Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Looking for some cheap eyepieces for 200p dob

Hi all,

After a very long break and recovering  from a knee injury I’m finally well enough to use my dob again. I am looking for some cheap eyepieces maybe about two between £100-150. I used to have 2 inch explorer scientific eyepieces which I loved but unfortunately had to get rid of due to financial problems. I had used bst eyepieces before but wasn’t a big fan on them , maybe I could try them again. Is there any other brand you would recommend ? I currently don’t have any at the moment so not sure what would be the best sizes to start with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Edited by Olli

6 hours ago, Waddensky said:

A decent zoom eyepiece like the Hyperion from Baader gives you a lot of eyepieces in one eyepiece. I'm pretty sure they can be found second-hand for £ 150 or less.

£185 on flo  ,I think Rother valley do them as well  £185 , the 8 mm to 24 is ment to be the best size 

They have a Celestron £85 

Edited by Neil H

10 hours ago, Olli said:

I had used bst eyepieces before but wasn’t a big fan on them , maybe I could try them again.

What was the problem with the BSTs? If we know the problem we can try to avoid it with any suggestions, although the BSTs are probably the best all rounders at the £50 price point.

Also, when you say you had 2" ES eyepieces, were those 100° eyepieces or are we only talking long focal lengths in the series with narrower fields of view so only low magnification observing?

• Like 2

Hi Olli, have you looked at the OVL Nirvana eyepieces? I use the 16mm in my 200P and it gives a very useful 75x magnification, which I also Barlow for higher power. FLO sell them for £70 and I can’t tell any difference between it and my more expensive Explore Scientific 11mm eyepiece. The wide field of view is very useful in a Dobsonian 😀

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ricochet said:

What was the problem with the BSTs? If we know the problem we can try to avoid it with any suggestions, although the BSTs are probably the best all rounders at the £50 price point.

Definitely.

The BSTs would be the goto recommendation atm.

It'll be difficult to give any suggestions otherwise.

I like all the EPs in my sig with the 8" dobs. :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neil H said:

£185 on flo  ,I think Rother valley do them as well  £185 , the 8 mm to 24 is ment to be the best size 

They have a Celestron £85 

I was looking at a zoom eyepiece but wasn’t sure if they were worth it as it. Though they  would be more convenient 

Edited by Olli

2 hours ago, Ricochet said:

Also, when you say you had 2" ES eyepieces, were those 100° eyepieces or are we only talking long focal lengths in the series with narrower fields of view so only low magnification observing?

I just wasn’t too keen on the eye relief and was experiencing some star trails round the edges of the eyepieces, maybe it was a bad eyepiece? I had the 82 degree versions, 24mm and 18mm.

2 hours ago, Kyle Allen said:

Hi Olli, have you looked at the OVL Nirvana eyepieces? I use the 16mm in my 200P and it gives a very useful 75x magnification, which I also Barlow for higher power. FLO sell them for £70 and I can’t tell any difference between it and my more expensive Explore Scientific 11mm eyepiece. The wide field of view is very useful in a Dobsonian 😀

Hi no I haven’t looked into them. I will have a look thanks.

32 minutes ago, Olli said:

I just wasn’t too keen on the eye relief and was experiencing some star trails round the edges of the eyepieces, maybe it was a bad eyepiece? I had the 82 degree versions, 24mm and 18mm.

It sounds like you had one of the longer focal lengths, the 25mm by any chance? The 5, 8 and 12mm work well with an 8" Dob, although the eye relief is the same. The X-Cel LX's are pretty similar, but with a touch more eye relief, maybe a touch better in terms of correction for a couple of the options (7, 9mm?).

Did you have eyepieces other than the 18 and 24mm ES82°s? With my 8" Dob I use 5/7/10/14/28, which is a pretty good coverage for DSOs.

28 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

It sounds like you had one of the longer focal lengths, the 25mm by any chance? The 5, 8 and 12mm work well with an 8" Dob, although the eye relief is the same. The X-Cel LX's are pretty similar, but with a touch more eye relief, maybe a touch better in terms of correction for a couple of the options (7, 9mm?).

Did you have eyepieces other than the 18 and 24mm ES82°s? With my 8" Dob I use 5/7/10/14/28, which is a pretty good coverage for DSOs.

Hi, yes think it might of been the 25mm I also had one but can’t remember what it was. I only had those two unfortunately. 

Edited by Olli

8 hours ago, Olli said:

I was looking at a zoom eyepiece but wasn’t sure if they were worth it as it. Though they  would be more convenient 

The Baader has excellent value for the price, perhaps a little narrow on the 24 mm setting but that's a common point of attention for zooms in this range.

How about Baader Morpheus?  I am a convert!  You should be able to pick up second hand ones within your budget

Edited by JOC