eyes!

Looking forward to tonight's instalment :)

Edited by markse68

7 hours ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

I also took a few shots of the wall last night. Also with a 200p, this was at x375. The conditions  were very favorable for high power views.

Baz

DSCPDC_0001_BURST20200530212412381_COVER.JPG

Very good straight wall, also caught catina Davey too. Maybe I need a bigger scope?!

peter

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Very good straight wall, also caught catina Davey too. Maybe I need a bigger scope?!

peter

Thanks Peter. I'm still quite the amateur and don't know many of the moons features, to be honest. Whatever carina Davey is I only got it in the shot by chance!

the 200p does pick out some lovely lunar detail, the phone shot doesn't really do it justice. Conditions were a big help last night to, very clear and enjoyable!

Regards

Baz

Spotted the same phenomenon yesterday evening with the 18", mag 128x (seeing rather poor) for the first time, IIRC, and was reminded of it's description in an ancient, but still very recommendable book by G.P Serviss, "Astronomy with an Opera-glass"; a vivid observing report by Neison is quoted:

https://archive.org/details/astronomywithope00servuoft/page/132/mode/2

Stephan

11 hours ago, Nyctimene said:

Spotted the same phenomenon yesterday evening with the 18", mag 128x (seeing rather poor) for the first time, IIRC, and was reminded of it's description in an ancient, but still very recommendable book by G.P Serviss, "Astronomy with an Opera-glass"; a vivid observing report by Neison is quoted:

https://archive.org/details/astronomywithope00servuoft/page/132/mode/2

Stephan

Pretty spectacleular wasn’t it! 

@Barry-W-Fenner google is your friend 😉 your image is really good I think- so much detail and sharpness but yea- it’s not the same as seeing it yourself :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_(crater)

think this is it

5DE00105-EFE6-4164-A8D8-C3CE3A3AF121.jpeg

Edited by markse68
  • Like 1